Gold Supporter
Nov 19, 2022
Oklahoma City
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
Hi all -- I just went out to check over everything and get it ready for the big freeze coming in and I noticed there's a small leak at the booster pump outlet. I believe it's coming from the threaded connection on the pump side. Any advice on how I might try to resolve this quickly (as in, tonight) before the cold weather hits??

booster-pump-leak.jpeg

Hi all -- I just went out to check over everything and get it ready for the big freeze coming in and I noticed there's a small leak at the booster pump outlet. I believe it's coming from the threaded connection on the pump side. Any advice on how I might try to resolve this quickly (as in, tonight) before the cold weather hits??

View attachment 549302
If it’s not cracked, you can just unscrew it and redo the Teflon tape and see if it’ll seal back up. Of course if you crack it, there’s no fix for that in time.

Thanks both. I went for it trying to fixing it and, sure enough, it cracked. I didn't see the post about the hose clamp until now so my temporary solution for the cold was just to bypass the pump as shown below. I talked to my pool plumbing guy and this was what he suggested for now. So far, it's running with no leaks and I shouldn't need to use the booster pump through the cold days so here's hoping it holds out until we hit some warmer weather. Any other suggestions are welcomed for contingency planning. I'm going to go to home depot to get a plug for worst case scenario to just plug the outlet from the manifold. This would leave water in the booster pipe but I'm thinking that water should stay below ground level and hopefully be ok and ruining that pipe would be better than ruining others. Hopefully it doesn't come to that.
booster-bypass.jpeg

The tarp has been erected. Fingers crossed for the next week or so.
I've tried the tarp thing, too. When we were anticipating 8F nights, I covered the pad about as well as you have, added some old moving blankets, even rigged a space heater to blow warm air under the assembly. I put remote thermometers inside and outside and never saw more than a 1F temp difference. I guess either I did something wrong or the tarp wasn't worthwhile. After that first night I gave up and everything was fine.

I've tried the tarp thing, too. When we were anticipating 8F nights, I covered the pad about as well as you have, added some old moving blankets, even rigged a space heater to blow warm air under the assembly. I put remote thermometers inside and outside and never saw more than a 1F temp difference. I guess either I did something wrong or the tarp wasn't worthwhile. After that first night I gave up and everything was fine.
Perhaps it's just a placebo effect... or wishful thinking. It just always seems better to me to have it covered in times where it's going to stay below freezing for multiple days. At the very least, it keeps any freezing rain or snow off the equipment, which seems like a good thing. it's definitely a pain though.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.