Freak cold weather in Dallas and my inground pool

emilton

Nov 9, 2020
Dallas
I’m currently in Dallas where it is and has been sub 20 degrees and will be for at least the next few days. I have a large inground pool and spa.

Previous to the bad weather starting I was away from my home and came back to bad conditions and a pool and spa that has started to freeze over. The pool pump had probably been off for a day or so beforehand.

I went the equipment and tried turning the pump on with no luck. Unfortunately the pool capacitor has gone out and I can’t start. Alongside this I read up and opened filter air valveand also took lid off the pump and turned it off at the mains.

I couldnt turn the backwash valve off of filter as it had frozen. Tried to put this in between settings but no luck.

I’ve checked the pool a few times and made sure it’s not frozen around the skimmers and we are ok for now. Weather will only get worse before better and I will be without a pump until it does.

I wanted to know if there was anything else I can do now to make sure I limit any damages etc to pool and equipment?

thanks

Remove any drain plugs on the pump, filter, and heater if you can. But if they are frozen, do not force them.

If frozen, leave them. Assess when the weather warms. Prepare yourself for damage, how much, is a guess.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.