First Pool - Jumped in feet first

SAY WHAT???? What brought this on?
The more I'm looking at it, it just seems like the right thing to do.
The old deck has a crazy slop on it and I don't know if it's gonna keep sinking. There are a few spots where the deck has sunk and it's raised the deck closest to the pool. I would hate to be sitting back there in a few years regretting not pouring a fresh pad over a proper base.

• Love
Reactions: kimkats

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You should get a core drill and put in some nicheless lights like microbrites. You will be happy you did if you want lighting... it will transform the pool at nighttime. Since the deck is gone and you are already working on some of the returns other things - this is the time to do it.
Thanks for the advise. Definitely gonna do this seeing I'm this far into this project! The possibilities are endless lol

The guy coming to do the concrete has talked me into some crazy ideas. Dark exposed aggregate around the pool with some glow in the dark pebbles stones mixed it and then doing the stamped concrete for the portion going up to the house. All one pour. Seeing the whole pool will have a channel drain around it, I think it will actually look pretty cool with the seperation.

All gone!
What did you do with it? How many trips did it take to where ever it went?
The possibilities are endless lol
That is FOR sure now!!!
Dark exposed aggregate around the pool with some glow in the dark pebbles stones mixed it
How exposed with the aggregate be? Think about how often people sit on the edge of the pool. How will this feel on their bottom? Will it be small and VERY smooth aggregate? How dark? It will look neat but I want you to have a conversation with your concrete guy to make sure it will also have good function.
Seeing the whole pool will have a channel drain around it, I think it will actually look pretty cool with the separation.
Where will the channel drain be? I am guessing between the two colors.

I LOVE when the coping is different than the main decking. To me it really highlights the pool. I can't wait to see his vision in action. Just make sure it has good function at the same time as being oh so pretty!

What did you do with it? How many trips did it take to where ever it went?
I borrowed a dump truck and dropped a load off at a free drop off site. It was an hour there and an hour back. Didn't make sense so I ended up renting a 5 yard bin for the rest. $300 for the bin and another $380 for a skid steer rental.

That is FOR sure now!!!

How exposed with the aggregate be? Think about how often people sit on the edge of the pool. How will this feel on their bottom? Will it be small and VERY smooth aggregate? How dark? It will look neat but I want you to have a conversation with your concrete guy to make sure it will also have good function.
The edge of the pool will have a bullnose coping 12" wide. The exposed aggregate will just be the perimeter of the pool, approx 3 feet wide, minus the 1 foot coping.
Where will the channel drain be? I am guessing between the two colors.
Yes
I LOVE when the coping is different than the main decking. To me it really highlights the pool. I can't wait to see his vision in action. Just make sure it has good function at the same time as being oh so pretty!
👍

Our pool had 30 yr old exposed aggregate when we bought the house…and it was super painful to walk on barefoot. Over the years we think a lot of the binder material washed away and left a million sharp pebbles to press into the soles of the feet. We replaced it with stamped concrete a few years ago.

Maybe theres a way to do it so comfort isn’t an issue but its something to consider. talk to your concrete guy about it.

I've been sick the past week and had to put things on hold, but back at it!
Had to speed the process up. Rented a 100lb pot sand blaster and sand blasted all the paint off the walls where the tile and coping will be.
Also bought a couple microbrites!
Core drilling tomorrow to run the lights!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220520-220854_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20220520-220854_Photos.jpg
    201.7 KB · Views: 39
  • Screenshot_20220520-220847_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20220520-220847_Photos.jpg
    211.2 KB · Views: 39
  • Screenshot_20220520-220842_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20220520-220842_Photos.jpg
    198.7 KB · Views: 39
I've been sick the past week and had to put things on hold, but back at it!
Had to speed the process up. Rented a 100lb pot sand blaster and sand blasted all the paint off the walls where the tile and coping will be.
Also bought a couple microbrites!
Core drilling tomorrow to run the lights!
Are you doing all this work yourself? Amazing effort so far and hope you feel better soon. This would cost tens of thousands of dollars to contract out - it will look amazing when you are finished. What are you doing with the interior of the pool?

Are you doing all this work yourself? Amazing effort so far and hope you feel better soon. This would cost tens of thousands of dollars to contract out - it will look amazing when you are finished. What are you doing with the interior of the pool?
For the most part everything is being done by myself. My brother in law has a concrete business so he will have a crew coming in to finish the concrete. Electrical work is also being done by a family member.
For the inside of the pool:
This year, 1 foot waterline tile and paint. Once the paint needs to be replaced, in gonna sand blast the inside and probably go with marblite or tiles. Still up in the air.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.