Gunite leveling problem during build

LanieBugUT

May 1, 2021
Pflugerville, TX
Hi. We are in the middle of a new build. Our pool is designed to have a deck that extends directly from our patio and is supposed to be level with our existing patio concrete (no step). Just found out today when tile and coping crew came out, that the excavation crew and gunite crew did not level the forms and gunite correctly with our patio. So we have gunite that has been in place for over a week, and the entire pool is not level. They have to go in and relevel everything-- the tanning ledge, the water feature wall, the edge of the pool, jackhammer the skimmers out, and add gunite in to bring it up to the correct height. Also means our pool will be deeper than originally planned, all though they say they can just add extra plaster.

We are concerned about the integrity of the gunite shell with two separate gunite pieces. Has anyone experienced this before? Did you find a resolution that did not cause issues in the years ahead?

Disappointed,

Elena

• Wow
Reactions: BigPapaSmurf
Welcome to TFP.

Separate applications of gunite are not a problem if they tie things together with rebar and put a bonding coat on the joint areas.

You have to hope that they know how to do that correctly after messing up the levels.

2 inches off, is that counting the coping? The coping is 2 inches thick.. just trying to see what is happening here..

do you have any pictures of the install so far.. show us some levels so we can understand what you are seeing... :)

How far from the current patio is the edge of the pool? I don't think it's unusual for the tile crew to have to do some concrete work to get things level. Honestly, I'm a little surprised they would agree to jackhammer things out for 2 inches...I would expect them to say it's within tolerance (my favorite phrase, lol).

I would expect them to say it's within tolerance (my favorite phrase, lol).
If the builder is anything like mine, I bet they would like to consider it within tolerance but in my mind two inches off is unacceptable. I don't understand why they don't spend more time making sure it's right the first time. My guess is that they may get away with things like this too often.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.