First time poster with cloudy water

I did the overnight chlorine test and I only lost 0.5. Also, the water is much better today as I can now see the floor drain in the deep end. Should I try to adjust my Ph and alkalinity before I start draining another 6500 gallons for the refill on Monday.

I did the overnight chlorine test and I only lost 0.5. Also, the water is much better today as I can now see the floor drain in the deep end. Should I try to adjust my Ph and alkalinity before I start draining another 6500 gallons for the refill on Monday.
No, you should see what the new water brings! No need to do chems twice.

Here are the test results after the second refill.
CYA 60
FC 12.5
CC 0.0
TC 12.5
CH 250
TA 120
PH is a little tricky because I couldn’t it to calibrate to 7.2. Got it 7.1 in the standard and pool was 7.5. Played with it but still could only get as close as 7.1 and then pool was 7.6.
overall water looks way better. Maybe a hair cloudy and of course it is going to rain all night. If I’m correct, FC is high and both PH and TA are a touch high while CYA is not ideal but it’s manageable. I’ll do an overnight chlorine test but not sure on how the rain will effect it. At this point, other than to turn on heater, I’m not sure of my next step(s).

Here are the test results after the second refill.
CYA 60
FC 12.5
CC 0.0
TC 12.5
CH 250
TA 120
PH is a little tricky because I couldn’t it to calibrate to 7.2. Got it 7.1 in the standard and pool was 7.5. Played with it but still could only get as close as 7.1 and then pool was 7.6.
overall water looks way better. Maybe a hair cloudy and of course it is going to rain all night. If I’m correct, FC is high and both PH and TA are a touch high while CYA is not ideal but it’s manageable. I’ll do an overnight chlorine test but not sure on how the rain will effect it. At this point, other than to turn on heater, I’m not sure of my next step(s).
With FC above 10, pH will be inaccurate.

At this point, you should continue slam at FC=24. Keep it there. If you can check and add every 2 hours, GREAT!

Don't worry about any other test at this point, except FC. Save those re-agents.

Either way, keep the slam until you meet all three criteria -->SLAM Process

You got it now!

This morning the pool looks a little more cloudy than yesterday but it did rain all night and was still raining this morning. I wanted to do some quick tests before I left for work but the rain was coming down too hard. When I get home tonight I am plan to start the SLAM process but I am a little confused. Yesterday my FC was at 12.5 and I was told that at that level the pH test will be inaccurate. The SLAM process says to check and adjust the pH to between 7.2 and 7.5 and make sure to take care of this before starting the SLAM. So should I start the SLAM tonight or work on getting the pH corrected first?

So should I start the SLAM tonight or work on getting the pH corrected first?
You have indicated you have a pH probe. Those are not effected by FC levels. So if that is an accurate measurement device, you can adjust pH when you can. The sooner you get the FC to SLAM level, the sooner the pool will clear.

Reactions: Newdude
I will start the process as soon as I get home tonight. My thought process is to test the FC and then add enough liquid chlorine to get it up to 24. Depending on the FC level, I’m thinking a minimum 3 gallons of liquid chlorine. The filter is running 24 hours now so I will test again before I go to sleep and if necessary add more liquid chlorine. Then repeat the process again in the morning before I go to work. I’m going to have to make a run to get some liquid chlorine at lunch today.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
That’s a really good price as I was buying 4 gallons of 10% at Meijer for $15.99. There is a Menards on my way home but the Menards in Lake Orion is only about 15 minutes from my house.

That’s a really good price as I was buying 4 gallons of 10% at Meijer for $15.99. There is a Menards on my way home but the Menards in Lake Orion is only about 15 minutes from my house.
Just check the Menard's on you way home. I have found all the stores have 200+ bottles.

So I just got home from work and the water looks really good. I can see the entire bottom of the pool in the deep end. I tested the chlorine and I’m at FC 9.5 and CC 0.5. 24 hours ago I was at FC 12.0 and CC 0.0 and I have yet to add any chlorine since then. Do I still continue with the slam and take the FC up to 24 right now.

You can run the robot but it should be removed and washed out when the cycle is done. I would not leave it in the water all the time at SLAM level FC.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.