Fiberglass Build help

jimim

Bronze Supporter
Jun 20, 2016
NE/Pa
Hey all! Long time, not first time. . . lol

Not for me this time. I am done! like totally done!

anyway. . . I have a friend who finally got their glass shell. it's going in when we thaw out up here. so what i'm looking is:

1. best practice for installing the glass shell. i now all the equipment and lines. all I care about is the construction to make sure the shell goes in properly.
2. best practice for chemical care. she will be taught by me on our methods here. i'm getting her the kit as a gift. it will be salt. i just want to make sure we follow weekly and daily checks. i don't know if CH matter for glass. I don't know if she is running different levels for glass vs my plaster.
3. best practice for break in for glass pool.

anything else i'm worrying about for now?

equipment is all hayward. lines are all sized properly. 1 skimmer cause it is not a large pool. i tried for 2 but it didn't go over well wit the builder the guess. i'll get dimensions and gallons from her and i'll post back.

i'm bored so i figured i would help her out. lol
thanks!
jim

Jim, to some of your questions:
1 - If this is being installed for you (or her), the installer should follow the FG pool manufacture's specific instructions for base prep, leveling, setting, lock-in, and backfill. If you are doing this as a DIY, you can still obtain many installation manuals online from the various manufactures.
2 - TFP. Follow our recommended levels, chemicals, etc and use a trust TF-100 (or Taylor K-2006C) test kit and all will be fine.
3 - There is no break-in period. Fill, balance, and jump in.

Final thought - Base prep and level is everything. Be sure to watch that carefully.

Not for me this time. I am done! like totally done!
Woo woo !!!!
1. best practice for installing the glass shell.
@jimmythegreek is your guy here. Prep.is everything. A level Uber compacted base is key and takes some love.
. i don't know if CH matter for glass
Nope. Barely at all. Just need a little. (50-150 is fine) CSI is all but irrelevant also with no scaling present. Fiberglass and vinyl are like using easy mode here for the most part.

Just remember that Salt and CYA don't easily come out. Always test first in case stuff was added by the PB when she wasn't home. Then with an accurate baseline, undershoot the target and creep up to it.

hey guys. builder built pool. i know he should follow guidelines but i want to know what to look for so i can watch him. you know what i mean.

so for balancing. just use the typical sheets for non plaster salt pool and balance according to that?

can salt go right in from the fill? or is their a wait period? follow same salt level recommendations 2800-3600? I try to keep my plaster salt level at 3000 cause it keep my pentair happy.

csi: keep it on the negative side to keep scale down on generator just like i do for my plaster now? but deff not on positive side cause of scale?

How is fill water. With high metals it's probably best to let the PB handle it for startup, even though it will likely involve half a truckload of magic mystery potions. But if the PB has cleaned up local water a few hundred times, he's probably better at it than you guys.

If the fill water is good, ask for a chemical credit and apply it to your own purchases. Handle per the usual. FC and CYA immediately, get the CH about 100 and manage PH over time to lower the TA.

You'll want to balance before the salt. All those sodium something something adds may through off your baseline and you can overshoot it. One member this spring had 600ppm salt just from startup.

So balance it, test the salt and fire away.

No waiting period for salt :)
A little Calcium is okay (may be fill water is enough in your area, I dunno?)
Gravel base only- no sand for base or fill.
Pool only gets filled up to level of backfill. It often in steps till completely plumbed and such.

Maddie :flower:

Awesome.
Not sure about fill water yet. I’ll figure that out when they are putting the pool in.
I remember my salt level was 800 before I added my salt using the approved salt kit here.

hey guys. builder built pool. i know he should follow guidelines but i want to know what to look for so i can watch him. you know what i mean.
I can say from experience you will have a hard time changing the way they do it, especially once the equipment and materials are on site - which is why it's so critical to choose a builder that specializes in fiberglass. They are kind of set in their ways and no pesky homeowner is going to tell them what is best, no matter what the manual says. You can talk with them pre-build and let them know what you expect, but unless it is in writing I wouldn't count on it.

Here is a good read of a pool build where the homeowner did not like what they saw, and what it took to correct:

Fiberglass Pool Install

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I can say from experience you will have a hard time changing the way they do it, especially once the equipment and materials are on site - which is why it's so critical to choose a builder that specializes in fiberglass. They are kind of set in their ways and no pesky homeowner is going to tell them what is best, no matter what the manual says. You can talk with them pre-build and let them know what you expect, but unless it is in writing I wouldn't count on it.

Here is a good read of a pool build where the homeowner did not like what they saw, and what it took to correct:

Fiberglass Pool Install
I'm not talking material. I'm not talking how all plumbing and electrical will be done. I know all that. old hash. all I'm concerned with is how the physical shell is installed. what best practice is. I never saw one go in.

I know how builders are. my builder and all that did my job were either family or friends. I get the whole home owner contractor thing. I live it everyday.

I'm not talking material. I'm not talking how all plumbing and electrical will be done. I know all that. old hash. all I'm concerned with is how the physical shell is installed. what best practice is. I never saw one go in.

I know how builders are. my builder and all that did my job were either family or friends. I get the whole home owner contractor thing. I live it everyday.
I was referring to how the shell goes in.

Have a look-see @Casey thread. They hit some snags not being level (among other things) and really took some care getting it right.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.