GOT MY KIT... Tested my water... HELP!!

Hahaha... thats okay when Im not at work I dont think about anything medical... been doing it waaaay too long. yeah Wwe have had some stuff come up so the vacuum has been put on hold and it seems to be in a limbo state... its a VERY nice shade of milky blue and I can actually make out the next to bottom step but its still very cloudy... vacuum and partial water change will push us over the line hahaha... Im an optimist

Thanks for asking... No I have had some life stuff come up and havent had the opportunity to finish the SLAM but I am maintaining FC levels to keep the algae from coming back and when this issue settles I will start from square one but at a much better starring point.

Re: Need some guidance please ... whats the next step?

dbtgallery.php

Patrick,

THANK YOU for ALL your help and guidance up to now!!!

I seriously have come to see this pool as my nemesis... I had to put the SLAM on hold... But then I went back and started where I left off and kept my FC up my CYA in range and thought I had gotten most of the debris from the bottom of the pool with the skimmer ... I was able to see the bottom of the pool the water was clearer than I had seen it in a year but there was A LOT of muck/dead algae that needed to be vacuumed. I set up the vacuum started it to the street and the next I know I hear my pump sounding really odd... I run over and there is no water in the pump I shut it off and note that my pipes are clogged with whatever was on the bottom. I almost burned up my pump and then had to figure out how to unclog the pipes to the pump that apparently had leaves and rocks in them. When it happened I went inside and told my wife I was going to put holes in the pool and call it good...Frustrated does not come close to where I was...I checked my levels and everything was good still. I went and bought a new leaf rake to grab anything remaining on the bottom and the next day I went into the backyard and it was GREEEEEEN... again.
So, I have made SURE there are no leaves rocks etc... left on the bottom and I am doing the SLAM again...
My initial numbers were
CYA 0
FC 0
pH 8
TA 80ppm
NOW...
CYA 40
FC 16
pH (prior to starting) 7.3
Its a milky blue and I am cycling out the cartridge filter every 30 minutes... At what PSI do I wash it out?

Back flush at 25% over clean pressure.

And I feel your pain with the suction side clog. I sucked up a wad of leaves that jammed up in the pipe. Couldn't get a snake in there, wound up rigging my leaf blower on the pump side of the pipe and blew it back out the skimmer side. I am now extremely cautious about what I try to vacuum up.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Back flush at 25% over clean pressure.

And I feel your pain with the suction side clog. I sucked up a wad of leaves that jammed up in the pipe. Couldn't get a snake in there, wound up rigging my leaf blower on the pump side of the pipe and blew it back out the skimmer side. I am now extremely cautious about what I try to vacuum up.
Oh... I was so hot after wrestling with this thing for what seems like years... I rigged up my shop vac and my leaf blower and made a water hammer that finally unclogged it. I have a cartridge filter and as you replied I saw the psi at 25 and my return was barely pushing out water haha... so 20-25psi it is...

Well, After the clogged return pipes debacle from me getting over zealous, skipping a step or two not and effectively getting all the big debris from the bottom of the pool before I vacuumed I had the pool go completely green again haha my own dumb fault ... I have now been spending the last few days perfecting the start of the SLAM process and getting my pH down from 8.0 to 7.3, my CYA up from 0 to 40, my FC from 0 into the 16ppm range and my TA at 80ppm.

I have repeatedly scrubbed the walls and the bottom and then used the leaf net to muck up every piece of debris I could gather from the bottom of the pool. After I sufficiently removed all attainable debris I could find I started circulating the return through the cartridge filter (my set up has only 1 cartridge in the filter) at first I was cleaning it literally every 10-15 minutes and now, thankfully its up to about 30-45 minutes before I have to remove the filter, wash it and place it back into the housing... (which by the way I found out is NOT ABS plastic but ...fiberglass ... itchy scratchy spun exposed fiberglass and yeah Ive been all but hugging that cover to get it open... that is until I saw and felt the raised itchy areas on my arms, neck and wrists... haha oh well just another reason to not let this pool beat me down).

So, the pool is holding FC "pretty well" for a few hours at a time only dropping from 16 to about a 12 to 14 and as much as I can I have been circulating the water through to filter ... but ... I can ONLY do this when I have the opportunity to stay on top of it to clean it out all other times it out and the water is on circulate mode.

The water has gone from GREEN to milky clearish blue in just a few days and I can almost see the bottom step ... I am really encouraged with the progress and how quickly it has happened...

Like I said, Ive become pretty adept at starting the SLAM process but Ive never made it this far...

So, whats the next step?

Do I continue to wash the filter until the PSI stays under 10? At some point does it run out of washes and will lose its effectiveness? (They aint cheap)
I know I have to pass the overnight test but what do I do in the meantime to ensure I reach that milestone?
Im in uncharted territory... this hole in the ground my wife still calls her "pool" has never looked this good with all the chemicals as they should be and no obvious algae or debris.
Im cautiously optimistic but as I said, whats my next step to take this process home?

Any and all help would be appreciated.:D

*EDIT*

Ive been reading old threads about flocculent and I have to admit before the clogged return lines I used it to get the water to clear up and that's how I clogged my pipes by not ensuring the debris wasn't just dead algae. Now that I know NOT to use it and how it may ruin a cartridge filter how will I know if it has compromised its effectiveness?

Stay the course and Maintain the shock level FC as much as you can. Keep watching your filter pressure to make sure it doesn't rise too quickly. Right now, you're waiting to pass your CC <0.5 ppm and OCLT 1 ppm loss or less. What is your CC testing at? Post your latest test results, full, as soon as you can. Attempt an OCLT the next time you have an opportunity to test late, then test early. If anything, it will let you know how close you are if you do not pass.

Your cartridge filter should last a long time and as long as you're cleaning it carefully, it will be fine with lots of rinses/cleanings and even after the use of flocculent. You could try a filter soak cleaning after the SLAM is complete to get the filter as clean as possible. Re: How to clean a cartridge filter

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.