Hayward Omni controller question

pb4uswim

Jul 23, 2020
Michigan
I can run my equipment from my controller at the pump or from an app. I’m trying to keep my pool heated to a certain temp. I just heated it up to 85 for some warm days and I don’t want the water temp to drop below 70 again on the cold days. The problem I have is that I don’t think I can run the system based on the need for heat. To get heat, the pump has to be running. It also has to be running at a good rate - I think about 75%. I want the heater to turn the pump on when the water temp falls below a certain set point. Is there any way to do this?

The pump needs to be running for water from the pool to flow past the water temperature sensor for the Omni to know what the pool temperature is. I think you can run your VS pump at a low rpm 24/7 and use very little electricity to keep the Omni system running with the current water temperature. Then set the heater so it raises the pump rpm when your heater turns on.

Maybe @PoolBrews can take it from here on how to set the heater and pump RPMS.

Reactions: pb4uswim
The pump is central to the system. The only thing that turns it on is a manual command to start it or a schedule. The heater can be set to run the pump at a minimum speed whenever it calls for heat, but it can't turn the pump on if it's off.

If you really need to keep it a certain temp 24x7, the only solution is to set the pump to run at a really low RPM 24x7, which will cost next to nothing (about $5/month at 25%), then set the temp for the heater. This will let the heater run as needed whenever the temp in the pool drops below the set point.

If you have an SWG, you'll either need to dial it down, or set it to run on a schedule.

If you really need to keep it a certain temp 24x7, the only solution is to set the pump to run at a really low RPM 24x7, which will cost next to nothing (about $5/month at 25%), then set the temp for the heater. This will let the heater run as needed whenever the temp in the pool drops below the set point.

If you have an SWG, you'll either need to dial it down, or set it to run on a schedule.
This is exactly what I want to do, however I don’t see how the heater will work since the pump needs to be above 50% for the heater to heat. I’ll test it, but I don’t see how the heater calling to heat will bring up the speed on the pump. I’ll test it.

Yes, the SWG is a bit of a problem, but it’s easy to just shut that off a day or two when we’re not really using the pool. I can run the chlorine up to around ten and turn it off then back on around four. That will take a day or two if not being used, maybe more with the solar cover on.

There's a setting on the Omni for this. Go into Config, Edit, and Config Wizard. Select your body of water, select Heaters, then Heat Pump. One of the options is Min Filter Speed. Set this to 75%, if that's what is needed for your heat pump. As long as the filter is running at any speed, when heat is called for, the Omni will bring the pump up to Min Filter Speed for the duration of heating, then drop it back down to whatever it was running at.

I would test to see what your actual min is. I set my heat pump to a high temp, then tested by starting my filter at 25% and increased by 5% until my heater kicked on. For me, it was at 70%, so I set it to 75% so a dirty filter won't cause an issue in a month or two :)

Does it make a difference that pb4 has a gas heater and not a HP?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.