Pool base. Limrock screenings/asphalt millings?

shannonstoel

Feb 26, 2023
Ocala, Florida
We have purchased a 9 x 18' Intex pool, and our only real option for placement is where 3 big trees once where. We built a 16 x 24' box and were off level about 4 inches. No big deal UNTIL we started to dig down the high side and encountered a massive root system. We have worked our tails off to remove the roots(not fun at all). We have FINALLY got the ground level with the bottom edge of our box so now we are on to building our base. We live in Florida and have naturally very sandy, shifty soil as well as daily down pours in the summer. I want to make sure this base is sturdy! I have 4 inches of box to fill so I am thinking of using 3 inches of either asphalt millings, or limerock screenings with an inch of mason sand on top for cushion. I will rent a vibrating compactor as well to make sure everything is settled nicely. Has anyone ever used either of these base materials? What was your experience? Pros/cons? Other recommendations? Thanks for reading!

The only thing I would say you need to be careful with is putting anything under the pool that could potentially pierce the liner. Although you'll be putting mason sand down bear in mind that sand shifts so theoretically asphalt/ limestone could come through and pierce the liner. So I'd be using foam tiles or something similar under the pool to prevent that from happening.

Reactions: shannonstoel
The only thing I would say you need to be careful with is putting anything under the pool that could potentially pierce the liner. Although you'll be putting mason sand down bear in mind that sand shifts so theoretically asphalt/ limestone could come through and pierce the liner. So I'd be using foam tiles or something similar under the pool to prevent that from happening.
Yes, we also plan to use a gator pad under the pool. Thanks for the reply!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.