mmardini

Jul 21, 2020
Palm Springs, ca
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I bought a test kit from leslies prior to finding this site which is essentially the same I’ve been told of the Taylor k2005 test kit. I have come to understand from this site that the kit is fine except it’s missing the FAS-DPD test. Is this kit that I found on Amazon the same test? Also, what will this test tell me that the chlorine test doesn’t already tell me? Thank you all!

Attachments

• 5FCE83A0-9096-47D6-AD20-0BF02FBD6FDB.png
    5FCE83A0-9096-47D6-AD20-0BF02FBD6FDB.png
    222 KB · Views: 25
That is the FAS-DPD test kit.
What you have now is a color comparison test for FC/CC. It is good to test FC to 10 ppm if you can tell the colors apart.
The FAS-DPD test is a color change from pink to clear so no guessing. And is good to 50 ppm FC.

The K-2005 uses a comparator that has 6 levels of Chlorine - 1, 2, 3, 5, 7.5 and 10. You need to distinguish the colors to determine what level of chlorine. With the FAS-DPD test you count drops into solution until it turns to clear and you then have a specific chlorine level - not a rationale of color match. Plus the FAS-DPD test can test to much higher chlorine levels.

Don't ya just love this site? One guy asks a question and three people chime in with the same answer.. more or less. So I'll say something different. Check out this site:
Same test with more R-00871 reagent that you will go through faster. for about the same price. Also, does the Amazon say what the expiration date is on the reagents? prolly not, Its always a crab shoot as to whether you are getting fresh reagents from them. That's what I like about the TFTK stuff.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Don't ya just love this site? One guy asks a question and three people chime in with the same answer.. more or less. So I'll say something different. Check out this site:
Same test with more R-00871 reagent that you will go through faster. for about the same price. Also, does the Amazon say what the expiration date is on the reagents? prolly not, Its always a crab shoot as to whether you are getting fresh reagents from them. That's what I like about the TFTK stuff.

I’m pretty much obsessed with this site now haha. My husband calls me a pool nerd but I don’t care! Such nice and helpful people here!

I will look into that kit thank you

Do you know how much reagent that kit comes with? They are practically the same price, except the Amazon one comes with a carrying case and I have a gift card to Amazon, however I love this website and would like to support, especially if it comes with more reagents.

I guess I could always buy a box from the dollar store if I go with this one!

I’m pretty much obsessed with this site now haha. My husband calls me a pool nerd but I don’t care!
We're all pool nerds here. Perhaps we should hold meetings. "Hi, my name is Rocket and I'm a pool nerd." "Hi, Rocket!"
I guess I could always buy a box from the dollar store if I go with this one!
I went the same path as you, getting the Leslie's branded K2005 before learning of the FAS-DPD test. I bought an empty TF-100 case from TFTestKits (plus a SpeedStir) and everything fits if I squeeze them all in. (Spare reagents don't fit, but I have a place for those.) Others have bought tackle boxes & similar, which have even more capacity.

We're all pool nerds here. Perhaps we should hold meetings. "Hi, my name is Rocket and I'm a pool nerd." "Hi, Rocket!"

I went the same path as you, getting the Leslie's branded K2005 before learning of the FAS-DPD test. I bought an empty TF-100 case from TFTestKits (plus a SpeedStir) and everything fits if I squeeze them all in. (Spare reagents don't fit, but I have a place for those.) Others have bought tackle boxes & similar, which have even more capacity.

TFT kit it is. Anyone can buy a box. And there’s plenty of other things to buy on Amazon with my gift card!

Reactions: Mdragger88
The K1515A comes with
R-00870 DPD powder and scoop
.75 oz of R-00871
.75 oz of R-0003
a test vial and case

the TFTK FAS/DPD test comes with
2 oz of R-00871
.75 oz of R-0003
a test vial and no case

I got individual cases for some of the separate tests.. I ended up putting them in another box that would hold everything.
There a few threads of people posting their own testkit cases... like this one!

Last edited:
Reactions: mmardini

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The K1515A comes with
.75 oz of R-00871
.75 oz of R-0003
a test vial and case

the TFTK FAS/DPD test comes with
2 oz of R-00871
.75 oz of R-0003
a test vial and no case

I got individual cases for some of the separate tests.. I ended up putting them in another box that would hold everything.

Thank you! I ended up ordering the TFT kit. I’d be lost without this website!

Hi Rocket, I just got my 2 year pool nerd chip.

I just ordered my second refill kit for the year. I bought a cheap tackle box for my tests. I think use all the spare stuff to make a second kit for a friend that has a pool problem, but has not hit rock bottom yet.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.