False Low flow light pentair IC40

Randy_Pool

Jun 2, 2020
Texas
Having problems with my IC40 generator. Red flow light is on most of the time, but does go green for a while sometimes.
I have cleaned the Cell.
I have tested the switch with a meter, it seems to open and close red and black wire when I push the metal flapper in the line.
I have even soldered the red and black wire to guarantee the switch is closed. But it still intermittently goes Green and stays Red most of the time.

Also checked for 39 Volts going to the cell it's right at 40V.
I have disabled the easytouch from the cell to allow it to function locally, but the flow indicator still stays Red most of the time.

Any ideas?

Randy,

Are you saying that you soldered the Red and Black wires going to the cell together, by passing the switch?

If so, and your flow light is still red, then the cell has to be bad...

Or did you solder the two black wires together, and the two red wires together, just to ensure a good connection??

Most intermittent flow indications are due to a dirty filter. Or running a VS pump at too low of a speed.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Randy,

Are you saying that you soldered the Red and Black wires going to the cell together, by passing the switch?

If so, and your flow light is still red, then the cell has to be bad...

Or did you solder the two black wires together, and the two red wires together, just to ensure a good connection??

Most intermittent flow indications are due to a dirty filter. Or running a VS pump at too low of a speed.

Thanks,

Jim R.
I soldered the black and red wires together, never cut them just stripped some insulation. So the switch is always closed, but light is sometimes green but mostly red.

Cleaned filters, chemistry is all perfect.

Looks like a bad cell.
First Cell lasted 6 years.
Second Cell lasted 3 years.

Seems like no one has came up with a alternate Cell that is Modbus (rs485) linked to the Easy touch. Would be nice to have a alternate choice. It does not appear that the Intelichlor line is up to the standards I would expect from Pentair, I thought they were top of the line.

SWCG life has a lot to do with sizing (is the SWCG sized for at least 2X your pool volume); chemistry maintenance, and how often you clean it with acid. Properly managed pool water chemistry should result in the SWCG never needing to be cleaned with acid.

You can install a different SWCG. You just will not be able to adjust the % generation using the Easytouch.

Randy,

The cell is not bad because it is used up... It appears that it has a failure in the flow detection circuitry...

Normally, the cell will not make any chlorine if the red flow light is on. But, maybe the problem is just the light itself.. ???

Do you know if the automation shows a low flow warning? Was the cell light green, even when the flow light was red..

I guess my point is, if the problem is just the light and not actual low flow, the IC40 might still generate chlorine..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Randy,

I also suspect the cell is bad... but.. You do realize that the "Cell" light comes on and goes off based on the % of output... I'd crank the output up to 100% and check the "Cell" light again, just to make sure it never come on..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Set to 100%,
All looks good at the moment...
Flow green, and cell light on and a few minutes later cell light off.
At 100% should the cell light ever go off?
Seems to me that there must be something wrong with the control board on the Cell. Working for a while, then stopping.

Attachments

• IMG_20200609_151859.jpg
    IMG_20200609_151859.jpg
    275.3 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20200609_151847.jpg
    IMG_20200609_151847.jpg
    271.9 KB · Views: 7
Randy,

I am not sure we have proved anything, as the flow light was also green... :scratch:

What we were trying to prove is that with a "false" red flow light, that the "Cell" light was on... indicating the cell was making chlorine.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.