First time slammer, checking in

Note: the below is if you didn't add the clarifier already - if you did, this may contradict the clarifier's instructions as to FC

This just seems like a classic case of too little FC - which we will handle once and for all when you get back.

For now: When he can, and when the pump is running and will be running for at least 20 minutes, have your son SLOWLY pour 3 gallons in today, then a gallon tomorrow. If he has less than that available, just put what he has in there, no worries. No reduction to SWG or pump run time.

Then put it out of your mind and have a wonderful trip, trusting we will get this sorted and on cruise control once and for all when you return.

FC 3.5 this AM. Before I leave I'm adding a gallon and will have son add 2 more later. Did add clarifier last night but it says it can be used with other products and during a shock. It does have the crushed seashells.

Attachments

• 20180613_061035.jpg
    20180613_061035.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 105
FC 3.5 this AM. Before I leave I'm adding a gallon and will have son add 2 more later. Did add clarifier last night but it says it can be used with other products and during a shock. It does have the crushed seashells.
Pool does have fewer brown spots and is a bit less cloudy this AM, not significantly though.

When I read the details about, it seems like a "liquid" DE to me...
Meaning it would have had more effect being added directly to the skimmer, as opposed to broadcast over the water (that is the instructions, broadcast) But I think it is "glorified" liquid DE, once you vacuum, it will 'start" working. :D

The day your water went from debris on the floor but clear to not clear was technically SLAM Process need confirmed and stock up and begin at your next available opportunity.

After this SLAM Process, please post your daily FC and CC measurements (you can post FC readings during slam too!). Also, since this is summer in Florida, it really is best not to flirt too much with the min FC line - you really want to have the SWG maintaining target FC at most to all testing times. If the pool gets regular swimmers, you'll have to either dial the SWG in for a couple FC above target or manually add bleach after swimming and torrential rains. If I had an SWG in Florida and had regular swimmers, I'd be target plus two FC at first and then lower if my FC and CC tests showed I was wasting money. I'm of the belief that I'd rather replace a salt cell more often and not have to slam ever.

Restarting slam tonight with following numbers:
pH 7.5
CYA 70-80
FC 30 (from 9)
Does it make any difference running pump on low or high setting during SLAM?
Here is starting point photo:

Attachments

• 15290974922208101469138963401177.jpg
    15290974922208101469138963401177.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 71

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I've basically run out of the R0870 powder and order won't be in until Monday at earliest. Local pool store doesn't carry it of course. Is there another way to test FC at high levels or will I just need to "guess" on the high side until the order comes??

Went to leslie's to see if they had replacement CYA view tube (of course not) and dpd powder (of course not) and in asking about an alternative for testing shock level (30) the guy said there's no difference over you get over 10 or 15... wth does he mean by that?? The kit they sell only tests up to 20 and I'm shockingat 30 whichhe said is overkill. Of courseI'm not taking his advice, just curious why other kits don't treat beyond 20.

It means his stuff does not go that high so it does not make any difference if you are higher in his eyes.

I am surprised his kit goes to 20. Most of the drop kits only go to 5 or 10 depending on the kit. It is all about the money....cheaper is NOT always better.

Went to leslie's to see if they had replacement CYA view tube (of course not) and dpd powder (of course not) and in asking about an alternative for testing shock level (30) the guy said there's no difference over you get over 10 or 15... wth does he mean by that?? The kit they sell only tests up to 20 and I'm shockingat 30 whichhe said is overkill. Of courseI'm not taking his advice, just curious why other kits don't treat beyond 20.

I'm a newbie poster here, but have read many many TFP threads and also done quite a bit of plain old Google research and the basic answer is that the pool supply industry does not believe in the same methodology as the TFP community. Whether that is simply in the name of profit or a less ominous following of outdated information(EPA still says safe level of chlorine is 4ppm), doesn't particularly matter. We just have to accept that the pool store guy(especially if he's just the guy behind the counter) has been taught differently than you. He will most likely tell you FC needs to be less than 5ppm or swimmers will get irritated skin and eyes and if you ask about the FC/CYA relationship you will likely get a blank stare. So for him, >10ppm FC is shock level and there is no reason to go higher because he does not understand that your high CYA is reducing the amount of effective disinfecting chlorine.

As for his kit, I'm guessing it's a OTO test kit and you can get(a very inaccurate) reading up to 20 by testing a x4 dilution...that's just a guess though...

Pool has almost been restored! I've decided the key has been vacuuming to waste and rinsing sand. Done that twice over the weekend and as you can tell, big difference!! Of course, keeping shock level at 30 every 3 hours and brushing also. I think I may be in the "clear" after an OCLT tonight but I won't be cutting it short!!

Attachments

• 20180618_074403.jpg
    20180618_074403.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 33
  • 20180618_074507.jpg
    20180618_074507.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 33
  • 20180618_074429.jpg
    20180618_074429.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 32
Came home to more brown spots tonight but sucked those babies outta there, then backwashed and rinsed lots of green water. Here's what it looks like minus the spots... hoping the spots will decrease overnight but am thankful for sparkling water!

Attachments

• 20180618_174211.jpg
    20180618_174211.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 31
  • 20180618_174226.jpg
    20180618_174226.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 31

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.