St. Louis
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
So this post was intended to be a rebuild of a locked up motor and pump head that I discovered when I fired up the IPh this season. However, plans changed slightly the deeper I got into the seized IPh and the more replacement research I performed. It became evident the economics were in favor of just replacing the unit, which is ultimately what I did.

After my water was balanced upon opening, I waited a day or so the fired up the IPh in addition to the SWG. I set the output to off in order to manually drop ph and once adjusted to my liking I turned on the IPh and all seemed to function normally. As a test I manually requested an acid dispense at the controller. The screen indicated it was dispensing, however the pump was not turning. Uh-oh.

At this point I opened the pinch tube cover and manually tried to rotate the dispensing wheel. No joy - it’s clearly locked up tight. Time to dig deeper. I grabbed the dispensing wheel to remove it as it should slide off. Nope seized on to the shaft. With two thin putty knives I worked the blades behind the wheel and was able to carefully pry it off the shaft. It clearly needs some love.

9BB714B8-6D01-4F79-A9F9-9267BB725805.jpeg

The rollers were seized, but I should be able to clean it up and free them once again. Here‘s the shaft and faceplate.
E721B835-ACFB-4972-9C42-FE848DEB3A0C.jpeg
The shaft is still seized up tight. Time to remove the faceplate screws.
42CFB994-584F-4E67-A19E-7A497DC986EF.jpeg
The roller bearing attached to the shaft is really seized on. This will become a problem later.
4B022166-B302-4708-9071-66B54B5D92FC.jpeg
Time to remove the whole unit to inspect the motor.
8D3B562E-7DE7-4D5C-93F9-0CFFC77C937C.jpeg 5FFB5FEB-17D8-4E47-A21D-220C9C87770B.jpeg
Well the rust pretty much explains the windings are rusted solid to the motor shaft. The design is fairly bad as there is no gasket that seals the mounting plate into the housing. Given the unit sits in the weather you’d think a better job of weather resistance would have been designed. The motor leads are also significantly rusted. I’ve got a fix in mind to help prevent weather wear, but I first have to clip the leads to get the motor to the bench for a tear down. Once the motor is on the bench, I need to remove the bearing from the shaft to get to the internal gears and separate the motor from the gearbox.
B8ABC1BB-3E3A-4F2C-95B1-936ADE620064.jpeg

Theoretically this should be a no brainer. I grabbed my small two jaw puller and set about removing the bearing. The bearing doesn’t move. I grab my bigger two jaw puller…..the bearing still doesn‘t move. I grab my biggest jawed pulley remover I used to use on car rebuilds….the bearing just laughs at my efforts! Well now what…I need to get the bearing off to get into the gear box. After some ingenuity and fiddling I slide the faceplate forward snug to the bearing and remove the star headed screws so I could at least inspect the internals. Here’s what I found…

C2F6C5AC-2B31-46D9-98FE-D331D38BD909.jpeg E25E7540-B95E-4D59-8501-71659A5911B9.jpeg
The internal gears are well lubricated and are free. The motor is seized tight and worse seized to the gearbox. I could press the motor out of the gearbox after fiddling with the lock ring but I’d still be stuck without a way to remove the bearing that’s conveniently seized to the shaft. What to do…..

After some searching I find a listing for the older style shure flo pump head on pool zoom. The picture however looks like a Stenner Econ pump head which is what I’m after. I called the company and sure enough confirmed it’s actually an old reference but is the updated stenner Econ pump head. All for $68 plus shipping…ship it! Here’s the link: Shurflo Pump Head For Intelliph Controller

When the pump arrives, it’s indeed the Stenner Econ.
256F08FD-D2E9-49A8-95E6-D03DD4E9835E.jpeg
To be continued….

Last edited:
82FA22E5-EB12-4D26-9D1A-1C7A73F1637B.jpeg
And the rear of the unit….
17E6805C-4A7F-4481-9536-255E405DA831.jpeg
I haven’t yet had the time, but my plan is to solder weatherproof pigtails to the back of the motor, and utilize weatherproof bullet connectors on both the motor leads and the controller leads. This will allow me to easily remove the pump every season at closing by removing 4 screws and unplugging the motor. Then I can store it inside out of the weather with the rest of the electronics and the circulating pump motor as I customarily do. My hope is to minimize weather exposure and try to slow down another seized rusty mess attached to my IPh. I’ll post more pics and updates when I get time to finish the work and fully install the new head.

Pump leads soldered on and weather tight.
F071BAB6-2A46-4B5D-A26F-A5141E611421.jpeg

Last edited:
Several kinds of bad corrosion. I wonder if the pump tube developed a pinhole last season, so a tiny bit of acid was sprayed around inside the unit.

It's not only weather that needs to be sealed out of mechanics and electronics... :cool:

Several kinds of bad corrosion. I wonder if the pump tube developed a pinhole last season, so a tiny bit of acid was sprayed around inside the unit.

It's not only weather that needs to be sealed out of mechanics and electronics... :cool:
I agree and while possible it’s not likely. I replace the pinch tube as a part of annual startup and check it periodically through the season. Other indicators are that the screws holding the faceplate and other hardware were virtually corrosion free. When I removed the faceplate, there was about 1/8 in of water inside the housing that streamed out. The faceplate itself sits back flush inside a grooved channel in the housing. While this design prevents some water water intrusion it really needs a gasket to seal it up tight, and it’s just not there. Gaskets are non existent anywhere on the pump housing. The other option would be a hood that protrudes out from the housing a couple of inches that covers the head, but that would create a service nightmare. 🤦‍♂️ Several design challenges imo, but could be corrected…at the cost of increased expense of the unit. Pentair views the unit as non serviceable and almost consumable and just recommends replacement as the factory option to correct any issues. This was evident a year or so ago when the o-ring that seals the split tank failed on me. Pentair declared it DOA and recommended a new tank for $400. I sourced an $11 o-ring of the correct chemical resistant material and problem solved.

Last bits to finish it off. Quick disconnects installed in the housing ready for the head.
788BF1F9-A543-4978-B001-A3E3E2347935.jpeg
Finished….
ED4DCA52-34F4-4C1D-999F-A0E5CE6DDA4C.jpeg
One item of note. The motor sits very deep in the housing, nearly no clearance. Wire size and soldering can make all the difference in the unit fitting in the housing or not. It’s best to use the smallest gauge for the leads, 16 or maybe even 18. If possible solder the wire perpendicular (90 degrees) to the tabs/motor housing. Not like I did above. That move can make or break the clearance needed to get the faceplate to sit flush.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.