Filter pressure in pool vs spa

Kiki Couv

Apr 25, 2020
Dallas, TX
Hello, I have an inground pool with an associated spa. I am wondering if anyone has ever experienced the filter pressure tripling when the spa is isolated?
This is a new issue so I thought I needed to backwash my system. After doing so, when I open all valves (pool and spa) or isolate the pool the filter pressure is in the clean range. However if I close all the pool valves and send all the water to the spa the filter pressure triples and the gauge goes from reading 10 PSIs to 30 PSIs. That is well pass the clean filter indicator.
My filter type is DE. Pool type is chlorine.
Any ideas, advice or help is appreciated. Thanks

Welcome to TFP.

Do you have adjustable spa jets? Are all spa jets open? Has anyone touched the spa jets?

Post pics of your equipment, valves, spa, and jets so we can see your situation.

Hi thank you for replying. I have attached some pictures. The first pic shows the spa inlets
The subsequent pictures is how I typically have the valves; spa closed and pool inlets, skimmer and main drain open and the filter pressure.
I then show the valves again with the pool closed off meaning pool inlets, skimmer and pool main drain closed and only the spa inlets and spa main drain open and the resulting filter pressure. When the spa is isolated the inlets are pushing out water I provided that pic as well but the filter pressure spikes which concerns me. Any help on why is much appreciated. Thanks

Attachments

• BA463D00-403F-4303-AF54-B7D642A2269A.jpeg
    BA463D00-403F-4303-AF54-B7D642A2269A.jpeg
    449.9 KB · Views: 4
  • 4E78F030-68D5-4F70-9BBC-B8A7C87C646D.jpeg
    4E78F030-68D5-4F70-9BBC-B8A7C87C646D.jpeg
    522.3 KB · Views: 4
  • 10BCEA72-066D-437D-A0D3-3046930A7B50.jpeg
    10BCEA72-066D-437D-A0D3-3046930A7B50.jpeg
    167.2 KB · Views: 4
  • FE9F1624-EB57-45C3-9754-2E1176B42306.jpeg
    FE9F1624-EB57-45C3-9754-2E1176B42306.jpeg
    206 KB · Views: 4
  • DE06FFAC-BF68-49FC-940D-DFE4F9DA92E2.jpeg
    DE06FFAC-BF68-49FC-940D-DFE4F9DA92E2.jpeg
    604.5 KB · Views: 4
  • 963C5E60-11D3-4FCE-ABD9-C879F3C5E9BA.jpeg
    963C5E60-11D3-4FCE-ABD9-C879F3C5E9BA.jpeg
    658.6 KB · Views: 4
Overhead views of the valves does not let me see how the valves are set. And unless you label the valves I cannot easily figure out what valve goes to what from the pictures.

Have you changed your pump?

The more information you give us about your pool and equipment the more likely we can help you through the screen Please create your signature with details of your pool and equipment.

KiKi,

When was the last time you opened and cleaned your DE filter?

The little clean arrow is basically useless, so I would not use that as any indicator.

The pressure should go up some when in the spa mode.. Triple sounds high to me.

Thanks,

Jim R.

KiKi,

When was the last time you opened and cleaned your DE filter?

The little clean arrow is basically useless, so I would not use that as any indicator.

The pressure should go up some when in the spa mode.. Triple sounds high to me.

Thanks,

Jim R.
Hi I backwashed the filter in late March. The pressure is much lower with the pool valves open but when I isolate the spa it jumps up. This is a new issue bc I use to be able to isolate the spa with no change in filter pressure. Thanks

Kiki,

I'm just trying to think of logical things that "might" be the cause of the problem.. Your question makes perfect sense, and I am not sure why, but something is causing your spa pressure to be high.. I was just thinking the maybe a dirty filter might just be making a problem seem worse than it was.

If all the spa jets clogged up, that might cause the same issue, but what would cause that?

If possible I like to rule out the simple before trying to make things too complex.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Totally makes sense. I late January the filter was taken apart to check an issue and this is what the grids looked like. The pool tech didn’t think they needed to be cleaned at that time. In mid March I did the backwash and added more DE. I’m no expert on how much covering the grids need so I could made need to clean them now.

Attachments

• CEDAC90E-9A0C-4DE4-B2CA-FBBF6331934C.jpeg
    CEDAC90E-9A0C-4DE4-B2CA-FBBF6331934C.jpeg
    71.5 KB · Views: 5
kiki,

That is how my grids look after six months and no back-washing at all..

I assume the tech meant that the grids did not need to be replaced, because there is no doubt they need to be cleaned. I also assume tech cleaned them by hosing them down, before he reassembled the filter.. Otherwise you need to find a new pool guy. :mrgreen: If the grids were cleaned in January and you back-washed last month, then the filter is looking less likely to be the problem.

How much DE did you add after you back-washed?

What do the spa jets feel like compared to the last time you used the spa? Are they weak?

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.