Equipment Check

JMSMommy

Bronze Supporter
Sep 26, 2020
Houston, TX
Hi All!

Finalizing our bid for our backyard oasis buildout. Just want to confirm that we are not missing anything:

Pool Specs:
Geometric Pool with 3 way spillover spa
Small shelf for 3 bubble gushers
3 sheer descents off a long wall
1 weeping water flow off a second long wall
3 Jandy Watercolor LED lights for pool
1 Jandy Watercolor LED light for Spa

112 perimeter
580 pool area
7x7 (inside measurement) - 9x9 outside with 8 jets
3.5 to 6 feet
18,000 gallons
33 x 19.5 (the spa comes into the pool in the middle, so it's not 19.5 the whole way)

Jandy Filter CV580
1 power chlorinator
1 blower 2HP
Polaris TR-280 with booster pump
Jxi heater 400,000 BTU
2 skimmers - individually pumped

Jandy Epump stealth variable speed 2.0 HP
Jandy Water feature pump 2HP
Jandy Dedicated Spa pump 1.5HP (of my five bids, 2 put a dedicated spa pump and 3 said we dont need it thoughts?)
Aqualink PDA 8

Thanks!

Last edited:
I'd suggest ditching the "Power Chlorinator" and going with a Salt Cell instead.

I'd also ditch the Polaris and its required booster pump, and go with a Robot that saves you money on equipment upfront and saves you electricity when running as it doesn't need an entire second pump to run. It also works far better, climbs the walls to brush them up to the water line, and simplifies your equipment pad.

Maddie :flower:

Reactions: JMSMommy
We went back and forth with this - we are also installing over 1500 sq feet of travertine decking so skeptical with so much travertine (waterline tile and coping as well).

thanks for the feedback on the Polaris. Does the Polaris not climb walls?! Um...I need to rethink this.

3 LED lights for pool - what model lights?
1 LED light for Spa - what model lights?

Jandy has an excellent LED Lighting Design Guide.

Jandy Filter CV580 - good
1 power chlorinator - replace with Aquapure 1400 SWG
1 blower 2HP - good although 2 HP may be too much power
Polaris TR-280 with booster pump - replace with Dolphin robot cleaner
Jxi heater 400,000 BTU - good
2 skimmers - individually pumped - good

Jandy Epump stealth variable speed 2.0 HP - ok
Jandy Water feature pump 2HP - ok
Jandy Dedicated Spa pump 1.5HP (of my five bids, 2 put a dedicated spa pump and 3 said we dont need it thoughts?) - necessary for high pressure jets with 8 jets
Aqualink PDA 8 - ok

Use all Jandy diverter valves. No ball valves.

Minimum 1.5" suction and 2" returns. Preferable 2" suction and equipment plumbing and 2.5" returns.

3 LED lights for pool - what model lights?
1 LED light for Spa - what model lights?

Jandy has an excellent LED Lighting Design Guide.

Jandy Filter CV580 - good
1 power chlorinator - replace with Aquapure 1400 SWG
1 blower 2HP - good although 2 HP may be too much power
Polaris TR-280 with booster pump - replace with Dolphin robot cleaner
Jxi heater 400,000 BTU - good
2 skimmers - individually pumped - good

Jandy Epump stealth variable speed 2.0 HP - ok
Jandy Water feature pump 2HP - ok
Jandy Dedicated Spa pump 1.5HP (of my five bids, 2 put a dedicated spa pump and 3 said we dont need it thoughts?) - necessary for high pressure jets with 8 jets
Aqualink PDA 8 - ok

Use all Jandy diverter valves. No ball valves.

Minimum 1.5" suction and 2" returns. Preferable 2" suction and equipment plumbing and 2.5" returns.

Thanks! Yes, lights are Jandy Watercolor LED. Forgot to put that.

I believe the suctions are 2" and returns are 2.5" but I'll ask via email to confirm. I'll ask about the valves.

I am re thinking the Polaris. Should I still have them stub out for future pressure sided cleaner like a future Polaris? It's so hard to figure out with the technology changing so much.

I happen to like a pressure side cleaner but the only one I would get today is...

No, that would mean you're buying and adding a complete other booster pump to your equipment pad, along with the pipe to the pool and another hole in the pool that would go unused. That's a lotta greenbacks to pay for a "just in case" old fashioned sweeper.
As one of the Mods here says- a sweeper is the rotary phone compared to a robot which is a cell phone.
I believe you would save money by ONLY needing a robot and a power outlet near the pool.

No, that would mean you're buying and adding a complete other booster pump to your equipment pad, along with the pipe to the pool and another hole in the pool that would go unused. That's a lotta greenbacks to pay for a "just in case" old fashioned sweeper.
As one of the Mods here says- a sweeper is the rotary phone compared to a robot which is a cell phone.
I believe you would save money by ONLY needing a robot and a power outlet near the pool.

I love saving money! this is tremendously helpful!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You won't save money on a quattro- It runs over a thousand bucks, add your booster pump cost and higher energy costs.

The Dolphin runs about $700.

Maddie :flower:

Yes, I meant getting the dolphin instead of a pressure sided cleaner. =) I got excited with saving money and didn't clarify.

It's very stressful making these decisions especially since its hard to add these pumps later....we first thought of getting an in floor cleaning system (A&A) and then changed to doing the Polaris with booster pump. Will probably change to the dolphin now.

Based on your comment, I assumed you searched all the forums on TFP regarding Travertine. Some have done the sealant and been happy but as you state you have a lot of decking plus coping and water tiles so clearly it is a personal preference regarding SWG use. Exactly what is a power chlorinator? I tried to search that but that term confuses me. Is it using pucks or will it be liquid chlorine?

