GOT MY KIT... Tested my water... HELP!!

ALSO... do I wait for the CYA to dissolve or do I SLAM concurrently? I would think seeing as you need CYA to retain the FC it would be necessary to SLAM in conjunction with adding the CYA. But, Im no expert (obviously) just trying to think ahead

ALSO... do I wait for the CYA to dissolve or do I SLAM concurrently? I would think seeing as you need CYA to retain the FC it would be necessary to SLAM in conjunction with adding the CYA. But, Im no expert (obviously) just trying to think ahead

SLAM away! You're right that you will lose a greater portion of your FC to the sun while you wait for the CYA to dissolve, but the other option is to continue to let the algae grow!

Cost you a couple extra bucks initially, but could save you a few days down the road fighting the algae.

Good luck!

JACKPOT!!! Im not worried about the couple of bucks at this point... Im in for WAAAAY more with all the useless chemicals from my local "pool experts" I poured into it in the last 1.5 yrs. with no results except a nice koi pond. haha

I put a sock filled with 24oz of CYA in the return basket ... Then I poured the chlorine in and now its a nice light shade of milky green ... I swear ... and Im not kidding ... So far I've had a frog and a half frog/tad pole complete with tail rise to the surface and die. Im elated and excited. THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR HELP SO FAR...

A pictorial of the start and hopefully the clear blue finish... haha
c030755f975111f661ff0c4278998661.jpg
4defcac4ab4a9c99c0f47f9615952584.jpg
484387d49838f2a0b7467310c26b3ef8.jpg
74962e40adb08773672d73801693eb03.jpg

JACKPOT!!! Im not worried about the couple of bucks at this point... Im in for WAAAAY more with all the useless chemicals from my local "pool experts" I poured into it in the last 1.5 yrs. with no results except a nice koi pond. haha

I put a sock filled with 24oz of CYA in the return basket ... Then I poured the chlorine in and now its a nice light shade of milky green ... I swear ... and Im not kidding ... So far I've had a frog and a half frog/tad pole complete with tail rise to the surface and die. Im elated and excited. THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR HELP SO FAR...

You should have run a spinnerbait through it a few times before you added the chemicals... Might have had a nice largemouth bass in there!!! :D

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yikes! It will look great once you annihilate that pesky algae. :)

Make sure to retest CYA about 24 hours once it is all dissolved out of the sock. You'll want to make sure if you went a little too much that you raise your SLAM FC target to match so you don't waste time and money SLAMing with your chlorine too low.

Okay... Do I do all this SLAM etc... with the new cartridge filter IN or OUT? I had it in and the pressure quickly went from 5 psi to about 15 psi so I removed it and sprayed it down with water... They aint cheap so I dont want to ruin it if its not supposed to be in there. . .

Last edited:
Hmmm -- should not be an issue if you have no surface water table. I drain mine every 16 months or so. This is the desert, no water anywhere.

It was put in the ground dry, and was stable then.

Take care.

Houston area is nothing but clay with water just under the surface the problem is the same with pools as it is with homes the ground dries and Shrink and swells when it rains creating issues for not only Pools by foundations. That was my first instinct to drain and refill the pool and start fresh but when I called the manufacturer they said do not drain the pool under any circumstances without one of their representatives out to crib the pool

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.