Memphis, TN
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
I have to replace my Amerlite light and I’ve decided to go with the Florida Sunseeker Pooltone light. I really haven’t seen a lot of reviews on here for them. Does anyone have any long term reviews for this light? Thanks

I've had mine for about 10 months now. I just have the 35w 120v pool-size "bulb", not the entire fixture. I put the bulb in my existing Amerlite fixture.

We don't use it every day, but it's been fine so far. It's at least as bright as the original incandescent that I removed, but if run for extended periods of time, it does get slightly dimmer. I assume the LED drivers get hot and it pulls back power some. I have accidentally left it on for 2-3 days at at time and had no ill effects. Some colors are pretty useless - purple and red for example. Green, blue, and white show up nicely. I'm overall happy with it for the price paid, though we never really change the color so I probably would have been just as satisfied with the plain white one.

I personally decided NOT to replace my light with a Sunseeker.

I made that decision because lights have to be listed by a NRTL (Nationally Recognized Testing Laboratory) like UL or Intertek.

It is my understanding that the FL Sunseeker lights are not listed.

Sunseeker claims that their products are tested by a “Third Party”, which is not an acceptable “Listing”.

For all we know, the third party might be just some random unqualified person.

The product has to be tested by a Recognized Testing Laboratory.

The testing laboratory needs to be certified to test to the specific standard, which is UL676.

The term “Recognized” means recognized by your local authority having jurisdiction, but the local authorities having jurisdiction typically rely on the NRTLs.

It is not worth the risk, TO ME, to hurt someone knowing I didn't follow code.

Reactions: netronin
I did know about the questionable UL status when I purchased mine. I was trying to search for that thread and couldn't find it earlier, but that brings up a question, or maybe an observation regarding using the bulb only, versus the entire housing and everything:

The requirement is pretty cut and dry in the NEC, it does say that "luminaires" must be UL listed, and per NEC definition, a luminaire is "a complete lighting unit consisting of a lamp or lamps together with the parts designed to distribute the light, to position and protect the lamps, and to connect the lamps to the power supply".

Would this suggest that the bulb itself needs to also be UL certified if it's in an otherwise fully listed, say Amerilite, lamp? The definition says it includes parts meant to "distribute" the light. Would that mean that the glass lens also has to be UL certified? I'm asking this completely honestly, not being argumentative at all. I think it's clear that the Florida Sunseeker lamps are NOT actually UL listed, but where does the bulb itself come into play?

I did know about the questionable UL status when I purchased mine. I was trying to search for that thread and couldn't find it earlier, but that brings up a question, or maybe an observation regarding using the bulb only, versus the entire housing and everything:

The requirement is pretty cut and dry in the NEC, it does say that "luminaires" must be UL listed, and per NEC definition, a luminaire is "a complete lighting unit consisting of a lamp or lamps together with the parts designed to distribute the light, to position and protect the lamps, and to connect the lamps to the power supply".

Would this suggest that the bulb itself needs to also be UL certified if it's in an otherwise fully listed, say Amerilite, lamp? The definition says it includes parts meant to "distribute" the light. Would that mean that the glass lens also has to be UL certified? I'm asking this completely honestly, not being argumentative at all. I think it's clear that the Florida Sunseeker lamps are NOT actually UL listed, but where does the bulb itself come into play?
The lens is definitely tested and approved. Especially with an incandescent bulb, the internal pressure of a sealed pool light increases greatly when the bulb is on and the lens has to be able to both withstand that internal pressure and the temperature difference inside the light and outside in the water. If you ever saw a pool light lens explode when the fixture was turned on while sitting on a deck you would see the need for UL approval. Apartment maintenance man was "testing" light and put it on the deck so he could see if it worked from the equipment room. Cleaned glass from the pool for two days.

The lens is definitely tested and approved. Especially with an incandescent bulb, the internal pressure of a sealed pool light increases greatly when the bulb is on and the lens has to be able to both withstand that internal pressure and the temperature difference inside the light and outside in the water. If you ever saw a pool light lens explode when the fixture was turned on while sitting on a deck you would see the need for UL approval. Apartment maintenance man was "testing" light and put it on the deck so he could see if it worked from the equipment room. Cleaned glass from the pool for two days.

Great insight, thank you! So sounds like every part of it has to be UL listed then to be correct/safe. Interesting. Some food for thought.

Thanks for the info guys. I can’t believe a company can legally sell a pool light that doesn’t meet the basic standards (code) of every city in the county. The light is arriving today and I’m not even going to open it, I’m shipping it right back to them. Guess I will go with OG Amerlite.

Thanks for the info guys. I can’t believe a company can legally sell a pool light that doesn’t meet the basic standards (code) of every city in the county. The light is arriving today and I’m not even going to open it, I’m shipping it right back to them. Guess I will go with OG Amerlite.
I suggest you contact them and discuss.

Reactions: JaySav
So I called Florida Sunseekers and asked if the lights were certified because I want to make sure I install a certified light in my pool that’s going to meet code. They told me they are ETL certified which a quick google search brings up what that is and means. I feel pretty good about that, I think I may go with it.

