First Time Owner Build in Dallas

Here are some updated pictures. The excavation took an extra day due to hitting rock (nice little hit to the budget as well). Plumbers and steel crew were working side by side yesterday and the plumbers had to come back this morning to pressure test everything, finish up, and cover their trenches. Should have our bond inspection tomorrow then if we pass, gunite Monday!

IMG_0639.jpg

IMG_0640.jpg

IMG_0655.jpg

Things are pretty tight in the backyard so they did have the dump truck in the alley and were unloading over the fence. It worked pretty well and they didn't hit the fence, the only collateral damage was the motor for the sliding gate is no longer working. I'm sure it's a simple fix, I just can't figure it out.

- - - Updated - - -

Things will slow down a little after that as we haven't quite finalized our selections, but we're leaning towards the following:

Waterline tile - 1"x2" Artistry in Mosaics Cobalt Tile ($14.58/sf)

GP82348B1-2_d4deea7f4a41e75d288683a503f7d05e.jpg

vs.

National Pool Tile($28.30/sf)

LWV-Blue_1x2.jpg

I'd like to save a little money but with glass tile it seems like going with a big brand like NPT seems safer.

2X4-NOCE-Travertine-SPLIT-FACE-MOSAIC-580x580.jpg

I purchased all of the equipment from WholesalePoolEquipment.com. Good people who have helped quite a bit getting everything together. They also made some good suggestions from what I had put together.

Jason I will get you those subs here in a bit.

Both of those tiles are VERY pretty! Make sure you pick the color of mastic you want to go under them. Gray, light gray, white........all are good but really change the color. Think about the color of grout as well. Blend or pop??

Well at least you know your pool will not move with all of that rock :roll: Did you have any idea it might be down there? OUCH for sure!

Kim:kim:

Things will slow down a little after that as we haven't quite finalized our selections, but we're leaning towards the following:

Waterline tile - 1"x2" Artistry in Mosaics Cobalt Tile ($14.58/sf)

View attachment 69119

vs.

National Pool Tile($28.30/sf)

View attachment 69120

I'd like to save a little money but with glass tile it seems like going with a big brand like NPT seems safer.

Those are retail prices. With a trade discount, you should be able to get both tiles for much less.

Alright, here are the subs I've used/am using:

Excavation - Nunez Excavation
Plumbing, Steel, and Electric - Alliance
Gunite - Metroplex Gunite
Gas - Used my plumber I use on residential, he begrudgingly complied :D
Tile, Stone, and Plaster - TNT

Kim - yeah, at least I now have $2,500 worth of peace of mind! We did hit the water table on the last foot or so, so at least I'll feel a little more comfortable that the shell will be surrounded by rock.

MCow - that $40-50k price tag disappeared after week 1 unfortunately. Just don't tell my wife!

LDV - Great idea, I will sign our company up to get wholesale pricing or just have my landscaper order for me (they do about 30 pools a year).

We got the green tag today. I was supposed to be on the schedule for Monday for gunite but when I called to firm up the date they said they'll "let me know when they can get out". Luckily there's no rain in the schedule so I'm not too too worried about it.

Just a few things I've run into -

1) The pool is the right size but it is 1 foot too far to the right, which costs me 1' of walk space. Not the biggest deal in the world, I just wish I'd been there to let the excavators know before it was too late.
2) Didn't realize that Alliance weren't actually licensed plumbers. They don't connect into anything (sewer or gas) so I had to scramble regarding the gas line for the heater. Luckily in my line of work it wasn't too difficult.
3) For the excavation, I should have asked about rock and what the extra charge would be if it was encountered so it wasn't a price they could give after the fact. I think it was still fair, just would have been better to know and be prepared beforehand. I should have asked how long he anticipated the dig taking and how much time he has allotted before there were extra charges.
4) They said they usually tie the bubblers in with the filter pump to keep the water on the shelf moving, but I had them put it on the feature pump with the waterfalls and will just have to program it to kick on at certain intervals.

Haha ok well I hate to say I'm glad it cost you more but I was going to be extremely impressed if you could build it for that. My neighbor did build a $50k pool but he went pretty minimal on all selections to do it.

Just for frame of reference our PB told us if they hit rock it was $300/hour additional until it was done.

Gunite is in! The folks at Metroplex Gunite did a great job, all of the bond beams are very consistent and the finish looks great. Met with a tile/plaster contractor this morning, hope to keep things moving so we can get the pool filled up, likely just in time for the first big cold front :lol:

gunite1.jpg

gunite2.jpg

Time to start bonding with your pool aka watering it! This helps it cure with less cracks. Once you get tired of hand watering it you can set up a sprinkler to do it for you.

Here is YOUR set of links:

Print these out:
Pool School - Basic Pool Care Schedule

Pool School - Recommended Levels

Bookmark these:

Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

PoolMath

Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Make sure to ask any and all questions you might have no matter how small! We have all been where you are at one point.

Now is also the time I ask what test kit your PB is providing. Let us know so we can fill in any blanks.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Watering started last night and watered again this morning. Plan to water twice a day for 5-7 days. Thanks for the links Kim! I am planning on the TF-100, have that on my list of things to buy.

I do have a question about the raised spa. I had them keep it at 11" of bond beam, and there is a 2" stone ledge for the ledger tile. Wondering if it is going to look strange with 12" double bullnose coping just on the spa, since I'll technically be trying to cover up 13.5" of material (2" of the ledger stone + 11" of bond beam + probably .5-1" of waterline tile. Any suggestions?

aeb0d8e9258de227913a2dbd7df5ca42.jpg

a81270040a5f35a8132ce98fa33a1af2.jpg

Hopefully these picture help. These are taken from above the raised spa bond inside the pool. You can see the beam is 11" wide, then when you take into account the 2" of ledger stone tile (the ledge for the stone is shown in the second picture) the total is 13". My current coping plan is 12" wide so I'm trying to figure out how to hide that extra 1-2" that will be there once the waterline tile is installed in the spa and the ledger stone tile is installed on the outside. Hope that makes sense!

Okay here is my idea................the BLING tile inside the spa then overlapping to fill in the area the ledger stone leaves open.
It will take some skill to do but I bet it will look awesome. Can you "see" what I mean?

Kim :kim:

Thanks for the pointer Kim! I ended up deciding to do a finger ledge. I was going to avoid doing it just because I didn't quite understand how to do it, but evidently they just cut a full piece of coping and wedge it between the waterline tile and ledger tile. I think this will end up taking care of the issue, but we'll see once tile day comes!

We did narrow it down to two different tiles. I love the all blue tile but I'm afraid it might get lost with a blue plaster so I'm leaning towards the turquoise.

tile options.jpg

095e20f6ed1492ce2976fab8c4c182cc.jpg

23c6fb532d89c37da15459694bb169b1.jpg
8e020d31f523478df77aa50cd31d22c1.jpg

Back on track! Tile and coping are almost finished, gas line is in (pending inspection) and if all goes well we should start with landscaping and paver base next week. Really happy with the way everything is coming together.

Kim you'll be happy to know I think we are going with your suggestion for the spillover portion of the spa, I'm excited to see how it turns out!

They got a lot done! WOW!

You know you can put the tile on there dry to see what it will end up looking like.............I think it will be SO pretty!

So looking at what is done I have a question...........Look at your last pic on here. The spa spills over into the pool right at the corner correct? What is to stop the water from going onto the coping under it and out of the pool? Do you see what I mean?

Thanks! Great question, the plan is to put the flat edge of a piece of coping on the pool side and cantilever it far enough over the finger ledge. The prevailing wind is from the shallow end to the deep end so hopefully it won't become too big of an issue.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.