Gap in coping joint?

pokmo

Jul 10, 2018
Australia
Hi

Our pool is fairly old and I've noticed over the years that it has never overflown. There is what appears to be a gap in the joint between the tiles and the coping all around the pool.

20190220_154412.jpg

20190220_154441.jpg
But I'm not certain if it's indeed a gap or if water is really leaking through there. Anyone know if this should be fixed?

Thanks

It is the grout just breaking away. If you are handy with tools and doing grout work you can replace yourself using a pool rated grout. Or I’ve even seen people cover it using grout and just filling in the gaps (temporary fix). Just make sure it’s a good grout rated for Pools. any pool store can at least show you a example. You would be surprised how good it may look after just cleaning it out real good. Water/bleach mix and light brushing. Here in south Florida our McMansions have this issue a lot as the pool sinks slowly over time and the deck stays in place causing the in between grout to just fall out. This looks more like just aging however. Good luck.

Also looks like calcium build up on tiles. You can use acid/water mix to get that off or a pumice stone etc. just make sure it is diluted down. They even make products to prevent and remove it but the elbow grease method works best to initially remove it

It is the grout just breaking away. If you are handy with tools and doing grout work you can replace yourself using a pool rated grout. Or I’ve even seen people cover it using grout and just filling in the gaps (temporary fix). Just make sure it’s a good grout rated for Pools. any pool store can at least show you a example. You would be surprised how good it may look after just cleaning it out real good. Water/bleach mix and light brushing. Here in south Florida our McMansions have this issue a lot as the pool sinks slowly over time and the deck stays in place causing the in between grout to just fall out. This looks more like just aging however. Good luck.

Thanks. I could give grouting a try, but I fear I'd make a mess if the wet grout fall into the water and sink to the bottom. How about silicone?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.