Ryscott

In The Industry
Jul 22, 2020
Kansas
let me start by saying I have 34 years in the industry and I have one pool that no one can figure out.
This pool was opened this year in May. It has stayed green since. The 4th of July was the only day it was clear and blue. 2 days later....green again. The pool is super cloudy, can't see the main drain and tinted green. PH 7.2, Alk 80, cya 40. Chlorine is 20ppm! And green! No phosphates, no metals, fresh sand change and vacuumed regularly. We have used algaecides, phosfree max, Revive flock 3 times....everything! We even drained pool halfway twice and refilled. Please help me with this. We can't add more chlorine as its off the chart. Any ideas?

I would question the testing. Chlorine is burned off by UV. Unless this pool is covered, the FC will drop, fast, at a 40 CYA. Or chlorine is still being added via pucks, etc.

Reactions: Ryscott
I would question the testing. Chlorine is burned off by UV. Unless this pool is covered, the FC will drop, fast, at a 40 CYA. Or chlorine is still being added via pucks, etc.
Yes by Pentair offline chlorinator. However my main concern is how the pool can be green with such high levels of chlorine. We even took water to Leslie's just to have them give us their thoughts. The answer was to add several bottles of chlorine rid. The chloring is most definitely high. I have had 2 other pool companies meet me there and give us their opinion. Both were surprised at how high the chlorine was and the water still being tinted green. We service residential and commercial pools. Every other pool was turned and beautiful within a week. Some of them turned before we even left. This pool acts like its resistant to chlorine.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If what you say is true, patent it. Pools lose chlorine to UV. Without exception.

Still question the testing. Have not heard you say a FAS-DPD test was used yet. That is the only test that will measure those levels.

Reactions: Ryscott
If what you say is true, patent it. Pools lose chlorine to UV. Without exception.

Still question the testing. Have not heard you say a FAS-DPD test was used yet. That is the only test that will measure those levels.
Yes if you read all the responses dpd was used. Strips, drops, dpd, computer.....what else could we use? I hope I'm not coming across rude. Believe me this pool defies reason. 4 companies (mine, 2 other pool companies and Leslie's) all had the same readings and everyone is stumped. I know how it sounds, I get it. 34 years in the business and I have never had this happen. I know how chemicals work in a pool. I understand the deficiencies, chloring lock, high cya levels and all. Its so frustrating.

I know you said you tested for metals but my vote would be that there is copper in the water and with that constant level of chorine its being oxidized to what I’m sure is quite a stunning Statue of Liberty green.
Except for the fact that the walls are slimy, you can brush the algae off the walls and backwashing yields a beautiful dark green and brown flow. Its definitely algae.

How long ago did you put the Phosfree in? I recognize you said no phosphates but that stuff when bound to phosphates will produce something pretty slimy gunk too.

I’d agree with mknauss though on questioning the test results...

Sounds like quite a mystery though...
We added the phosphate remover a few weeks ago. Retested phosphates today. Very little if any.

I need to get a fas-dpd test kit apparently but doing 12-15 pools a day I'd assume if the testing process was the issue id have a lot of other pools with issues. At one time frustrated with this whole situation, the chlorine was 3ppm. We added 20 lbs of shock and the next day the pool looked identical. I know how metals can tint the water green. This is not metals. Visible algae you can touch.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.