mmardini

Jul 21, 2020
Palm Springs, ca
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I bought a test kit from leslies prior to finding this site which is essentially the same I’ve been told of the Taylor k2005 test kit. I have come to understand from this site that the kit is fine except it’s missing the FAS-DPD test. Is this kit that I found on Amazon the same test? Also, what will this test tell me that the chlorine test doesn’t already tell me? Thank you all!

Attachments

mknauss

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Bronze Supporter
May 3, 2014
Laughlin, NV
That is the FAS-DPD test kit.
What you have now is a color comparison test for FC/CC. It is good to test FC to 10 ppm if you can tell the colors apart.
The FAS-DPD test is a color change from pink to clear so no guessing. And is good to 50 ppm FC.

Jimrahbe

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 7, 2014
Bedford, TX
M,

The FAS-DPD test is much more accurate than the color match test.. It also lets you test to a much higher FC level..

The test you show should work just fine..

Thanks,

Jim R.

HermanTX

Gold Supporter
May 20, 2020
Katy TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
The K-2005 uses a comparator that has 6 levels of Chlorine - 1, 2, 3, 5, 7.5 and 10. You need to distinguish the colors to determine what level of chlorine. With the FAS-DPD test you count drops into solution until it turns to clear and you then have a specific chlorine level - not a rationale of color match. Plus the FAS-DPD test can test to much higher chlorine levels.

mguzzy

Gold Supporter
Jul 8, 2015
OV, CA
Don't ya just love this site? One guy asks a question and three people chime in with the same answer.. more or less. So I'll say something different. Check out this site:
Same test with more R-00871 reagent that you will go through faster. for about the same price. Also, does the Amazon say what the expiration date is on the reagents? prolly not, Its always a crab shoot as to whether you are getting fresh reagents from them. That's what I like about the TFTK stuff.

Reactions: Mdragger88

mmardini

Jul 21, 2020
Palm Springs, ca
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Don't ya just love this site? One guy asks a question and three people chime in with the same answer.. more or less. So I'll say something different. Check out this site:
Same test with more R-00871 reagent that you will go through faster. for about the same price. Also, does the Amazon say what the expiration date is on the reagents? prolly not, Its always a crab shoot as to whether you are getting fresh reagents from them. That's what I like about the TFTK stuff.
I’m pretty much obsessed with this site now haha. My husband calls me a pool nerd but I don’t care! Such nice and helpful people here!

I will look into that kit thank you

mmardini

Jul 21, 2020
Palm Springs, ca
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Do you know how much reagent that kit comes with? They are practically the same price, except the Amazon one comes with a carrying case and I have a gift card to Amazon, however I love this website and would like to support, especially if it comes with more reagents.

I guess I could always buy a box from the dollar store if I go with this one!

Rocket J Squirrel

Silver Supporter
Bronze Supporter
Jun 7, 2018
Alamo, CA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I’m pretty much obsessed with this site now haha. My husband calls me a pool nerd but I don’t care!
We're all pool nerds here. Perhaps we should hold meetings. "Hi, my name is Rocket and I'm a pool nerd." "Hi, Rocket!"
I guess I could always buy a box from the dollar store if I go with this one!
I went the same path as you, getting the Leslie's branded K2005 before learning of the FAS-DPD test. I bought an empty TF-100 case from TFTestKits (plus a SpeedStir) and everything fits if I squeeze them all in. (Spare reagents don't fit, but I have a place for those.) Others have bought tackle boxes & similar, which have even more capacity.

mmardini

Jul 21, 2020
Palm Springs, ca
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
We're all pool nerds here. Perhaps we should hold meetings. "Hi, my name is Rocket and I'm a pool nerd." "Hi, Rocket!"

I went the same path as you, getting the Leslie's branded K2005 before learning of the FAS-DPD test. I bought an empty TF-100 case from TFTestKits (plus a SpeedStir) and everything fits if I squeeze them all in. (Spare reagents don't fit, but I have a place for those.) Others have bought tackle boxes & similar, which have even more capacity.
TFT kit it is. Anyone can buy a box. And there’s plenty of other things to buy on Amazon with my gift card!

Reactions: Mdragger88

mguzzy

Gold Supporter
Jul 8, 2015
OV, CA
The K1515A comes with
R-00870 DPD powder and scoop
.75 oz of R-00871
.75 oz of R-0003
a test vial and case

the TFTK FAS/DPD test comes with
2 oz of R-00871
.75 oz of R-0003
a test vial and no case

I got individual cases for some of the separate tests.. I ended up putting them in another box that would hold everything.
There a few threads of people posting their own testkit cases... like this one!

Last edited:
Reactions: mmardini

mmardini

Jul 21, 2020
Palm Springs, ca
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
The K1515A comes with
.75 oz of R-00871
.75 oz of R-0003
a test vial and case

the TFTK FAS/DPD test comes with
2 oz of R-00871
.75 oz of R-0003
a test vial and no case

I got individual cases for some of the separate tests.. I ended up putting them in another box that would hold everything.
Thank you! I ended up ordering the TFT kit. I’d be lost without this website!

Katodude

Silver Supporter
Aug 22, 2017
West Palm Beach/Florida
Hi Rocket, I just got my 2 year pool nerd chip.

I just ordered my second refill kit for the year. I bought a cheap tackle box for my tests. I think use all the spare stuff to make a second kit for a friend that has a pool problem, but has not hit rock bottom yet.

mmardini

Jul 21, 2020
Palm Springs, ca
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Just wanted to say I received my kit yesterday and tried it today and this test blew my mind! No more staring at colors and saying is it a 2??? A 3??? Makes my life so much easier wish I purchased it earlier!! Thank you TFP!