First time slammer, checking in

Stick with 28. Since you're topping it off frequently, you wouldn't be gaining any significant advantage, and the downsides are likely losing more to sun, more drops, and less well studied/harsher on liner.

I do believe you have a solid grasp on CYA testing procedure - just wasn't sure as to quality of light when testing. 28 with more tests and brushing will get you there, no doubt. It will be even bluer or greyer tomorrow - both indicate major progress. May or may not be cloudier - it doesn't matter - dead algae will filter out.

Getting there.... 10am test was 30, I guess I added a little more FC last night. 6pm test was 25 so not much loss throughout hottest part of day, and water looking more cloudy blue/green. Brushed tonight and home all day tomorrow so will test a little more often and keep posting progress. Thanks for all the help Yakima!

Love the progress! Love the brushing!

So you've just about got the SLAM at full throttle - so this is the time in the thread I ask ... is there anything else we should know about the pool? Do you have it promised open for a certain date or anything?

Generally speaking, from here it is maintain FC, brush, vac, backwash when PSI reading mandates. It works. It's like BBQ, it's done when it is done. Crystal clear, Trouble Free water once again.

That being said, if we have deadlines we're trying to meet, now is an appropriate time to discuss them - after you top off the FC of course!

Well that’s a timely question for the day!! My wife and kids are certainly anxious with this 90+ degree weather and losing some confidence in my method for getting the pool back.

This morning my FC was steady at 29, this afternoon at 27 so I topped off, but just now it was 23 again so another gallon of chlorine it is! And no visible Improvement to water quality. So yeah I’m a bit over the SLAM but not calling the local pool service guy just yet. Here are a couple pics taken just now. The second shows the side wall so you can see the gradual decline in visibility as water is deeper.

Attachments

• 91A21355-A027-46B5-9816-A92C7C862752.jpg
    91A21355-A027-46B5-9816-A92C7C862752.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 237
  • 9432278E-8797-4DD4-8F76-1F34C13DA3FE.jpg
    9432278E-8797-4DD4-8F76-1F34C13DA3FE.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 235
mdhkdh, I think you are doing great, I can see improvements and I think you can too. This is the time when it really is the hardest because the visual cue's are not as telling as we would like them to be but the visual is really the last part that comes into it's place. Keeping the FC in Shock levels is the maintain part of slaM.

You have already done everything you needed to do to get to this stage. Nothing added will help, you already know this to be true from the many, many, many testimonies of people who are here to share and help, not set you up for failure.

That sand filter is working as hard as it can to prove you right, your valuable Chlorine is in there fighting with everything it has for your family. That pool wants your family in it as badly as they want to be in it and YOU my man are doing EVERYTHING right to make that happen.

Keep it up, everyone here has got your back.

I respect your decision no matter what you decide to do. My vote is still SLAM with up to three bushings a day and up to hourly FC top offs. Vacuum too if you haven't since the SLAM started.

If you do invite a stranger to play with your pool, please inform yourself on sodium bromide before hand. Many (most?) quick fix pool magic workers add algae treatments containing sodium bromide and usually add enough to show fast results, which ends up in the 5-20ppm range.

Pro: Bromine is a sanitizer, so it will do some fast sanitizing (but you already have this totally under control with the bleach as long as your CYA reading is true to level actually in pool)

Con: Bromine has no CYA counterpart, so UV burns it up faster than the chlorine and if that wasn't bad enough, you would experience a constant chlorine demand from the bromide being converted to bromine by chlorine. So the bromine will get used up more rapidly than the chlorine and it will constantly use up chlorine in the process too. Unnecessary one time expense - PLUS higher and less predictable chlorine costs for a long time.

That being said, I've seen a few people make tremendous progress by using it after sunset or in well shaded pools or even adding A LOT a couple days before a big party they started preparing for too late. In all cases they ended up draining the pool and refilling it because the bromine drove them crazy and burned money.

P.S. - My father took care of pools before the days of the internet and TFP being what they are today. His solution was always just to dump insane amounts of chlorine/bleach in daily until blue. He burned through many liners in his AGPs and resurfaced his IG pools far more than normal pool owners - but he is always quick to point out he can turn a pool blue faster than I can (but my pools almost never go green, even during hurricanes). Point is - depending on what type of pool owner you are, and how protective you are of your finish/liner - watch out for any pool service people who are suggesting you overshoot the [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA] Shock FC levels by much.
So if you quit on TFP, just make sure you're going to something better that doesn't sell out the long term for the short term - and please, please, please let us know what it is so we can all test it! We're always looking for ways to be both faster and thriftier while still being safe and trouble free!

- - - Updated - - -

As soon as you can see the bottom everywhere, water is no longer green, and FC is between min and shock, you can swim. It doesn't have to be crystal clear, just in those parameters. Grey comes from dead algae floating and waiting to be grabbed by sand filter - no threat.

As always, anyone with a compromised immune system or other special health consideration should consult a doctor rather than use our guidelines for healthy humans.

