SR Smith pool slide gap between flumes

Kwitttx

Sep 8, 2023
Texas
Hello! Wasn’t sure if I should worry about this. There is a gap between the flumes on one side. Worried about little hands getting caught and possible water getting inside the rock structure. Is this something common? Should it be fixed? If so, how? Thank you!!

Attachments

• F7FE97B6-F1E3-404D-96AC-1E0401DD9137.jpeg
    F7FE97B6-F1E3-404D-96AC-1E0401DD9137.jpeg
    253 KB · Views: 49
  • 80C47DA9-895B-4C1B-A35D-37FF795035D8.jpeg
    80C47DA9-895B-4C1B-A35D-37FF795035D8.jpeg
    345 KB · Views: 46
  • 4AAD73ED-B54F-4F81-8A37-55986562BB19.jpeg
    4AAD73ED-B54F-4F81-8A37-55986562BB19.jpeg
    617.8 KB · Views: 46
  • 1030AE16-3492-495C-B8A7-03EEBA45D76F.jpeg
    1030AE16-3492-495C-B8A7-03EEBA45D76F.jpeg
    592.8 KB · Views: 46
Hi there...welcome to Trouble Free Pools.
How about adding a blob of clear silicone caulk in the spaces from the outside or underneath?? Just an idea...not sure if anyone has ever mentioned this before?

Maddie 🌻

Yes, this is new. Manufacturer originally said the slide was installed improperly and then when the pool company got ahold of them they basically are saying they need to get with their engineers.

It’s a large pool company in my area. I have more of a superintendent but truthfully, any issues that have came up has been caught by us rather than anyone from the pool company. Pool company is my opinion is trying to sway SR Smith to retract their email statement to me.

You’re absolutely right to be concerned. Ask SR Smith for the specification of the slide including details on dimensions and how big of a gap is allowed. If they try to stall, have a lawyer send them a letter … lawyers are good at swaying opinions too.

Then, with the proper data in hand, ask the pool company how they intend to fix the problem if one exists … and there should be no cost to you.

Reactions: Kwitttx
Yes, SR Smith originally said that they installed the slide improperly, there should be no gap whatsoever anywhere and sent me the correct install packet. Then after I sent that correspondence to the pool company, they contacted SR Smith and all of a sudden, I get an email that says, it’s possible that the gap is intended to be there. It could not have been more opposite of a response. I know exactly what happened. They know that I will not be purchasing any more slides and this pool company will so they have to play their cards right.

Yes, SR Smith originally said that they installed the slide improperly, there should be no gap whatsoever anywhere and sent me the correct install packet. Then after I sent that correspondence to the pool company, they contacted SR Smith and all of a sudden, I get an email that says, it’s possible that the gap is intended to be there. It could not have been more opposite of a response. I know exactly what happened. They know that I will not be purchasing any more slides and this pool company will so they have to play their cards right.

Considering the potential liability from a personal injury tort and the fact that SR Smith is a pretty huge company that does tens of millions of dollars in business every year all across the country, I doubt they would lie to satisfy one pool contractor. It’s in their best interest to see that their products are installed properly.

I would definitely pursue SR Smith on this and ask for some type of formal review of the installation. It’s their product and their liability. If you aren’t getting answers in a timely fashion then a demand letter from a lawyer will make them respond much quicker. No one likes resorting to legal means when the issues seem minor but sometimes it’s necessary to rattle cages and get a response because people will drag their feet forever.

Reactions: Kwitttx

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
They told me about 3 hours ago they would get back to me shortly. I’ll give them until Monday I guess? My dad is an attorney so the demand letter is no problem. My issue is I’m not a pool builder so I don’t know if it didn’t close all the way because the base is incorrect, I don’t know any of that. I’m not sure what all the potential issues could be other than water getting into the inside of the grotto and a kids hand catching it there. It’s encased in rock so the pool company knows that they don’t want to mess with it because they would have to remove rock. If this isn’t a big deal I would love to know that!

The pool superintendent just showed up, I have COVID so haven’t went out there but he brought the stone mason, my guess… they are going to try to put grout in it and seal it. I don’t know that but only thing I can think of…

The pool superintendent just showed up, I have COVID so haven’t went out there but he brought the stone mason, my guess… they are going to try to put grout in it and seal it. I don’t know that but only thing I can think of…

I would tell whoever the owner of the pool business is that you want to put a STOP to all work on the slide until a mutually agreed upon solution is found. Do NOT let them do any work until they present to you the solution and I would insist that SR Smith agrees with it as well and will warranty their slide given the builders solution to fix the issue. I would not allow any work to proceed without written and signed guarantees. That slide is built into a rock wall which means it is basically untouchable after the builder is long gone because no one likes to fix other contractors screw-ups. The builder needs to fix it and fix it in a way that does not void the SR Smith warranty.

Last edited:
Also, I was looking at the pictures again.

Can you confirm that the exit of the slide into the pool is well past that chunk of stone below the slide exit? I don’t know what the code/engineering/safety design states but I’m imagining someone coming down on their back and their head comes off last and smacks into that chunk of stone. I imagine there is some guidance on how much clearance is needed at the end of the slide past the edge of the pool whether that edge is defined by coping or whatever is underneath the slide.

Thank you for all the advice! Yes, seems to me the stone far enough back but I appreciate you telling me. I think it has to have 3 inches minimum and I think we are probably close to 5 or so. I can’t get in there and measure because they plastered today. I added a picture, if you still see a hazard, please let me know!!

Attachments

• CA6BB966-6F1E-4003-8E6A-21BB51EDE374.jpeg
    CA6BB966-6F1E-4003-8E6A-21BB51EDE374.jpeg
    664.6 KB · Views: 37
Reactions: JoyfulNoise
Thank you for all the advice! Yes, seems to me the stone far enough back but I appreciate you telling me. I think it has to have 3 inches minimum and I think we are probably close to 5 or so. I can’t get in there and measure because they plastered today. I added a picture, if you still see a hazard, please let me know!!

All good! The front-on picture gave no sense of depth so it just stood out in my mind.

I hope the slide gets fixed to your satisfaction.

Well I got an email back. She’s saying that she thought I was talking about a different slide even though the slide name was in the subject, in her response and she sent me the specs of the correct slide that I was referring to. I’m convinced they are trying to back track because of pressure from the PB. It will cost them a lot of money to remove rock from the slide and redo it.

Attachments

• 3352B382-6BE3-4C70-9AF3-E00261DC0D44.png
    3352B382-6BE3-4C70-9AF3-E00261DC0D44.png
    212.7 KB · Views: 21
The gap is way too big and the gasket looks like it is the wrong gasket.

The gasket should be very thin and you can see the bolt where the parts should be touching.

They might be able to fill it in with a hard, smooth epoxy or other type of material.

I would not use anything soft.

1694214526974.png

Thank you James. If this was your pool would that be a solution that you would be ok with? The only thing I worry about is it lasting until the PB’s warranty is up (1 year) and then me being stuck having to do a major repair. I’m not sure if SR Smith warranty covers after that or not.

The gasket looks incorrect and the transition is not smooth.

The bolts are not properly tightened.

I would want it done exactly correctly as you have probably spent quite a bit of money on the slide as well as the pool and you should expect it to be done correctly.

The gap is a safety hazard and it also makes the slide likely to be damaged or come loose.

1694215618373.png

Reactions: newdude

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.