Filter or issue possibly

Eguzman5564

May 28, 2023
ROME GA
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hey guys so I noticed yesterday my pressure gauge on my filter was reading zero as to when I first got it replaced it was reading at 15-20. Then I checked the returns (jets) and noticed the one on the shallow end isnt working at all but the deep end is. I have no idea where to start to fix the problem. Not sure if the gauge not working and return are associated. Need some guidance before having to ask a professional for help who will overcharge and be busy for weeks.

You may have a couple issues happening at once. It is possible the pressure gauge went bad over the winter, especially if it was not removed ahead of time.

But that shouldn't effect the flow of water at the return jets. When water flow diminishes, we look at a full set of water test results to help tell us if algae in a contributing factor. Are you able to post a full set of test results?

This is also an example of why your signature is so important, so be sure to add all of your pool and equipment in there. It helps with replies.

What kind of filter do you have?

You likely have a filter that is full and needs to be backwashed or cleaned.

Filter issues like this is usually chemistry, not a filter problem and you may have algae, even if you can't see it.

You may have a couple issues happening at once. It is possible the pressure gauge went bad over the winter, especially if it was not removed ahead of time.

But that shouldn't effect the flow of water at the return jets. When water flow diminishes, we look at a full set of water test results to help tell us if algae in a contributing factor. Are you able to post a full set of test results?

This is also an example of why your signature is so important, so be sure to add all of your pool and equipment in there. It helps with replies.
I Just got the pressure gauge a couple days ago but I guess its always possible it could have messed up already. When I get on break I will post what my pool looks like now. I was currently cleaning it from a green pool so algae could definitely be the problem although I don't see green in the pool anymore and I have had my Dolphin running as much as possible. Could there be a blockage of algae somewhere? I added to my signature what all I know. I will add pictures when I get home. Thank you advance I am basically trying to do everything on my own so anything helps.

Backwash your sand filter. Note filter pressure. When you filter pressure rises 25%, backwash again.

To clear the pool, you need to do the following:
1) Order a test kit today. Link-->Test Kits Compared
2) Keep filtering and backwashing
3) Add 3ppm of liquid chlorine per day until the test kit arrives, and don't add anything else.
4) Post results from your test kit when it arrives and we'll clean that pool up...

Proof...Link-->How Clear is TFP Clear?

Last edited:
Backwash your sand filter. Note filter pressure. When you filter pressure rises 25%, backwash again.

To clear the pool, you need to do the following:
1) Order a test kit today. Link-->Test Kits Compared
2) Keep filtering and backwashing
3) Add 3ppm of liquid chlorine per day until the test kit arrives, and don't add anything else.
4) Post results from your test kit when it arrives and we'll clean that pool up...

Proof...Link-->How Clear is TFP Clear?
Even when I backwashed the pressure stayed at 0, It wont move at all, tried tapping it and didn't budge. I can do that once I fix my returns because I don't have good water flow on the shallow end with it not working. Right now only the deep end is working. Any clue why it wouldnt be blowing water out?

Even when I backwashed the pressure stayed at 0, It wont move at all, tried tapping it and didn't budge. I can do that once I fix my returns because I don't have good water flow on the shallow end with it not working. Right now only the deep end is working. Any clue why it wouldnt be blowing water out?
Replace the gauge. You can't properly use a filter without one.

Low flow on a return is typically a dirty filter. When my filter is dirty, the far return will flow VERY little water and the near return flows fine. How long are you running the backwash? Do you have a site gauge on the filter?

E,

When a pump runs dry they generally do not get hot. When a pump runs and the water can't get out of the pump, then the water gets very hot and steams. This can case the pump plastic to actually deform.

Show us some pics of your equipment pad so we can get a better idea what you have.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Maybe an air leak or blockage.

Is the pump basket deformed?

If yes, the fittings going into and out of the pump are probably deformed and shrank, so they will need to be redone.

689BF394-D10C-422A-A7FE-55B79E59628A.jpeg

Hey guys I went out to check on my pool and noticed the pump was really hot and when we opened up the side with water it was steaming hot. Not sure what’s going on. Any suggestio
E,

When a pump runs dry they generally do not get hot. When a pump runs and the water can't get out of the pump, then the water gets very hot and steams. This can case the pump plastic to actually deform.

Show us some pics of your equipment pad so we can get a better idea what you have.

Thanks,

Jim R.
yeah I think the water normally drained and this time it didn’t and was steaming. The basket and pipes looked fine I did not see and deforming. I added a pic on my page I believe. It keeps saying my pic is too large to post on a reply.

E,

I had a couple of those pumps years ago and was never really happy with the square "O-Ring" under the lid. :(

I suggest that you open the lid, take the square-ring out and inspect it. If ok, then lube it and put it back in and try it again.

When is the last time you backwashed your sand filter?

Thanks,

Jim R.

E,

I had a couple of those pumps years ago and was never really happy with the square "O-Ring" under the lid. :(

I suggest that you open the lid, take the square-ring out and inspect it. If ok, then lube it and put it back in and try it again.

When is the last time you backwashed your sand filter?

Thanks,

Jim R.
I have backwashed it at least everyday. I know my filter needs to be cleaned and needs new sand I’m just waiting on someone to come help me do that. The return on the shallow end also isn’t working and the one on the deep end is mostly blowing bubbles.

"5564", I'm curious, did you close the pool over the winter? Do you have a lot of trees nearby? I'm wondering if there is any chance something might have gotten sucked into the skimmer suction line and created a blockage. It doesn't take much to restrict water flow. So if you have inspected/lubed the pump (clear lid) O-ring seal, then you might try pushing water backwards. To do that, turn off the pump, open the lid, and insert a garden hose as much as you can into the inlet hole where water enters. Wrap a rag around the hose as you hold it in place to seal the area, then turn on the garden hose to push water "backwards" towards the pool skimmer. Perhaps there's a small acorn or something blocking water flow.

Also make sure your skimmer weir door is operating properly and not getting stuck.

Another test you could try after all of this ........ get a bucket and fill the pump pot with water to the top, close the clear lid, and turn on the pump. Watch to see if that water gets sucked out towards the filter (it should).

"5564", I'm curious, did you close the pool over the winter? Do you have a lot of trees nearby? I'm wondering if there is any chance something might have gotten sucked into the skimmer suction line and created a blockage. It doesn't take much to restrict water flow. So if you have inspected/lubed the pump (clear lid) O-ring seal, then you might try pushing water backwards. To do that, turn off the pump, open the lid, and insert a garden hose as much as you can into the inlet hole where water enters. Wrap a rag around the hose as you hold it in place to seal the area, then turn on the garden hose to push water "backwards" towards the pool skimmer. Perhaps there's a small acorn or something blocking water flow.

Also make sure your skimmer weir door is operating properly and not getting stuck.

Another test you could try after all of this ........ get a bucket and fill the pump pot with water to the top, close the clear lid, and turn on the pump. Watch to see if that water gets sucked out towards the filter (it should).
I just got my liner installed this year so it was filled about a month ago but turned green because a pipe broke. There is a pine tree close by but we clean the top of the pool everyday. Yesterday we tried putting a shop vac through that hole to see if we could suck the blockage out but no luck. I will try with the hose today and see if that helps. We also tried filling the pump basket with water and it’s not draining like it should.

Reactions: Texas Splash

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.