danae.coronado

Aug 4, 2019
Fresno California
Hello, new to this and I need help! Put 3 gallons of bleach yesterday morning and 4 gallons last night. Vacuumed this morning but it’s still green. Post below are pics of this mornings readings. Help please and TIA.

Attachments

• 54C9337C-FF41-4784-9AB2-32254BD542B7.jpeg
    54C9337C-FF41-4784-9AB2-32254BD542B7.jpeg
    371 KB · Views: 14
  • 9A462ECE-1A76-490F-9D99-555A1F274839.jpeg
    9A462ECE-1A76-490F-9D99-555A1F274839.jpeg
    200.9 KB · Views: 14
DC, welcome to TFP! :wave: Lots of folks are about to help coach you through this issue. Until then, the #1 thing you can do is get a proper test kit. Here at TFP we highly recommend the TF-100. Test strips simply aren't worth the paper they are printed on. When a pool gets green from algae, we follow the SLAM Process by using that test kit and the proper amount of chlorine (aka regular bleach).

So for now, I would get that test kit as soon as you can and post a full set of water results. Also make sure to update your signature with all of your pool and equipment info. If you have added any pool store chemicals, let us know that as well. It will help us so we can coach you through the clearing process.
ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry
Test Kits Compared

Welcome to TFP!
Follow these folks advice, they will get you on the right track!

The investment in the testing kit is well worth it. Save you tons of $ in long run and you will enjoy a crystal clear pool!

It may seem overwhelming and slow going to clear it up at first, but be patient, you will be rewarded!

Thank you! I will look into getting a proper test kit ASAP. What kind of information is helpful in a signature. I may have to do some research on some of the stuff we have. I do have a smaller version of the test kit you suggested. Is this ok to start the SLAM process?F7B5B159-BE10-4964-B710-DB2BB7ACD5E9.jpeg

Can you tell us how you've been chlorinating so far? Have you used any tablets or powdered shock products?

What you do need right now is chlorine. What you put in has been consumed by the algae. Do you know your pool volume? If so, you can use PoolMath to determine 5ppm and add the amount of liquid chlorine pool math tells you to. You can do this daily till your kit arrives but as you've noted that chlorine will disappear pretty fast with a green pool.

We recommend the TF-100 for test kits. It's designed with TFP pools in mind and is a much better deal than the Taylor-K-200c. It also ships fast, even to the west coast. I am going to suggest that you add the XL Option since you've got a SLAM in your immediate future and you're going to need the extra testing reagents.

Right now, you can use the OTO Taylor kit that you showed to get a better FC and pH result. pH will only be accurate when your FC is less than 10ppm however. You can use that test kit with PoolMath to determine 5ppm FC and add bleach/liquid chlorine whenever it shows less than 5ppm. Do that as many times a day that you are able till your test kit arrives. It is a better test than the strips, but it has the 5ppm limitation and you're going to need much higher FC levels and therefore a better test kit to get atop the algae.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.