Gold Supporter
Mar 26, 2018
DFW, Texas
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I'm trying to clean the walls of my pool as green algae is starting to form, especially around the big light in the deep end. However, I'm having a hard time actually cleaning it. I'm not sure if I'm not getting enough leverage or what, but when I brush, the algae doesn't really seem to be coming off very well. So I thought I'd get a handheld brush and then just get in the pool and scrub it. Is this a good idea? If so, any particular type of brush to get or not get?

I assume since you have algae you are following the slam process correct? What kind of brush do you have? The Wall Whale makes it much easier to brush the sides of the pool.

I haven't moved into the house yet so I am not slamming yet as I am not there to perform it properly. I don't have the wall whale, just a pretty normal pool wall brush. Well, I have two different basic wall brushes, and neither does a good job. I think I am the problem (not brushing properly?) that's why I was thinking about getting a handheld brush.

- - - Updated - - -

The pool is still clear. Just the traces of algae starting to form around the pool light. I'm trying to keep it from spreading.

I don't know how you can say it performs the same as any other brush. With the Wall Whale all you have to do is push the brush straight down and the tail forces the bristles against the wall of the pool. Where as with a regular brush you have to also pull on the pole in order to get any kind of scrubbing force on the wall.

Exactly what problem are you having?

Yes, the wall whale does a better job of staying against the wall and is easier to move, but it isn't doing a better job of removing the algae, is what I meant. Apologies for not being clear on that.

As for my problem, there is algae growing near my pool light. The algae isn't coming off very well - always seems to be a little left after I brush - when I try to use any brush on a long handle, so I was asking about recommendations for a handheld brush since maybe I could get better leverage that way?

A neighbor said I needed a metal brush. Is that a better idea?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You said the same thing when I first made this post 1.5 weeks ago :) I still have not moved in so I still haven't started my slam yet. I know the algae will come back, that isn't my problem. I'm trying to keep it from getting worse. As of now, the water is still clear and there's just the algae around the light.

If I take the big brush that goes on the pole and hold that big brush in my hand, all of the algae comes off just fine. But that's really awkward and uncomfortable so my thought was to ask if anyone has a suggestion for a handheld brush. I tried the wall whale and it didn't clean the algae any better that the normal brush on the pole, but it's at least easier on my back.

So ... any ideas how to brush my walls clean?

Just got done SLAM myself a few days ago. But I too had been brushing my walls and fixtures with the regular brush but was having issues getting the light clean enough. Then someone suggested I use a toothbrush. So I laid down on my stomach and scrubbed all in and around my return jets, skimmer basket fixture and our light which did have some yucky algae around the rim. Maybe you could try that? It worked great for me. Now that it's clean and clear, as soon as it's warmer I'm gonna jump in and scrub it all again from the inside! Plan on doing that (with a toothbrush for those items) a time or two every week now as well.

Why can't you put more chlorine in? Instead of 1 or 2 gallons, put 3 or 4 at a time (or 5 or 6 or whatever it takes). Have you done a full testing battery yet? If CYA is low enough, I would also put a bunch of pucks in the water to keep chlorine up. All you are doing by brushing is moving the algae to the water and filter.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.