Filling up pool for the 1st time

I read from the article “Clarifier: Further Reading” in tfp, it mentioned that “fire ash, dust storms or construction debris getting into the water.”

Over here at my housing area, people do open burning to burn off tree branches/leafs occasionally. But there was a fire incident happened on 24 Oct, where a building was burnt down and is very near to my house. The following pic was taken from my bedroom. I suppose this also contributed to my pool water cloudiness, assuming no algae in my pool.
E65E43E0-B728-4321-862F-BA2D4D6C6C74.jpeg

OK, good work. Algae is much less of a suspect. So it’s back to solving the filter issue. If that doesn’t pan out, because you’re confident you have the filter working correctly, you could always do a SLAM just to rule out algae. It won’t hurt anything.

Thanks @Dirk for all your advice! Really appreciated it!

Looking at the FC level for SLAM, I supposed that is not possible to be done without liquid chlorine, as using Trichlor to achieve SLAM FC level will not work due to the addition of CYA at the same time.

Pool stores here only sell trichlor, no liquid chlorine, no cyanuric acid. In actual fact, we don’t really have pool stores here, the so call pool stores I mentioned are actually specialize store dealing with water pump and water treatment equipment.

I am really having a hard time maintaining the pool FC/CYA with Trichlor :LOL:. And my SWG is really under utilize as it takes time to build up my CYA level using trichlor for SWG (pool store here don’t sell cyanuric acid) but a heavy down pour will ruin my CYA level.

What I plan to do now is to let the dust/dirt to settle for a week and vacuum to waste again. I have also added more filter media to my filter and hopefully this will too.🤞

You don't need CYA in the water to benefit from the SWG. The SWG will still chlorinate your pool just fine, but the chlorine will dissipate more quickly without the CYA. Crank the SWG on and up now, before you get a serious algae outbreak. I wouldn't even know what to suggest to SLAM a pool without chlorine.

Do your grocery stores have regular ol' bleach? Like you'd use for laundry? If so, as long as it doesn't have any additives (like splashless, etc), it's perfectly fine for a pool. Typical laundry bleach is sodium hypochlorite, the exact same stuff as pool chlorine. So just check the ingredients.

I would not recommend turning off your pump and SWG for a week. If you can get bleach, then you'd only need to run the pump of an hour or so to mix it in. Then let it settle for 23 hours and then vacuum it. Then check and adjust the FC with the bleach, and repeat as need to clear the bottom of the dirt. If you can't even get bleach, then run the pump just enough to keep the FC up with the SWG, then turn everything off, let if settle, then vac. Repeat.

You can't SLAM with pucks.

I'm just saying, do what you have to do to keep the FC at target level, and deal with the floor dirt as best you can. Eventually you'll get it.

I have checked all the available laundry bleach selling here, all are with additives, even the one from Clorox.

I will still have my pump running with Trichlor dispenser to maintain the FC level but will not be swimming in the pool for a week to allow the dust/dirt to settle.

Actually, compare with last weekend, the pool water condition is much better now after I vacuum to waste dust/dirt settle on the floor yesterday. Hopefully by going through this same cycle a few rounds will be able to solve the cloudy problem.

Reactions: Dirk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
This IS the time to add the DE to the sand. Make sure you can be there to babysit the filter when you add it the first time as each filter is so different. Some want this amount and some only want that around. Add 1/4 cup at a time. Look for an increase in the PSI on the gauge. Be ready to back wash if the pressure goes up too much.

@kimkats, something you said. When you do a normal backwash (for cleaning) of a "DE enhanced" sand filter, do you lose all the DE? Requiring you to replace the DE each time you clean your filter?

@ellislo I would start with 1/4 cup to start with. I am not kidding when I say each filter acts very different. I know of one filter that liked over a cup of DE and another that only liked 1/2 cup!

Add the 1/4 cup of DE and let the filter run for about 15 mins. Did you get a psi rise on your gauge? If not then add another 1/4 cup. Keep doing this until you get a 1 psi rise on your gauge. After a while you will learn what YOU filter likes.

IF your psi shots up past 3 psi rise then do a short backwash to get rid of some of the DE.

Yes doing a backwash will mean you need to add some DE back to the filter. Again listen to your filter as it might not need as much this time as some of the old DE might still be in the sand.

Good luck!

Kim:kim:

Reactions: ellislo and Dirk
@kimkats, got any suggestions on what could substitute for DE in Malaysia? Or possibly some other type of store or business that might sell some, other than a pool store?

DE is not a have to have thing. It is something that will speed up the clearing. If you cannot find any that is okay. Just keeping doing what you are doing and it will be TFP with time. The DE would speed it up some but not worth too much money or effort if it is that hard to find.

Reactions: ellislo

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.