Attachments

• 836AD427-C3C1-4BA5-95E7-87C15C233927.png
    836AD427-C3C1-4BA5-95E7-87C15C233927.png
    378 KB · Views: 31

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
intertek etl listed

Intertek

<- Back

Product Description​

ecblank.gif
ecblank.gif
ecblank.gif
Title:UNDERWATER LIGHTING FIXTURES
ecblank.gif
Company:WELLINGTON 2660 LLC - Pompano Beach, FL USA
ecblank.gif
Product Information:Trade Name(s): PoolTone.

Low Voltage Nicheless LED Pool Light, Model Nos. RF-YC150SS-A-12W-RGB, RF-YC150SS-A-12W-W, RF-YC300SS-252-RGB, RF-YC300SS-252-W, RF-YC300SS-441-RGB, RF-YC300SS-441-W, RF-YC270SS-A-252-RGB, RF-YC270SS-A-252-W, RF-YC270SS-A-441-RGB, RF-YC270SS-A-441--W, RF-YC230SS-252-RGB, RF-YC230SS-252-W, RF-YC210SS-A-252-RGB, RF-YC210SS-A-252-W.

Low Voltage Swimming Pool Light, Model Nos. RF-YC50A-8W-RGB, RF-YC50A-8W-W,RF-YC50A-12W-RGB, RF-YC50A-12W-W,RF-YC160TSS-10W-RGB, RF-YC160TSS-10W-W,RF-YC160TSS-252-RGB, RF-YC160TSS-252-W,RF-YC220TSS-252-RGB, RF-YC220TSS-252-W,RF-YC220TSS-441-RGB, RF-YC220TSS-441-W,RF-PT146-12W-W, RF-PT146-12W-RGB,RF-PT255-252-W, RF-PT255-252-RGB,RF-PT255-441-RGB, RF-PT255-441-W.
ecblank.gif
ecblank.gif
ecblank.gif
ecblank.gif
Evaluated to the following:A representative sample of the listed devices have been tested, investigated and found to comply with the requirements of the Standard(s) for Underwater Lighting Fixtures (UL-676) and are identified with the ETL Listed Mark.
ecblank.gif

intertek etl listed
Intertek

Intertek Directory of Listed Products Search

Search help

Enter search terms, Model Number or Standard Number
Use one or more search criteria:
Search by:Limit:
All Company Name Product Information Standard Title Standard No Limit 10 results 50 results 100 results 200 results
Sort search results by: Relevance Oldest first (by date) Newest first (by date) Default
ecblank.gif
Fuzzy Search
ecblank.gif
ecblank.gif
ecblank.gif
ecblank.gif
ecblank.gif

The product should be marked with this mark.

In the below picture, the light is not marked.

Perhaps the listing is new or maybe not all lights are listed.

1682008674450.png

1664065515901-png.455059

Attachments

• 1682008656993.png
    1682008656993.png
    18.8 KB · Views: 4
I’ve reached out to them and they are emailing me the ETL cert sheet. He had to speak with his manager because he wasn’t sure where to get it. I remember seeing that pic in the forums now and it def doesn’t have an ETL stamp.

Reactions: JamesW
The following are listed according to Intertek.

Low Voltage Nicheless LED Pool Light, Model Nos.

RF-YC150SS-A-12W-RGB,
RF-YC150SS-A-12W-W,
RF-YC300SS-252-RGB,
RF-YC300SS-252-W,
RF-YC300SS-441-RGB,
RF-YC300SS-441-W,
RF-YC270SS-A-252-RGB,
RF-YC270SS-A-252-W,
RF-YC270SS-A-441-RGB,
RF-YC270SS-A-441--W,
RF-YC230SS-252-RGB,
RF-YC230SS-252-W,
RF-YC210SS-A-252-RGB,
RF-YC210SS-A-252-W.

Low Voltage Swimming Pool Light, Model Nos.

RF-YC50A-8W-RGB,
RF-YC50A-8W-W,
RF-YC50A-12W-RGB,
RF-YC50A-12W-W,
RF-YC160TSS-10W-RGB,
RF-YC160TSS-10W-W,
RF-YC160TSS-252-RGB,
RF-YC160TSS-252-W,
RF-YC220TSS-252-RGB,
RF-YC220TSS-252-W,
RF-YC220TSS-441-RGB,
RF-YC220TSS-441-W,
RF-PT146-12W-W,
RF-PT146-12W-RGB,
RF-PT255-252-W,
RF-PT255-252-RGB,
RF-PT255-441-RGB,
RF-PT255-441-W.

The model numbers come back to a company called Refined Technology Co.

Refined Technology Co, Limited was founded on May, 2009, located at the optoelectronic base of Shenzhen, China and professionally engaged in outdoor LED lighting, covering LED Pool light, LED underwater Light, LED inground Light etc.

The main market is United States, France, Spain, Morroco, Egypt, Australia, Greece, etc.

With first-class quality and competitive prices.

Our target market is Medium and high class marksts and seek for long term cooperation with our unique molds.

Ample funds, high technique, stable quality and excellent service guarantee us to offer clients the most stable and cost-effective products.

Such as Resin flled & super thin LED swimming pool lights that can be used for concrete pool, liner pool, fiber glass pool, panel pools, etc.

And LED underwater spotlights, fountain lights that can be used for underwater lighting.
Hf788fda295b44599921d6090a42bbad4o.jpg

I’ll post my email conversation in a little. I’m trying to give them time to reply but idk if it’s looking good for them. Lol. Thanks for the help looking into this tho. I would like to have a light that is legal for sure.

Reactions: JamesW

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.