First time poster with cloudy water

First test complete as I did the chlorine test. Put 10ml in tube and added R-0870. Water turned pink immediately. Then added 26 drops of R-0871 before water was clear. Then added 5 drops of R-0003 and water turned pink again. Added 2 drops of R-0871 and water was clear again. If I got this right, FC is 13, CC is 1 and TC is 14. On to the next test.

• Love
Reactions: Newdude and mknauss
came to 60 so times 2 is cya of 120.
Pretty normal for trichlor use. Start considering how you will drain/exchange 50% of your pool volume.

EDIT - seeing your location, unless you have a swamp, if you can limp to closing and start fresh next spring following TFPC, that might be best.

Calcium hardness is 24 drops times 25 so 600. This one is hard to do because it’s hard to tell when the water turned blue. Depending on the shade of blue desired, it could be lower but I’m not sure. It go from pink to blue after 24 drops though.

We live on a well so I will have to truck in some water to do a partial drain and refill. I do have one outside hose that comes from the water softener but I can only run it for 30 minutes then it has to do it’s thing. I usually will not run the hose into the pool for than one hour a day. I will test the water from the hose though. Also, I have no problem doing a partial drain as we usually use the pool into October.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I could try that test again. It was very tough to judge when the water turned blue. It could have turned blue much sooner than 24 drops.
A Stir device is nearly required to do the CH test. If you have metals in your water, it can interfere. Follow the metal interference process as shown in Calcium Hardness - Trouble Free Pool

I did the CH test for the full water and it never turned pink. Blue right of the bat. I will try the metal interference process.
That must be from your water softener. You said you did not use that water for the pool.

Hardest test so far. Calibrating the ph tester. Pool water tested at a ph of 7.4. So I think I’m done with all of the tests for today and if I’m correct a partial drain is the best thing to do right now.

Reactions: Newdude
and if I’m correct a partial drain is the best thing to do right now.
It is. It may not be the most efficient thing to do though. With a CYA of 120 you’ll want at least a half exchange. If you have somewhere to put the water, and refilling is cheap, then by all means. I filled my old pool with my sprinkler pump. I was out the cost of the electric and I could drain for days. So it was easy and cheap.

But for a lot of folks it isn’t. If yours isn’t worth the hassle or cost, You’ll lose most of the CYA over the winter with zero effort. You’ll be closing in a month or so, it’s not like you have many months to go like down south.

up to you. There are no wrong choices here.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.