First TF100 Tests

Salt can make a difference. I had 1500ppm, from the manual. And I couldn't get the generator low enough. I called the company and they told me to get it to 1100ppm. That worked..

Y not yet adding 3/400ppm

Mine is a 24 hour circulator pump. Low dose all day. Keeps it in the 3/4 ppm range. When I use the tub, it has a boost function. Doubles the production for 24 hours. Haven't had to add anything since my last fill

What the tech explained to me is that the salt ppm has a direct relation to the sanatizer produced.

You can't go too low or too high because it might not work. My SWG has a low conductivity /high conductivity warning. But a couple ppm should be fine. Worth a shot.

I bumped it up a bit to around 2800ppm, which is a little higher than recommended, but the poolmath app is WAY off on salt calculations. I forgot last time it was about 50% of the recommended total. So im high.. we will see how that works... im about 2.50-3ppm FC right now. Ill see what happens by this evening..
Is there a way to see how much 32g per day would mean in ppm per 450g tub? Those calculations are pretty hard for my feeble brain haha

I'm not great with the calculating, but let's try and work through it

"add 0.00013 ounces per gallon to raise the chlorine by 1 ppm"

.00013 x 450 gallons = 0.0585 ounces

If you want 4 ppm

4 x 0.0585 = 0.234 ounces

.234 ounces = 6.5770894 grams

That would be for your regular maintenance.

Your SWG produces 32 grams per day? You are running it for 8 hours.
32 ÷ 3 = 10.6 grams /8 hours

Hopefully someone will correct my math if it's wrong.

But your SWG should be keeping up, even with some use

Thanks JZA... yeah I just cant imagine a scenario where something isnt wrong (could be SWG could be something nuts).
1. I tested the FC today at 5-5.5ppm. Tub hadnt been used in 36 hours, so presumably everything that needed killed, had been killed.
2. I added 1 lb of salt (to get to 2800-3000ppm to see if the SWG worked better at that number). I was going for 2600-2700, but went a little high.
3. Tonight when I tested the FC before getting in it was 1.5ppm (with NO use for the previous 42 hours or so). Could the salt have enough stuff in it that needed to be killed off by 3-4ppm of chlorine? I dont know that much about the salt (but its pool/hot tub salt).
4. Before I got in I added 3oz of chlorine to get up to 4-5ppm of FC.
5. Assuming my 30 minute soak used up 4ppm of FC (going off 7ppm per hour average) than there should be a trace amount of FC left in the morning.
6. The Pumps will run from now until about 2am, then 8am til noon or so. So there SHOULD be some chlorine that comes from the SWG.
7. I understand SWG is mainly meant to maintain a FC level (what level that is, I dont know) not just continually add non stop. For instance, if i didnt use it for a week would it keep producing and all of a sudden id end up at 15 ppm?

I just cant wrap my head around the insane amount of Chlorine im using. All my numbers are stable and dialed in. all of them.
CYA - 30
TA - 40-45
PH - 7.6
SAlt - 2800ppm
Hardness - 200

Just cant figure this chlorine situation out.

So, I just went out to test this morning... and this idiot left the cover off all night, which means the tub was at 96 degrees.
Which also means it ran longer than normal, which correlated in to much more FC than I would have expected. Which of course means, I think the SWG is in fact working

Anyway,
FC - 4.5 (I would have expected near zero)
CC - 2. Wicked high. Most its ever been before is .75. My tub doesnt get sunshine, its covered more or less. Ive shocked it to 12 a couple times. Not sure how else to get rid of the CC

just did a non chlorine shock. PH is at 6.9 and chlorine (fc) is like 9. Obviously the PH reading could be wonky because the FC is so high. But the non chlorine shock shouldnt be affecting the FC, so its quite possible that the increased Salt has kicked the SWG in to overdrive.

strange, half a day later, ph still low from that shock. FC down a bit to around 7.
So i added some baking soda to try to bring it up.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
With your high cc you should leave it open for a couple hours, if you get a sunny day. It will help burn it off. But it also says you might have something going on. Maybe the SWG is working and the fc is just getting consumed.

Keep a close eye on it.

I would lean towards the SWG is working and the FC is just getting consumed... havent used it in two days, and FC is hovering around 6-7... so perhaps I need to get to 2600ppm salinity and it will be more tuned for a stable 3-4FC.
So the problem with leaving my tub open is its more or less covered. Doesnt get any sun on it. Is there any other easy way to rid yourself of CC except a drain and refill? Which btw im at 3 months coming up in a few weeks.

So last night before i got in the FC was around 6-7.
I spent about 30-45 minutes in it.
Did not add any chlorine after the soak. Woke up this morning (now) to 4.5ppm. So Im fairly certain the SWG is working at the higher salt level, which is amazing that it matters that much.
So I can either lower the salinity and bring the FC in line with my CYA, or Up the CYA to more closely align with the increased FC from the SWG..
Good problem to have i guess.

Now the issue of getting rid of my high CC with a tub that gets no sun :(

Edit: doesnt seem like my non chlorine shock yesterday did anything at all to help the CC problem. Last time I shocked with chlorine i think i went to 12ppm, but perhaps I should have gone higher. I just love using the tub, so dont want to chlorine shock if i dont have to

So i got my CC down to .6 ish.. it was nearly clear at 2 drops, but totally clear at 3 :) .
so .5 is not terrible, .75 is getting up ther.e
Ill try to open the lid (early morning it does get a little sun) tomorrow and see if we can get it a little lower.
BTW, swg is definitely working. Got in again last night, didnt add any bleach and woke up to a couple ppm of FC... Its obviously not going to handle 2 people nightly load, but it seems like me solo nightly it can keep up fairly well.

What's funny, is mine is the reverse of yours. I had 1500ppm and had to take it down to 1100ppm. I couldn't get my FC low enough.

My next drain and fill I might even try 950ish

That info should come with the manual [emoji53]

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.