Hayward H400 odd noise

Label on heater says propane. I don't see anything on the heater's internal regulator.

Just had the gas company come and check pressure at their regulator (6' from the heater): 13 WC when heater is off; 11 when running.

I asked about checking pressure at the heater's built-in regulator, but he said he doesn't have the required water manometer.

I went ahead and incrementally (1/16 to 1/8 each time) turned down the pressure on the heater's built-in regulator, but it still burns orange and smoke still comes out.

Anything else I can check?

Thanks!

Pull an orifice and check what is stamped on it.

Call Hayward Support and find out what markings are on NG orifices versus LP orifices.

I bought it this past fall and just installed it.
Why is there rust?

Maybe you got a defective or a returned unit instead of a new unit?

Did the box look all new and in original condition?

Maybe the heat exchanger is leaking or the insulation is falling out.

Looking in the view port, it looks all wrong.

Was the heater stored inside or outside from when you received it until you installed it?

Last edited:
Okay, this is really embarrassing.

I believe I figured out what is going on.

In the Fall, my old H500 was failing. I replaced a bunch of parts, but there were whole sections that were rusted and it was leaking. So I decided to buy a new one (so I bought the H400).

But, to keep the H500 going for a couple more weeks, I cannibalized the new H400 by moving the ignitor to the old H500.

When I set up the new H400, I moved the ignitor back to it, but forgot to put the sheet metal cover on it.

After the gas company checked the pressure to the heater, and more research that kept resulting in an air amount issue (it's not like it's a fine air control adjustment like a carburetor), I looked again and saw the opening above the ignitor. I took the cover from the old the H500 (which I intentionally saved), installed it in the new H400 and sure enough, that solved the problem.

So, the engineers must have designed the air flow into the combustion area such that leaving the area above the ignitor open messed it up.

Well, first of all, thank you all so much for your help. You're all not only very smart and informed, but super generous!

Secondly, I'll go hide under a rock for a while....

Reactions: JamesW
We are glad you have found our information helpful. Please, if you can, consider making a donation to TFP. We are staffed by volunteers and are registered as an IRS 501 (c) (3) charity and donations are what keeps the forum operating without advertisements.

Support TFP!

Reactions: JamesW
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.