I am sticking with the TFP SLAM. I don’t want to compromise my pool and It seems like I’m getting closer, just didn’t expect it to be this long. But maybe my CYA reading was off or I didn’t test often enough early on to keep it at shock level all day. I was running out of R0871 until my refill kit came so that was why I tested a little less often than I probably should have. Hopefullly by tomorrow I’ll be seeing more blue than green!

Can’t say how much I appreciate the extra coaching and expertise. You guys are amazing.

Yes, I agree, it has taken longer than I expected too! I was guessing it was clear very recently - perhaps it was green longer than I guessed. Also, I forgot how amazingly intense the UV has been the last couple weeks - I mean I've been baking out there and get strictly punished if I don't reapply sunscreen every 80 minutes. My brainpower allocated to curiosity about the CYA accuracy might have been better directed at how the algae bloom might have been more severe than I guessed, and there are certainly some UV index measurements that are happy to explain how a bloom could have blossomed in warm water super fast! Summer SLAMS, in my observation, are much slower and costlier than winter SLAMS - but what's done is done and it can surely be cleaned up just as surely.

In any case, the longer the SLAM goes, the less and less algae remains, and the faster the color change tends to accelerate. One thing I forgot to mention at the beginning of this thread is the "photo proof" approach where you stand at the same place daily and take an identical picture in similar lighting/timing of the same place in the pool (usually the stairs or ladder) and generally this approach shows progress far more truthfully than the naked eye.

Since we don't have an accurate predictor of how bad a swamp is - we don't have a foolproof way to predict the time - so TFP users have come around to saying something along the following: It didn't get that way overnight, and it won't be fixed overnight. They're right, it does take time for the chemistry to work, but the SLAM has been developed to keep the speed at a happy balance of aggressive sanitization and long-term conservative liner/plaster/fiberglass protection.

I am sticking with the TFP SLAM. I don’t want to compromise my pool and It seems like I’m getting closer

And the Crowd goes WILD!!!! :kim:

Can’t say how much I appreciate the extra coaching and expertise. You guys are amazing.

I for one personally meant every word of it. You are going to be amazed at the end results and your family is gonna be the proudest on the block. Hope you have a good grill // cookout situation because your joint is going to become very popular! Kudo's on fighting through it. We remain here to help.. every. step. of. the. way.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So true about the sun baking everything this week!! Been finishing the other side of our deck around the pool and getting fried while doing so!! Today was more cloud cover but my afternoon test still dropped to 23 so the algae must still be fighting a bit. Did see the bottom pattern of the liner again today though and only noticed a couple very small splotches of brown. Got the 15 yr old in there to brush while I was doing deck work. Ran the pool rover for 4 hours after that. Sand filter still running at same pressure so have not backwashed it yet. That will be a First also whenever the time comes.... So many firsts here at 60days into pool ownership!!! Woohoo!?!?

no pics today....too busy with the deck....but water is definitely more cloudy blue than green.... I can almost smell the burgers on the grill!;)

What is your PSI reading? I'm just wondering when exactly the last time it was backwashed...might already be at dirty psi unless we know it isn't. If we don't know - we should either do a backwash or investigate the strength of the water at the return jet with something that can't poke a hole in the liner if you let go of it accidentally. Start about a foot from the return and you should feel the object being pushed away from you, then slowly move towards the jet and by 8 inches you should feel it strong and as you move closer to the wall it should be challenging to impossble to get close to it without being pushed away, depending on what your tester object is. In a clean/safe pool we just use our hands, but who knows what's in yours at the moment. Maybe a flattened bleach jug would work - with a cap on it would float for easy recovery. A stiff piece of cardboard might be great.

If you decide to just backwash now and skip the testing - backwash 2mins, rinse 30s, backwash 30s, rinse 30s, (all times are "or longer until clear;" always turn off pump/motor before switching the multiport valve; always turn valve only in one direction) then go back to filter, turn back on and check PSI to get clean PSI. (make sure you give it a few seconds and purge any air with air bleeder valve before taking clean psi reading). Please do make sure you have at least an inch of water above the bottom of the skimmer basket - since you'll lose some backwashing and it is inconvenient to run out of water during a backwash!

Followup to our previous convo about deadlines/speeding up will come tomorrow after we sort out this backwash business. Also, on days when you can without altering your schedule, throw an extra test and fc top off in there to avoid it falling so low on the sunny stretch. Not at all necessary, but if you're there and it doesn't impact you - do it.

I am sticking with the TFP SLAM. I don’t want to compromise my pool

This is worth a repeat. I just Love reading that. What a testimony to ALL OF YOU VOLUNTEERS & MODS! Keep getting the message out there, YOU are changing Families Lives for the better! So many of us buy a pool for our family our kids, grandkids, wives, husbands and so many of us quickly sink and the dreams of clear and blue water vanishes leaving us literally heart broken.

Fight the fight, it is so worth it.

Happy Mothers Day!

