First Time Owner Build in Dallas

bb1dc3ddf254207c29a151a6903b981e.jpg
43a26a0dfec51bcc2995f7ce8e9a3ac8.jpg
787ab88b8e5b31c7c7b47f5a37ec1f5a.jpg
26b6983963524f710308fec83f9304e7.jpg

The guys got quite a bit done today. Most of the ledger stone is up and they are pretty much done with the overflow. Thanks again for the heads up Kim, that could have been bad! I've been pretty lucky to avoid any serious issues up to this point (knock on wood). This upcoming week the electricians will run the supply from the panel, tile and coping should be wrapped up, and irrigation, drainage, and paver base will hopefully get taken care of. I have plaster on for a week from Wednesday, with a little luck I'll be able to hit that but will have a better idea by Tuesday or Wednesday.

Good news bad news update. The good news is the pool has water!

b6beb09692d2543e251742dd7c4c69e4.jpg

496536866d0799c7b071ec01f78708e1.jpg

b260969008c6588d5878fccb6f43c10c.jpg

ede0c0b68d31b6a9c3ec7da49bd043aa.jpg

ee01c21641803f9dce8673364bc7ceaa.jpg

And for Kim!

b3b816dad3526c04c75a53f956508616.jpg

And now for the bad news. Neither of the intelliflo pumps are working. I’ve tried filling the plumbing back up from the skimmer, isolating the valves to try each suction source (2 skimmers and 2 floor drains) I even tried hooking up a hose to the pressure bib on the return side of the pump and running it during prime, and got nothing.

I’ve got the plumbers coming back out Wednesday but in the meantime I’m without filtration. It finished filling on Saturday at 1AM and I’ve been working on the TA and PH since then, along with brushing twice a day (the plaster co recommended the NPC 28 day start up, which is similar to the traditional method of running pumps 24/7 and keeping TA around 80 and ph around 7.2-7.6.

My question is this: without filtration until Wednesday, should I call an audible and do the acid start up method? There really hasn’t been much plaster dust. They plastered Wednesday afternoon and came back and did an acid wash Thursday morning then started filling.

Thanks.

In the words of another moderator - "The Intelliflo VS pump will suck the paint off a wall" -- so you have an issue with valve setting or something else.

Let us know how you resolved it.

Take care.

New Plaster Start Up Dilema

Good Afternoon,

I posted this in my build thread over in the under construction forum but haven't gotten any bites yet so figured it might be more appropriate here. Long story short, I GCed my pool and plaster was completed this past Wednesday afternoon with acid wash Thursday morning, followed by about 40 hours of filling. Once the pool was full Saturday morning around 1AM I tried to get the circulation pump to fire up but with no luck. We can't figure out how to get it to work so I'm stuck until Wednesday when the plumbers are coming back.

The finish is an exposed micro pebble and the company that did the work recommended the NPC 28 day start up, which is pretty close to what you'd consider the traditional method on here, which is to balance the PH around 7.2-7.8 and keep the TA around 80 while running the filter for 24 hours a day. I've been doing that but obviously without the filter, so I'm considering calling an audible and going with the acid start up method. There hasn't been much plaster dust at all but I've been brushing twice daily. Do you think it's worth it or should I just continue to keep the PH and TA parameters while brushing until Wednesday? I don't want to be too harsh on the plaster since it has already been acid washed, but the lack of circulation makes me nervous. There are a few areas that are lighter than others on the plaster.

Thanks in advance.

Doc,

Let's focus on one pump at a time... The simplest should be your water feature pump..

I see the input pipe appears to have a check valve in front of it.. is that true? If so, I would want to make sure it is installed to allow water to come up and into the pump. It could be installed backwards.

Where in the pool does this pump get its water from?

It appears all the output valves are open, so even if this did not get your water features to work like you want, it should not keep the pump from running.

When you turn on just this one pump, what happens and what does the pressure gauge above the pump read?

Thanks,

Jim R.

Re: New Plaster Start Up Dilema

As I answered in your other thread - there must be a valve setting issue or a huge suction side air leak. An Intelliflo VS will prime if not.

Stick a hose into the skimmer and down the suction line to the pump. You should get water at the pump basket. Then try it.

Good luck.

Re: New Plaster Start Up Dilema

I would say the contingency is to brush, alot, like several times a day, and manage your pH. The pump running is to primarily filter out the dust.

I think you can get these pumps running. As long as they will turn on, at priming speed, no reason they will not prime if water is available.

Good luck.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks Marty, I've still got both hoses back there so I'll put one in each skimmer and give that a try. Good idea, I think last time I tried that the valve might have been closed so hopefully that will do the trick!

Until you can figure out your pumps you can use a submersible pump to move the water as you get it balanced. The brushing will also really help with this.

I am hoping Jim and Marty can get your pumps working. I do have to ask.........do they turn on? My poor husband would call this my "girl question" but one that needs to be asked to make sure!

LOL on the light! Good job! It is a motion activated one?

Kim:kim:

Yep pumps turn on and go through the priming motion. It is a Ring flood light cam, really nice to follow the progress live throughout the build! My only complaint is there’s a good 10 second delay between your alert and being able to pull up the live view.

Regarding the pump problems, we have a winner - Jim. It was hard to see with how dirty everything had gotten so I hosed it off and pulled up the Jandy manual and the suction check valves are installed backwards. Unfortunately I don’t have the time to reverse them but I’m going to call in the morning to raise some cane and see if I can get them out that day.

Thanks for all the helpful responses!

Good job Jim!

Of course running the water up from the skimmers would have shown the same thing - but you would have gotten wet!!!!

Take care.

- - - Updated - - -

Next question is, why have check valves on the suction side? Really not necessary and adds quite a bit of head loss to your system.

Travertine has been installed, now just have to finalize landscape. Pool is working well ever since the fun check valve issue, currently have a skimmer partially clogged due to vacuuming leaves but I️ should be receiving my Drain King in the next couple days to try to clear it.

6b9c0ec7a7d04c92b6cc8512cc3e0634.jpg

e06378456c086f68661d858efd3820d6.jpg
47bfc3ec1fb613420f1756cf1f451dad.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.