First time slammer, checking in

From what I've read I resume normal testing once FC is below 10, correct? I am a bit nervous about bringing FC all the way down to the SWG recommended level of 4-5. I'm thinking of keeping it around 6-7 if there is not a severe downside.
I'm also curious how long and often to run the pool rover but I can look on other posts for that I'm sure. I had brown spots this morning and am thinking I did not run it enough yesterday.
As far as what I learned .... a heavy dose of POP is definitely required and hopefully I won't need any more for a looooong while. And you gotta hit it hard, fast and consistent! And backwash sooner than I anticipated. That really helped the process once I did that.

Attachments

• 20180529_072748.jpg
    20180529_072748.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 186
  • 20180529_072803.jpg
    20180529_072803.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 187
That is so beautiful!!!

Your instincts are 100% correct, IGNORE the SWG's FC suggestion and follow [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA]. Dial in the SWG so that you're still in the target range before bed each day. Remember that you're still safe to swim as long as you're staying under the last column on that page, the Shock/SLAM FC. So when in doubt, hug the high side of the target range. If you are passing Overnight Chlorine Loss Test, there isn't a need to go higher than the high side of the target range, unless you're expecting a lot of swimming (bathers lower FC), so if your pool is going to be getting a lot of action, feel free to target 1-3 higher than the target if you want to avoid having to add some bleach. All up to you. No matter what balance you strike between bleach and more SWG, the goal is: most of the day spent in target range or a little higher - none spent below min.

This time of year here in Florida, the wind blows in dirt/sand daily, and since I only run my pump a few hrs a day, some sinks to the floor. No worries because I have enough FC in there to handle whatever bacteria comes along. I'll vac it once a week or two and all is well. I can brush it mid-week if I wish to spread it out so I don't have to look at it.

I'm also curious how long and often to run the pool rover but I can look on other posts for that I'm sure.
is this a robot or manual vac? If robot, yes, other threads or someone else can answer that one - robots are something I haven't gotten into yet - I like the manual vac for now.

I have been running the pump 24/7 and the spots still reappear. But I’m not overly concerned (just slightly annoyed) as long as my water is clear. I need to get my replacement pump installed so I can get back to using the timer. My bad pump runs fine but doesn’t start without a manual turn of the shaft with a flathead!
I’ll definitely keep FC on higher side bc the pool will be seeing lots of use with school out!!

The next diagnostic step is to carefully collect some of the debris and bring it out of the pool for examination and posting a photo. Is it blown in debris? Is it sand from the filter? Is it dead algae? Is it live algae? Is it pollen? No rush at all - and you don't actually have to do it, but this is the next step to know for sure.

- - - Updated - - -

reminder - no glass or sharps in the pool - even for collecting samples :)

I'm not sure if it can be collected, to be honest. It just puffs away when you get close to it. This evening there were significantly more than 2 days ago. Yet water is still clear.
Maybe I should backwash again if it could be coming from the filter? I suppose it couldbe from the air but no idea how to determine that?

Double check & correct me on all aspects please:
Thread summary:
You just finished a SLAM Process, your water is perfectly clear, you passed Overnight Chlorine Loss Test, your CC is always 0 or 0.5. You have brown spots recurring in the same places in the low dips of the liner floor. The spots poof when anything approaches them. The spots come back even with current pump running 24/7 and at SLAM FC levels. Your most recent CYA reading was 60, you maintained FC 24 during the SLAM and since ending the SLAM have been no lower than FC 7?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
What a great job you have done! Well done to all that have helped THANKS! :hug:

What you are seeing is dirt. It gets suspended in the water then settles over night in any "low" spots in the pool. What you can do is use a turkey baster to suck some up the squirt it out onto a white paper towel over a colander and let it dry. It is hard when it poofs but might be worth a try for peace of mind.

You can also add DE to your sand filter to really polish the water and that might help capture some of this. Here is the link: Pool School - Add DE to a Sand Filter Please note the keep a close eye on the filter in the beginning. Some filters like 1/4 cup, some 2 cups. Start slow and go slow with the additions until you know what your filter likes.

With my cats always drinking out of the pool and putting their paws in the water to play :roll: I always have some dirt in my pool. Not to mention all of the stuff/dirt from the air!

Kim:kim:

Thanks Kim, you're the best! Thanks for the reminder about the TFP Turkey Baster method of debris collection!

If you collect any, please consider sharing a photo.

If you live with it, join the crowd :) If you want to add some DE or CF and give polishing the water a try, we can help here with that too. I've never done it, but helped many others with almost all users happy. Some didn't see any changes from their already clear water. Some swear there is more sparkle and clarity and now do it regularly. A rare few had it slip through a previously unknown broken lateral and go into the pool.

Any other questions/thoughts/concerns at the moment?

Hello again. For some reason my water is appearing hazy again after being crystal clear on Friday (less the stubborn brown spots as mentioned previously). It may not look too bad in these pics but trust me it is not clear like it was or should be. But WHY??? FC has not dropped below 7.5 since coming off the SLAM. Today's results:
FC 8
CC 0.5
CYA 70
pH 7.5
TA 140 (this was high prior to having to do SLAM and is high again after SLAM ... no idea why or how big a deal that test result is)

I have been running SWG for 5 hours on high and even ran it on super chlorinate mode for a couple extra hours this afternoon when I noticed the haziness.
I've included a pic of the hairnet I removed from skimmer because it did appear to collect some greenish residue.
I really don't want to lose my pool again...we just got back to swimming... and I sure hope I don't have to reSLAM it!! I'm real frustrated right about now as you might imagine. :drown::cry::?:

Attachments

• 20180525_144754.jpg
    20180525_144754.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 138
  • 20180603_171416.jpg
    20180603_171416.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 139
  • 20180603_164740.jpg
    20180603_164740.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 141
Did you take your steps out and clean them inside and out? What is helping to hold the steps down?

For now I say you use liquid chlorine to help your SWG out. I would like to see you keep your FC at around 10 for a while. This is the upper end of "normal" for your CYA of 70.

We will revisit this after you tell me about your steps.

For future (and present) use, I'm wondering about the Recommended Levels. It says minimum 3 and target 5 for vinyl with SWG and CYA 70 for example but that seems so low. I don't think I'll ever keep it below 7 out of fear of going green again!

You have to learn YOUR pool and area...............How high do you need to target our FC to make sure it does not drop below the min? My pool gets full sun from 11am to about 6 pm in the summer. For that reason I run my FC at the upper end for may CYA using the chart. With you having a SWG you will need to learn how long to run the pump and what % to set the SWG on. It will be a learning curve. That is where good record keeping comes in handy. After a while you will start to see patterns. Some of will even be due to the weather.

Do you know about the Pool Math App? If not here is the link: Pool Math It even tracks the weather for your area!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.