Lots of rain yesterday and still drizzling this morning!! My morning test was 28, noon was 27, then dropped to 23 by evening...due to the rain I suppose? Added a gallon and this morning it reads 36??? Brushed yesterday, can see the bottom this morning with a couple splotches of brown. Will get in this morning and brush again before heading to work! Hope to have things leveled off by Thursday bc we will be out of town Friday and Saturday :-?:?:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 210
My PSI seems to be staying consistent at 18 with pump running constant on high. No drop over the SLAM timeframe. Of course it’s a new install in March so it hasn’t worked much yet, until now of course. Pressure at the return jet is very strong. Occasionally have to restart pump (maybe once a day) but that is my pump issue and still waiting on the new one to arrive.

Once I do get to the backwash stage I assume I backwash into a bucket so I can see clearness of the water? I hope to be able to wait to do this when the new pump is here bc I have to manually turn the shaft with a flathead each time to get it to start.:thumbdown::wink:

Lots of rain yesterday and still drizzling this morning!! My morning test was 28, noon was 27, then dropped to 23 by evening...due to the rain I suppose? Added a gallon and this morning it reads 36??? Brushed yesterday, can see the bottom this morning with a couple splotches of brown. Will get in this morning and brush again before heading to work! Hope to have things leveled off by Thursday bc we will be out of town Friday and Saturday :-?:?:

Make sure you are using POOL MATH and ONLY adding what it recommends. No need to waste that Valuable Chlorine.

My PSI seems to be staying consistent at 18 with pump running constant on high. No drop over the SLAM timeframe.
Good info. Be on the lookout for the pressure to actually increase as the water's path through the sand gets narrower and narrower - despite the pump not pumping any weaker - creating higher pressures within the filter pressure vessel. While the PSIs will rise, the return jet will feel weaker.

Once I do get to the backwash stage I assume I backwash into a bucket so I can see clearness of the water? I hope to be able to wait to do this when the new pump is here bc I have to manually turn the shaft with a flathead each time to get it to start.:thumbdown::wink:
The general TFP guideline for backwash is 20-25% - and this was arrived at following significant testing and expert consultation. At the end of the day, given countless combinations of motors and filters out there, this, perhaps more than most, is indeed a guideline and not a rule. By monitoring the return just pressure and the PSI gauge, you can decide your own backwash PSI, as long as it is still under the manufacture maximum, oftentimes, but not always 10 PSI higher than clean PSI. So as long as you can safely delay it, no rush to backwash until new motor. The impact to your timeline is far less than slacking on FC and brushing for example.

Worry not! That FC overshoot is temporary as it will fall fast and appears highly unlikely to cause any damage.

As you can see, your FC doesn't fall to zero in a day or anything. The sun eats more than it will as FC falls closer to target where a larger percentage is better protected via CYA ratio, that stubborn brown claiming a lot - but by and large, you're charging towards holding FC much better as the trouble free pools do. Just top FC off before you leave and let it circulate for 20 mins. Then you can either leave the pump on or off, whatever you feel more comfortable with. You may opt to leave it off and let solids settle, then do a VERY SLOW vac when you get home, so as not to kick up the sediment before the vac pulls it in. Some TFPers really swear by the letting it settle then vac approach towards the end of a SLAM, especially with sand filters, which despite their unique advantages, are slower to clean up a swamp without the aid of DE or CF (see below).

As your pool clears - one of two things will happen:
1) you'll be really excited that this crazy SLAM Process business is as fantastic as the rest of TFP and all will be well soon enough
2) you'll be grateful that it is blue with no more green or brown anywhere - but you'll swear to us that it will never get totally clear and there isn't any progress being made with the cloudiness

If 1, yay!

If 2, take a deep breath - all will be well. One aspect that the SLAM can't account for is how much algae was allowed to grow, and the quantity of grey dead algae that is left on the bottom of your pool and floating throughout it. This is what, at the very end of the SLAM, can drag things out a bit IF your filter is drastically undersized or circulation is insufficient. In your case, I don't think either are a problem, but this is a guess.

If, in the future (not now, your SLAM isn't there yet), you achieve perfectly blue water, no signs of live algae at all, and the cloudiness just will not resolve itself on a timeline you will tolerate, then there is a protocol for that, 100% optional and 100% unnecessary as it does not do anything your sand filter will be able to achieve given enough time - however long or short that may be. Generally speaking, cloudiness after pool is remediated of algae is mostly gone in a week with a properly sized pump/filter using sand. For pool owners who just can't wait, there are two things that can be used to modify the filtering ability of your sand filter. These are Pool Grade DE and Cellulose Fiber (CF). Pros: speed things up! Cons: more hands on time, more water (and FC) lost to backwashing, cost of DE or CF. These are only suggested in a very small % of SLAMS, but given that the swim season is upon us, and many pool owners have been given the impossible task of immediately reversing algae proliferation that had the luxury of time - I elect to inform you and let you decide what's in your best interest. I tell you now, way ahead of when we *might* have this conversation so that if you know you want it, you have time to research it, source it, and acquire it. There are countless threads about DE or CF and they can be researched on TFP. Ask any questions you have here. Again, totally unnecessary, but if you're willing to do anything for speed, we can discuss it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.