Agree with Maddie that best to go to a robot. I have the older version Polaris 280 and while it does OK, it does not climb well to clean the walls. If you go with robot, then you need to plan to have an electrical outlet near the pool but within code.

Your spa is large and with 8 jets which is why some have pushed for a separate pump. Have they told you what size pipe you will have as suction and return for the spa? That may drive the need for a separate pump or not.

It is good that you have a separate pump for your water feature. Ensure those are also independently plumbed back or as a minimum have separate control valves so you can balance which you want.

Post some pictures of your planned design.

Based on your comment, I assumed you searched all the forums on TFP regarding Travertine. Some have done the sealant and been happy but as you state you have a lot of decking plus coping and water tiles so clearly it is a personal preference regarding SWG use. Exactly what is a power chlorinator? I tried to search that but that term confuses me. Is it using pucks or will it be liquid chlorine?

Agree with Maddie that best to go to a robot. I have the older version Polaris 280 and while it does OK, it does not climb well to clean the walls. If you go with robot, then you need to plan to have an electrical outlet near the pool but within code.

Your spa is large and with 8 jets which is why some have pushed for a separate pump. Have they told you what size pipe you will have as suction and return for the spa? That may drive the need for a separate pump or not.

It is good that you have a separate pump for your water feature. Ensure those are also independently plumbed back or as a minimum have separate control valves so you can balance which you want.

Post some pictures of your planned design.

Thanks! Actually, I have no clue what the power cholrinator means...I have been so busy looking at design, cartridges, pumps, etc. I didn't think to ask about the chlorinator and what that is. I will ask. Yes, with so much travertine, we are very hesitant with the salt water, but to be fair, I didn't even ask after the first builder was a flat out no. So, let me ask on Monday. Note: we are deciding between two final builders and one did say we would have to sign a wavier saying we waive the warranty on the decking/waterline tile, etc. Let me ask the first choice builder.

I'll definitely explore the robot way. I believe we have outlets already, but I'll ask and confirm that robot can be used.

I'll ask about the size of the suction and returns. I want to say 2" but I'll get it writing via email as a confirmation.

Regarding water feature, I had asked this question earlier this week to the builder about this, this was his response: You have a valve at the back so you can control which one can come on individually, but from remote all will turn on. You can control pressure of water. It does run from water feature pump.

Attached a photo of planned design.

Attachments

• AS.sav Design 7_006.jpg
    AS.sav Design 7_006.jpg
    641.8 KB · Views: 23
Regarding water feature, I had asked this question earlier this week to the builder about this, this was his response: You have a valve at the back so you can control which one can come on individually, but from remote all will turn on. You can control pressure of water. It does run from water feature pump.
What I feel he is saying is that the water feature pump can be turned on/off remotely/via automation (Aqualink PDA). It will have a line to the long wall where it will branch off to supply each of the 3 sheer decents waterfall. Each branch will have a manual valve that you can turn on or off. It is unclear how you will control this other weeping water flow off a second long wall. Also how will you control the bubble gushers. You may ask to have the PB provide a preliminary plumbing plan so you can determine if that meets your expectations. There is no right or wrong, just the method as to how you wish to control each feature and whether you want to do that manually or via remote.

I have no clue what the power chlorinator means..
Best to get this clarified as it will influence how you sanitize your pool. Since it will not be a salt pool my assumption is that it is an inline chlorinator (that uses pucks) with the "power" being the water flow through it to dissolve the pucks. But lets see what the PB states.

The pool design looks great - it appears to be a wonderful setting.

What I feel he is saying is that the water feature pump can be turned on/off remotely/via automation (Aqualink PDA). It will have a line to the long wall where it will branch off to supply each of the 3 sheer decents waterfall. Each branch will have a manual valve that you can turn on or off. It is unclear how you will control this other weeping water flow off a second long wall. Also how will you control the bubble gushers. You may ask to have the PB provide a preliminary plumbing plan so you can determine if that meets your expectations. There is no right or wrong, just the method as to how you wish to control each feature and whether you want to do that manually or via remote.

Best to get this clarified as it will influence how you sanitize your pool. Since it will not be a salt pool my assumption is that it is an inline chlorinator (that uses pucks) with the "power" being the water flow through it to dissolve the pucks. But lets see what the PB states.

The pool design looks great - it appears to be a wonderful setting.

Thank you for your input! I'll clarify on Monday with the PB. Yes, now that I re-reading for the 50th time, it is unclear about the weeping water flow and the gushers. I'll ask. They did say that the water feature plumbing would be behind the wall so we can control there instead of the pad where the main pumps are and cover with landscaping. Let me ask again to clarify.

Yes - I'll definitely ask about the power chlorinator. So glad I posted today - such great feedback!

Thank you regarding the design. I am excited about it. I may raise the wall size a little now after looking at WhiskeyFox's pool pics! =)

I'm not sure if you like it or not, but I was told a single 6 ft sheer waterfall costs less than 3 small ones, and is less plumbing too. No hate at all, the design is beautiful I just like the longer singular sheer descents plus it's cheaper haha. I thought 1 long one was more expensive back when I was where you're at as many of the first quotes had them instead of 1 big one.

Keep in mind the higher you go the more noise they will make, for us that was a + as we back up to a busy intersection.

Regarding SWG, I think you will enjoy it over lugging jugs of chlorine to the pool and for some reason no builders here want to use one. My PB is still warning me about how much trouble it's going to be...but he's been doing the same thing for 20 years and is stuck in his ways.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.