Filter causing cloudiness?

ka8yiu

Gold Supporter
Aug 11, 2016
SW FL
I have been using TFP since buying my house with an in-ground pool four years ago. I check my chem levels several times a week using the TF-100, and have since week 1.

I have to replace my filter cartridge twice a year. The last three times, immediately after inserting a new cartridge, my pool gets cloudy. When I remove and spray off the cartridge, it looks like skim milk washing from it. The cartridge ends also feel a little oily. Only after doing this four or five days in a row does it start to clear up.

I have been using nothing but Pleatco PA90 filters. The last few I got via Amazon.

I know this sounds crazy, but could the new filters be causing this? Are they cheap Chinese counterfeits? Thoughts? Recommendations on another brand that works, but is also cost effective?

Kevin

Last edited:
Sounds odd. One, I am not sure I understand replacing filter cartridges so often. I have had the same ones for 6 years, and see no need to replace them. I clean them once a year.

It sounds like a possible form of algae or bacteria. If you could post some test results that would be a good place to start. Run an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test

I know it sounds odd, but the common denominator is the new filters.

Mine need replaced every six month or so. I get a lot of dirt and grit blown in. (I have pavers in my lanai area. That, dirt collecting in the pool cage screening and my wife's plants cause a lot of dirt in my pool. Every spring I get an influx of gnats or similar bugs collect in the pool screening and fall in the water in the late afternoon. If I don't change the cartridge every spring and fall, I start getting priming and pressure issues, especially when my heat pump is needed as the flow switch will not activate unless I run at higher RPM's.)

I know I do not have algae, but I will get some fresh results to post.

You can't just clean the filter cartridges? Takes a few minutes with a water hose.

I cannot see how a new filter cartridge would cause that. Sounds chemistry related to me.

Yes, I do clean my filter cartridge, quite often (as in every month if not more often). But, how a paper cartridge can be expected to last for years boggles my mind. We get a lot of pollen in SWFL. With that and the other reasons posted before, it eventually will not clean sufficiently to keep the pressure down and affects the priming of the pump. So yes, I change my paper cartridge twice a year. But the last three cartridges have had an immediate effect of clouding my pool.

I just did a full round of tests and will repeat tonight and first thing in the morning for comparison. I will bring them here then. The numbers were all in line with TFP method, and where I maintain them (and have since joining here).

I would suggest you look into using skimmer socks. Some folks here use hairnets they buy via Amazon. Keeps alot of the stuff from reaching the filter.

The pollen is a possibility. But usually I see some clinging to parts of the pool when it is high. Right now, we are and have been at moderate, so to me seems unlikely.

Test results show no algae:

4/18, 3:40 PM
FC 6
CC 0
pH 7.5
CH 300
CYA 40

4/18 7:30 PM
FC 11 ( I added my daily dose, and was a little heavy. Must have thought I was mixing a vodka drink.)
CC 0

4/19 8:00 AM
FC 10.5 (Ran test 3 times)
CC 0

Since I have to clean the filter everyday, I am going to do a SLAM anyway to be safe. I still do not understand the coincidence of new filter cartridges three times in a row doing the same thing.

The hairnets are not available. The Amazon listing said they were prioritized for Covid-19 response. So I did order some socks since pollen is coming soon. Maybe I can get a year on a cartridge with them.

Tnx.

• Wow
Reactions: markayash
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.