Filter pressure oddity

Texasnative

Nov 28, 2020
Texas
Hi all. A little history first. Back up a few weeks and we had a filtering issue that was noticed during a backwash and DE was immediately coming out of the jets when putting new powder in. Tore down the filter, no tears in the grids, seals and manifold look good. Clean and put it back together and things looked great for a week. About a week ago I noticed pressures are varying by around 10 PSI with no rhyme or reason. Come out today and pressure is up about 12 PSI and noticed the filter basket isn’t completely full. Not empty but definitely not filled like normal. Start/stop the filter, prime it but still the same result. Put the pool in spa mode and have the same results. No obvious air leaks and unless something is clogged after the jandy valve I don’t see how I’d get the same results with pool/spa mode. Could the filter getting really dirty be causing this already?

Didn’t get a chance to edit before you replied. Yes we had an algae issue that was also indicative of the filter problem. That was resolved and we backwashed the next week. Algae is good now but I’m wondering if the residual algae that got sucked up got the filter dirty again. Also worth noting I switched between the skimmer/main drains with no noticeable difference.

What is your VS pump set to?

What is your clean filter pressure..

What was the filter pressure when it varied?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
What test kit are you using?

Post a full set of current test results from one of the recommended test kits. Test Kits Compared

FC
CC
pH
TA
CH
CYA
Water Temperature

Fill out your signature with your pool and pool equipment specs - including test kit.

Chances are you have a continuing chemistry issue - even if you have "clear" water.

VS is at 3450 for 9 hours. Clean pressure is 19-20 and varied from 25-32.

There should be no reason to run a VS pump that fast. You should run it around 2500 rpm max.

When your filter pressure rises by 25% from clean pressure you should backwash. With clean pressure of 20 you need to backwash when pressure gets above 25-28.

What test kit are you using?

Post a full set of current test results from one of the recommended test kits. Test Kits Compared

FC
CC
pH
TA
CH
CYA
Water Temperature

Fill out your signature with your pool and pool equipment specs - including test kit.

Chances are you have a continuing chemistry issue - even if you have "clear" water.
Odd, I had a signature with everything in it at one point. I’ll have to figure out how to get it all back.

There should be no reason to run a VS pump that fast. You should run it around 2500 rpm max.

When your filter pressure rises by 25% from clean pressure you should backwash. With clean pressure of 20 you need to backwash when pressure gets above 25-28.
I inherited this pool from the previous owners along with the settings on the pool. That’s what they had. We have 50k gallons to move and using the jandy calculator that was pretty close on 8-9 hours of run to get one turn over. Curious on why not to run it that high? (Mainly because I just don’t know, not arguing with you)

Turnover is a myth and does not contribute to pool sanitation or cleaning. You need to run your pump at a speed for your SWG or heater and long enough for your skimming. Running it faster then needed is inefficient and wastes energy. Depending on the size pipes you have the flow at 3400 rpm may be more then what your pipes, filter, or heater are designed to handle.

High RPMs gives you unnecessarily high filter pressure.

How do you chlorinate the pool?

Turnover is a myth and does not contribute to pool sanitation or cleaning. You need to run your pump at a speed for your SWG or heater and long enough for your skimming. Running it faster then needed is inefficient and wastes energy. Depending on the size pipes you have the flow at 3400 rpm may be more then what your pipes, filter, or heater are designed to handle.

Auto chlorinated w/ tablets. We have two inch pipes on the pumps if that matters. Jandy 60 DE filter.

Auto chlorinated w/ tablets. We have two inch pipes on the pumps if that matters. Jandy 60 DE filter

TexasNative,
Still waiting on your signature and water testing methods. Coming here assumes your looking for help/advice and we can spoon feed pretty well. You need to get back with answers for us to help but I can tell you those chlorinating pucks are doing you in.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.