Hayward Mega Plus 700 cartridge filter Carnage

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Anyone know why my pool builder recommended a SwimClear C5050 which only has 4 filter cartridges when the filter they installed originally has 8. The lady on the phone just said this is what we do but did not know why. :-(

IMO the number of cartridges in the filter doesn't mater too much, as its filter surface area to consider.
The larger the surface area the less often you have to clean the filter.
On my system with the VSP @3450 RPM the pressure with a clean runs near 10PSI.
Below 1550 RPM there is not measurable pressure but the flow rate is 55 GPM.

Last edited:
Reactions: garywi
Its interesting. My pool builder recommended a SwimClear C5050 which only has 4 filter cartridges when the filter they installed originally has 8.
Gary, what did you end up going with? Did you manage to replace just the bottom with a suitable, modern part or replace the entire filter?

I also have a Hayward Mega Plus 700 cartridge filter that has recently sprung a tiny leak in the base due to a micro-fracture. I see that you're located in Phoenix as well, and I'm guessing your pool may be a Shasta pool?

I have no idea how it occurred other than the plastic just becoming more and more brittle over time. The base is black in color, and I believe it's ABS plastic. The top if beige, and it's a HORRIBLE glass-filled ABS (I think) plastic. If the surface even touches your arm, it instantly causes a rash and itching. I know all about the fiberglass-insulation-itch, but this is 100x worse! No joke! Anyway, I digress. The filter is about 18 years old. Tank pressure on full pump speed is 16-18psi as the Tsunami valves open and close. [Max working pressure of the filter tank per the manual is 50psi]. I've managed to repair the leak with epoxy glue and mesh screening, applying both to the inside and outside of the tank, but I don't expect this to last very long in the brutal summer sunlight. The inside repair should hold, but who knows for how long. Anyway, this filter is awesome with the amount of surface area. Very much needed, IMHO, with respect to our dust storms and general dusty/dirty conditions.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.