Flow Switch

The only SWGs i am aware of that do not have a flow switch are the ones for above ground pools that install on the wall right by the return jet. So that if they kept generating while the pump was off all the gases would just be released directly through the jet and not collect.

Does not usually matter. You need some length of straight pipe before the flow switch and many SWG will count the cell as "straight pipe" Just depends on your plumbing configuration.

b596e5f0d75ae56d29b221c30a14cc00.jpg

This is my plumbing set up. There’s only 10.5 inches on the vertical line coming out of filter and 17.5 inches of line where the chlorinator is. Are there any SWGs that will fit?

Something will fit. And you could make anything work by changing the routing of the plumbing.

- - - Updated - - -

The orientation and proximity of all your pipes is rather annoying ;)

The orientation and proximity of all your pipes is rather annoying ;)
After looking at hundreds of these set up photos I have come to the conclusion that one of two things is going on

Either the plumber doing the work feels that PVC is a rare earth element that must be conserved at all cost or

The pool builder feels that they will loose money if they use 1 additional stick of 2" PVC pipe

Another thought is that there is a pool plumber forum out there where they post photos of setups where they have used the least amount of pipe.

Its just strange.

:???: Pool was 1 season old when we purchased home 5 years ago. I always liked how clean it looked compared to some others I had seen. Now I wish there were more more/longer straight runs of PVC to accommodate installing a SWG. I am not real handy and was hoping to just be able to cut and splice as opposed to reconfiguring the plumbing. I do see that CircuPool sells a vertical install kit that may work with my current set up. I was looking at the RJ45 SWG. Is a 45,000 gal SWG too large for my pool or is it better for it to be much larger than pool volume? Any opinion on the CircuPool brand?

For standalone SWCG (no automation) the CircuPool units are well regarded here on the forum.

SWCG size, bigger is better!! Well, to a point. Mine is crazy over sized but here in the desert we consume lots of chlorine with lots of UV!

Good luck.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I think the SJ SWG have the pipes entering the bottom of the cell, so you do not need as much of a straight pipe to fit it. But, I am not sure what they use for a flow switch and where it goes. Also, I think I just read that you need a minimum of 30 GPM for them to work correctly.

The RJ installs like the Hayward and Pentair where the cell is inline with the pipe. The Hayward has a separate flow switch that is also installed, not sure if the other 2 are the same. Advantage to these is they only need about 15 GPM for them to work, so a 2-speed on low or a VS pump would work.

I do have my pump on a timer. I am assuming I would hard wire the SWG controller to the timer as well so it only kicks on when the pump is running?

You could. But then every time your pump is on your SWCG is on. That may be OK, but most prefer to have separate timers with the SWCG coming on 30 minutes or so after the pump starts and shutting down 30 minutes or so before the pump shuts down.

I would disagree with Marty a bit on this. It is a very standard setup to have a single timer that controls both the pump and the SWG. Perhaps some minor advantages to have the separate timers, but then a pretty big negative is the timers get out of sync and the SWG runs with the pump off (in absence of flow switch).

The Jandy Aqua Pure series that I have allows for installation vertically or horizontally, like in this picture, so as long as you can get two elbows in you can make this work. I'd bet most every other brand would allow this sort of orientation. You can probably download the installation manual from any brand you are looking at to ensure it can be mounted vertically, before buying it.

SWG Flow.jpg

I think the SJ SWG have the pipes entering the bottom of the cell, so you do not need as much of a straight pipe to fit it. But, I am not sure what they use for a flow switch and where it goes. Also, I think I just read that you need a minimum of 30 GPM for them to work correctly.

The RJ installs like the Hayward and Pentair where the cell is inline with the pipe. The Hayward has a separate flow switch that is also installed, not sure if the other 2 are the same. Advantage to these is they only need about 15 GPM for them to work, so a 2-speed on low or a VS pump would work.

We we have an SJ55. (We love it btw) The plumbing does enter the bottom of the cell, and the cell does have to be raised up some. I don’t remember by how much. (Maybe 6 inches above all other plumbing) The SJ does not have a flow switch that is separate. According to Cirrcupool, it has a “lack of water” sensor in the cell housing. I had to call when we were considering switching to a two speed pump. Cirrcupool assured us, that as long as water is flowing thru the cell housing, that it will run. I can now confirm that, since we now have a two speed pump. The salt cell runs just fine with the pump on low speed.

Hope that helps,
Bryan

The CircuPool uses a "gas trap" design. It's basically a conductivity sensor that senses water by conductivity.

It might use a signal sent to the plates and a receiver at the top of the cell. If the signal returns to the box, it assumes that the cell is full of water.

This type of design is common in the Australian SWGs.

If it gets zero conductivity, it assumes that gas is building up due to no water flow.

That's why the installation is so specific about having the cell be horizontal and higher than the rest of the plumbing.

The gas sensing tang is on the side of the cell close to the top. The power supply monitors it for voltage. If it is covered with water, the power supply will see voltage when the cell is powered. It will simply pick up the stray voltage from the electrodes in the water. The gas sensing tang is simply a piece of titanium welded to a wire there are no moving parts so it is about as reliable as you can get.

In Australia It is a code requirement to have a gas sensor (like the paddle switch, or our gas sensing tang) but it must also have a gas trap as well.

Safety features of a salt chlorination system

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.