Heat pump dealers for direct purchase?

l1ltaral1l

Bronze Supporter
Jul 16, 2019
Walnutport, PA
We just finished our new build and live in NE Pennsylvania. We did not get a heater, but wired and plumbed for one (electric heat pump) with a pad. I live for price checking things. PB told us a heater would be $4200. I'm assuming it's a Hayward (as that is what all our equip is). Any tips or places to price check for me to buy the unit directly? I'm guessing there isn't muuuuuch of a price difference for this type of thing, but had to ask because I'm cheap...uhhh I mean thrifty :LOL:

l1ltaral1l

Bronze Supporter
Jul 16, 2019
Walnutport, PA
I used the calculator on Pentair's website and it came back with a recommendation of (2) units of the UltraTemp 120. TWO?! They are listed at $3500 each. This seems incorrect.

Also looking at the Raypak Classic 140k BTU for $2900....

Always leary of online sites. Any recs welcome!

gonfishin

Gold Supporter
Jun 13, 2017
Rochester, MN
Two years ago, I got my Raypak HP from poolheatpumps.com. They had the best price at the time for the model I wanted.

I spent a lot of time researching and looking before deciding on the Raypak. Then it was only a matter of finding the best price.

Reactions: l1ltaral1l

Newdude

Jun 16, 2019
NY
I have the mastertemp 120. Its been $3500 since i got mine 7 years ago. My PB charged me $6k which included the pre-cast pad/electric and plumbing. The way i see it he probably made 2K off me but 7 years ago we didnt have the online options that we do now. Info was 10% of what it is now and we only got free shipping at xmas. Shipping cost a fortune at the time. You did real good having the PB make it ready but not install the heater. Most of them would have added their normal profit margin to the heater. Instead you only paid for the parts and labor.

ps0303

TFP Expert
In The Industry
Jul 6, 2011
FL
Best to also consider the warranty on the unit if purchased online. Some manufacturers cut the warranty period by half if you buy on line and especially if you do not get a licensed contractor to install it. Just something to look for.

l1ltaral1l

Bronze Supporter
Jul 16, 2019
Walnutport, PA
Thanks! Excellent tip about the warranty.

We would have the electrician who did our pool install it. He is an independent electrician who just happens to work with our PB for the past 20+ years.

Ironeaglex

Jun 2, 2018
Allentown pa
Just stumbled upon this thread and noticed you are from Walnutport, PA. I live in S. Whitehall (grew up in Whitehall). Our pool was built in 2016 and looking to get a heat pump this year and was wondering if you are still looking for one also? All my equipment that was installed is hayward so will probably stay with that brand. I was not thinking about a heater when we purchased the pool since our backyard receives sun from around 7am to ~5:30pm in the summertime but with the wacky weather we have and rain, the water stays too cool (under 80) and doesn't warm up until July when we receive the hot temps with humidity. So I would like to get more use out of the pool.

Like your pool, I went with gray steps but did not think about the return jets and skimmer which are white and wish the PB would have mentioned it when selecting the steps. Any luck finding gray replacements?