First test results. Help with raising CYA

Even if you get your FC up to 13, 14, 15, I dont think thats anywhere near so high as to start damaging things. Ive read some slams here that had to keep levels as high as 24, so I wouldnt be worried about getting too high at this point.

The FC level during the SLAM process is determined by the CYA level.
CYA of 30 ppm --> SLAM FC of 12 ppm
CYA of 60 ppm --> SLAM FC of 24 ppm
CYA of 120 ppm --> SLAM FC of 48 ppm
Chlorine binds to CYA and this is the reason why we must have higher chlorine levels at higher CYA levels. The chlorine available to sanitize is the same in each line above. The SLAM levels shown have equivalent disinfecting chlorine amounts.

Reactions: Dave_NJ
Even if you get your FC up to 13, 14, 15, I dont think thats anywhere near so high as to start damaging things. Ive read some slams here that had to keep levels as high as 24, so I wouldnt be worried about getting too high at this point.
That's pretty true but only up to a point. When you over chlorinate excessively beyond the FC/CYA chart two things begin to happen.....

1. You start to waste more and more chlorine

2. You start to move into any area where equipment damage is a possibility.

So, the SLAM value of your FC is calculated to be effective in clearing the algae yet still well within "safe" ranges. People ask often, "OK, so how high can I really go without damage?" I don't think TFP knows exactly but we do know that the FC SLAM value guidelines we have published work well. We also know that you should go right up to that SLAM value. If the guide calls for 20 ppm, go to 20......don't stop at 18.

As always, good judgement rules the day.

Ok, so I made a mistake last night, but duraleigh, you may have inadvertently answered my question and calmed my worries.

So yesterday I was introducing my Aunt to the PoolAid™. She's been having clarity troubles with her 7000 AG vinyl pool, so I came over with my handy dandy test kit and give her some aquaknowledge.

Well, when I did my final test of the night I never recalibrated my Pool math app from her pool to mine! Which meant I under shot my chlorine increase and so my FC was 7.5 this morning. (After doing the perennial mistake of using the reagant to activate CC instead of the one to measure FC,🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️, I was up late and then up too early with the kiddos, lol).

Hopefully it doesn't set me back and considering there was chlorine loss I'm hoping my happy chemical pacmans are still working hard! Lol!

The best way to learn is thru mistakes, amiright?!

But, but, but, I now have visibility to the bottom about half way down my slope to the deep end so..WOOO!

Attachments

• IMG_20200706_075053796.jpg
    IMG_20200706_075053796.jpg
    332.8 KB · Views: 69
Ok, so I made a mistake last night, but duraleigh, you may have inadvertently answered my question and calmed my worries.

So yesterday I was introducing my Aunt to the PoolAid™. She's been having clarity troubles with her 7000 AG vinyl pool, so I came over with my handy dandy test kit and give her some aquaknowledge.

Well, when I did my final test of the night I never recalibrated my Pool math app from her pool to mine! Which meant I under shot my chlorine increase and so my FC was 7.5 this morning. (After doing the perennial mistake of using the reagant to activate CC instead of the one to measure FC,🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️, I was up late and then up too early with the kiddos, lol).

Hopefully it doesn't set me back and considering there was chlorine loss I'm hoping my happy chemical pacmans are still working hard! Lol!

The best way to learn is thru mistakes, amiright?!

But, but, but, I now have visibility to the bottom about half way down my slope to the deep end so..WOOO!
Just create a new pool for her in the user menu and SWITCH between pools without disturbing.....

Reactions: LooLooPoolNoob
So I forgot to log my last test. I'm sure you all have been waiting anxiously for the results, lolol (yeah right!)

At 1230 my FC was 12.5. is it weird to not have any chlorine loss? This has happened before. It makes me worried. But I'm kind of a worry so🤷

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hey @LooLooPoolNoob u can save your test results in the PoolMath app just hit new log +
& also in the settings @ the bottom u can switch the sharing on & we can see all your data. If u hit my avatar & the poolmath log icon u can see mine too for reference to how it works.

Reactions: LooLooPoolNoob
LOOLOO,
It may be time to crack open the filter and clean the mess out regardless of the pressure gauge. It'll be nasty stuff but that will be the turning point when it will accelerate. Been there done that.
We did. OMG they were grossss. Plopped the other set of filters in while those are drying. I honestly see a difference already!

Attachments

• IMG_20200706_194851677.jpg
    IMG_20200706_194851677.jpg
    352.4 KB · Views: 69
So, my husband isn't really into the PoolAid™ and he keeps trying to put algicide in the pool because it's green. I'm just about done with day 4 of my slam and I have to keep fending him off. Told him about the copper that it can hold but, I'm kinda clueless about anything else. Spheres my questions

Why is algicide detrimental to A pool?
What issues does it create?
Am I wrong? Should we use it? Pics of day 1 of slam and today for progress.

Attachments

• IMG_20200703_141955075.jpg
    IMG_20200703_141955075.jpg
    290.9 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_20200706_194851677.jpg
    IMG_20200706_194851677.jpg
    352.4 KB · Views: 44
Has anyone here had to slam a long neglected pool? How long did it take for the process. We're half way thru day 5. Testing the water every 4 hours and upping the FC as necessary. Cleaning and swapping filters when pressure changes, cleaning the sock. I'm staying the course, but kinda feeling a bit lost today. I guess I'm getting anxious. Is this looking ok for how bad it was? Am I missing so.ething

Attachments

• IMG_20200707_131001361.jpg
    IMG_20200707_131001361.jpg
    554.4 KB · Views: 52

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.