Has your pool frozen yet?

Cincicobra

Bronze Supporter
Apr 14, 2018
Cincinnati, Ohio
We have had a nasty January here in Ohio and the Midwest in general. The last 2 weeks we have been in single digits and a wind chill often times Sub-Zero. We are finally warming up this weekend, but with this being my first winter with my closed pool I was curious if it had iced over or was still thawed underneath. Yesterday I pulled back my solid cover out of curiosity and who would have guessed it was still liquid!!! Not sure if that is derivative of the solid cover and the water level being 16 inches below the top of the "tile line", but guessing so.

Anyone else have a similar experience or am I just overly curious and should care less.

We had the same polar vortex event, or whatever they call it. Two days ago the high was 3゚ with windchill at -21. Tomorrow it will be in the mid to high fifties and the next day may hit 60. Sheesh.
This is the first winter for this pool, but I give it the same winter attention I gave our previous pool....which is to say little to none. Once it's all winterized and buttoned up for the winter, i pretty much forget about it until spring. We do have a hot tub that we use all winter so I still give that plenty of attention. But aside from the occasional look in the skimmers, check cover pumps, etc., I let the pool enjoy it's well deserved winter sleep. Boisterous teenage pool parties, mermaid meetings and weekly cookouts will be here soon enough. ...or should I say, not soon enough!

When you live in a borderline cold area (on average) it takes a while to see ice on top when temps are fluctuating from the teens to 40's each day, unless you have weeks of cold weather like Dec 2017. Ours does have ice on it now though after the recent unpleasantness. But it may melt by the weekend with 60 degree temps.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.