Hayward H400IDL2 "CE" Code Remains after Display & Control Board Replacement

2000Hoo

Jun 3, 2012
I could use some assistance. I have a Hayward H400IDL2 pool heater & it recently registered a "CE" error code and ceased operation. I just ordered/replaced both the display board and the control board & the "CE" Code remains. My understanding is that this is a communication error between boards. With both having been replaced, I'm stumped as to what else it could be. Any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks!

Welcome to TFP.

Where did you buy the boards?

Are you sure they are genuine Hayward boards?

We have seen board bought on eBay and other sites that look like OEM boards but are not and don't work correctly.

Reactions: 1poolman1
Thanks for the response. I purchased them from Amazon & had to go look at the boards to see what they were. Just pulled the cover off the heater & the boards appear to have been manufactured by Emerson. Isn't that who makes them for Hayward? Both of the old boards that came out were also Emerson's.

Just pulled the cover off the heater & the boards appear to have been manufactured by Emerson. Isn't that who makes them for Hayward? Both of the old boards that came out were also Emerson's.

Dunno. Never had to look at the boards directly.

Post pics of your old and new boards if you can.

Maybe @1poolman1 @swamprat69 has had hands on with them.

I went ahead and ordered another Hayward control board & installed it this morning in case it was simply a bad or non-OE board. Immediately, the CE code went away on the display & the control/display boards appear to be functioning properly again. That said, while there are no longer any error codes, the heater isn't firing & I just noticed that I'm not seeing the pilot light through the sight glass. If the ignitor were bad, it would throw some sort of code, right?

I've posted a few pics of what I'm working with. If someone happens to see something obvious, by all means, let me know.

Attachments

• IMG_4965.jpg
    IMG_4965.jpg
    568 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_4966.jpg
    IMG_4966.jpg
    564 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_4967.jpg
    IMG_4967.jpg
    549.5 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_4968.jpg
    IMG_4968.jpg
    623.9 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_4969.jpeg
    IMG_4969.jpeg
    724.2 KB · Views: 9
I went ahead and ordered another Hayward control board & installed it this morning in case it was simply a bad or non-OE board. Immediately, the CE code went away on the display & the control/display boards appear to be functioning properly again. That said, while there are no longer any error codes, the heater isn't firing & I just noticed that I'm not seeing the pilot light through the sight glass. If the ignitor were bad, it would throw some sort of code, right?

I've posted a few pics of what I'm working with. If someone happens to see something obvious, by all means, let me know.
You don't have a pilot light. You do have a hot-surface ignitor that can sometimes be seen through that sight glass. You need to check for voltage at the cable attached to it. Do you hear the gas valve "click" on a try for ignition? You valve is very corroded and may not be functioning, it should be replaced. Do you have a troubleshooting guide? One is attached.

Attachments

• uhs-heater-troubleshooting-guide (1).pdf
    4.9 MB · Views: 15
Thanks for your reply & for the download! I just ran the resistance test on the igniter, and it looks like it is bad. I'm going to go ahead & replace it. As for the valve, I think that's working fine. Honestly, I was surprised about the igniter since everything was working perfectly until I had the issue with the control & display boards.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.