Hayward H400 odd noise

Jun 4, 2009
Sullivan County, NY
I just installed a new H400 (to replace an H500 that, to me, died too young).

When the burners light, I hear a low-pitched woosh, and while it's heating, I hear a low-pitched grumbling.

I wonder if my gas pressure is not correct. I know nothing about this.

Below are pictures of the regulator.

IMG-8734

IMG-8733

Does it make sense to measure the gas pressure? Is this something a very handy person (but not a pro) can do?

Thank you!

New heater, new sounds.
400k btu of gas burning creates a low rumble. You probably got used to it with your old heater.
Without training and proper tools, no one should ever mess with the regulator of a gas appliance, especially propane.

Is the supply natural gas or propane?

Is the heater natural gas or propane?

Check the inlet pressure before firing and as the heater is running.

Check the manifold pressure.

Only do what you are comfortable doing.

If you are unsure, have a professional check it out.

What is your altitude?

Is the heater a high altitude or regular?

Thanks everyone!

I have and use only propane, I'm at 1100' asl, I think the piping specs are met for the heater.

I read the testing instructions. Never having used a manometer, and having stuck my fingers in way too many places they didn't belong (with the resulting aggravation that commonly follows), I am indeed loath to start tinkering.

How hard is it to just get a good view of the flame, which I think is a good indicator of both fuel/air mix and possibly pressure, right?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Your flame should be blue, not orange.

I suspect your heater has NG orifices, not LP orifices.

Should you need to change your heater from NG to LP it takes changing the orifices and the gas valve…

I think looking at the lower label on your gas valve will tell you which is installed. If you zoom in you will see it says LP GAS ONLY on the Amazon picture.

1652976093808.png

Last edited:
The heater is supposed to come set up for propane.

And the labels says propane.

I turned it off and am trying to schedule the gas company to come out and check (and adjust if necessary) the pressure.

The heater is outdoors, so there is plenty of fresh air. I am, however, not familiar with the mechanism that controls the air-gas mixture.

Ok, looks like propane.

I would get a professional to check everything including the gas pressure at the inlet static and dynamic and the manifold pressure.

The flame should be mostly blue as described in the manual.

1652977086395.png
1652977230708.png
1652977273022.png

Hayward W3H400FDP​

I would still look at the label on the gas valve.

With all the manufacturing issues I have heard quite a few stories of equipment being manufactured with the incorrect parts.

Reactions: JamesW
There should be a data plate inside the heater and a label outside the heater.

View attachment 412578
View attachment 412580
I am more interested in the label on the has valve...

Haywood H250FD-H400FD Heater Interior.png

1652976093808-png.412538

Reactions: JamesW

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.