Ground water - how to firm it up

JBSurfer

Dec 30, 2019
Wilmington, NC
So, we have a semi inground pool we are installing. Slight slope on yard. 27 round pool that will be about 18 inches in high side and 12 in the low side. So about 2 weeks ago, we got 2.58 inches of rain, the hole, not graded yet filled with about 7 inches of water at lowest point. One more rain since then.

In our digging, we are coming across some very squishy soil. One guy thinks it is ground water. (I'm 20 ft above sea level). Don't know. But, if we dig an extra 3 inches or so down, out down landscaping fabric, then should we fill it with gravel and then sand or would all sand work? 3 inches enough and then the normal 3 inside the pool circle?

Thoughts? Thank you.

I think you should put in some well pits that you can put in a pump if necessary.

@jimmythegreek what do you think?

Dig a test hole near the pool where its deepest. Like a fence hole post. Check it next day. If water is in it its ground water. Sounds like clay soil to me. If you want to firm it up dig an extra 3 inches and compact clean 3/4 stone into it. Then lay geotextile fabric and sand on that and should be good. If it is ground water a sump pit is a good way of dealing with it unless you can stick a perimeter drain in and pitch to daylight

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.