Jenkintown, PA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
I took a look at my breaker box and realized my pump is not gfci protected.

Can someone help me navigate the myriad of breakers out there, considering breaker type, false tripping, and protection tolerances. Circuit is 240V, 15A, not 20A so that renders a lot of the posts I see less than helpful and also negates use of the pentair 20A breaker. Any 15A breaker I find has tolerances higher (10ma) than I see recommended here.

Luckily I have a Siemens box. Current breaker is Siemens type QP though if I am reading the documentation right (and may not be) I think most siemens breakers will fit.

attaching a pic of the documentation on the breaker cover

Pump is pentair whisperflo vst. Hayward swg is on the same circuit.

Attachments

• 023A7A42-4046-4D67-A32A-ABDF3E27F129.jpeg
    023A7A42-4046-4D67-A32A-ABDF3E27F129.jpeg
    584.1 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
I took a look at my breaker box and realized my pump is not gfci protected.

Can someone help me navigate the myriad of breakers out there, considering breaker type, false tripping, and protection tolerances. Circuit is 15A, not 20A so that renders a lot of the posts I see less than helpful and also negates use of the pentair 20A breaker. Any 15A breaker I find has tolerances higher (10ma) than I see recommended here.

Luckily I have a Siemens box. Current breaker is Siemens type QP though if I am reading the documentation right (and may not be) I think most siemens breakers will fit.

attaching a pic of the documentation on the breaker cover

Pump is pentair whisperflo vst. Hayward swg is on the same circuit.
For a 15A circuit you would want a QF215A. The manual on that pump says the control will keep the current below 13.6. Conventional sizing for a circuit breaker is 25% higher than max expected load. For that pump you should use a QF220A, which is what the breakers that are branded by Pentair are.

1681348614535-png.482224

Before swapping a 20 amp breaker for the present 15 amp breaker, you should first determine the wire size.
If the wires running from the panel to the pump are 14 awg, you are limited to a 15 amp breaker. If the wires running to the pump are 12 awg, you can use a 20 amp breaker.

Thanks all.

Ill double check but i am pretty sure all the wiring is 14 awg, including the underground wiring through 60 ft or so of conduit which is not getting rewired.

I know that I used 14 awg running from timer boxes to the pump. This could be redone in 12 awg if needed, but the pump has run fine on the 15 breaker so maybe its ok to leave it regardless??

The tolerances on both the breakers linked above are 10ma, which I thought was higher than recommended. Am I misunderstanding something or is this a ‘best you can do’ situation.

Breakers are to protect the wires and not the device.

A 20A breaker with 14AWG wire will allow more current and heat then the 14AWG wire can handle which can lead to a fire in a wall before the CB trips.

Last edited:
Reactions: proavia
The tolerances on both the breakers linked above are 10ma, which I thought was higher than recommended. Am I misunderstanding something or is this a ‘best you can do’ situation.

Where do you see 10 ma?

I was looking at the kA interruption rating, which I now see I completely misinterpreted.

Is there a place to see the gfi tolerance? I don’t see it listed.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I was wrong. My wiring from the box is 12 AWG. But I do have some 14 AWG on the circuit going to the SWG and a Stenner Acid pump.
It would be the right move to have the pump on the 20A breaker, although 99% of the time it's drawing nowhere near the 13A max.

The 14 AWG wire is terminating at devices that are fairly low current draws. I know there are are times when the wiring to a device can be sized per the load, and not to the breaker capacity. Is this possibly one of those times? I'm not looking to do anything stupid.

Otherwise I can put the Stenner and SWG on a different circuit which I do have available. Having them all on one was just an extra safety redundancy. I'd much prefer not rewiring the 14 gauge.

1681499944841.png

The 14 AWG wire is terminating at devices that are fairly low current draws. I know there are are times when the wiring to a device can be sized per the load, and not to the breaker capacity. Is this possibly one of those times?

It will not pass a NEC inspection.

Reactions: trivetman
Aarrgh.

I put in the 15A gfi breaker. It is a slightly different shape such that the box cover will no longer sit flush.

Did I do something wrong?

Its type QPF, which my box says it is compatible with.

Attachments

• IMG_5049.jpeg
    IMG_5049.jpeg
    416.7 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_5050.jpeg
    IMG_5050.jpeg
    450.1 KB · Views: 17
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.