May 1, 2018
Jax/Fl
I have a question from a DIY standpoint.
My 22’ intex died from corrosion in the legs. Grandma decided to buy the kids a new 24’ steel sided 8” rail AGP.
My ground is already prepped from earth standpoint from the previous pool, I just had to fix up the extra 2ft.
Here’s the question, what should I use for the ground under the liner:
1. Foam board 1” thick foamular 150. (Seems really easy)
2. Vermiculite with Portland cement. ( no experience in this type of work)
3. Sand (medium difficulty, but easy to screw up?)

My local pool shop sold me vermiculite, before I really knew what it was. Now that I have been doing research, I’m not sure I have the DIY skills to do that, plus the added cost from equipment I need to mix it.
Foam looks SUPER simple, but I’m not sure if I am missing something.
Sand just seems like a PITA.

What are your thoughts? I’m honestly leaning towards foam, but being my first AGP like this I don’t want to screw it up.

Thanks!
This is the link btw.
Blue wave Samoan 52” 24ft pool

Last edited:
Congrats on the new pool! For a steel walled pool, sand is the traditional method. Sand bottom and sand cove. I don't think that sand is any more PITA than cutting and taping all the foam boards and joints. Then assembling the cove from foam?
spray the sand with the hose and compact it, build the cove. You would just want to make sure that you back fill a bit around the outside of the wall to prevent the sand from washing out.
Pavers under the legs. all new since this is a 24' vs previous 22' so maybe only 1 or 2 will line up.
Take your time and make sure all is level as close as possible.

ps... no link above.

There is the link maybe? Lol.
I’ve watched tons of videos about the sand, the foam just looked easier lol

yup, that link worked.
At the end of the day, then choice is yours of foam vs sand. Good luck either way. take your time and have plenty of your favorite beverages on hand. It'll all be worth it in the end.

Rigid foam insulation will work, but it's not a cheap option. If you use rigid foam it needs to be installed as tightly as possible with no gaps between the boards. Each seam where two boards touch should be taped over with high quality duct tape, with at least 3 passes. If there is any gap in the foam the weight of the water will force the liner down into that crack, that could rip the liner. The same goes with using foam cove. The cove needs to be firmly attached to the wall with no gaps between cove pieces, the wall, or the floor.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.