Equipment Check

I'm not sure if you like it or not, but I was told a single 6 ft sheer waterfall costs less than 3 small ones, and is less plumbing too. No hate at all, the design is beautiful I just like the longer singular sheer descents plus it's cheaper haha. I thought 1 long one was more expensive back when I was where you're at as many of the first quotes had them instead of 1 big one.

Keep in mind the higher you go the more noise they will make, for us that was a + as we back up to a busy intersection.

Regarding SWG, I think you will enjoy it over lugging jugs of chlorine to the pool and for some reason no builders here want to use one. My PB is still warning me about how much trouble it's going to be...but he's been doing the same thing for 20 years and is stuck in his ways.

Last edited:
I'm not sure if you like it or not, but I was told a single 6 ft sheer waterfall costs less than 3 small ones, and is less plumbing too. No hate at all, the design is beautiful I just like the longer singular sheer descents plus it's cheaper haha. I thought 1 long one was more expensive back when I was where you're at as many of the first quotes had them instead of 1 big one.

Keep in mind the higher you go the more noise they will make, for us that was a + as we back up to a busy intersection.

Regarding SWG, I think you will enjoy it over lugging jugs of chlorine to the pool and for some reason no builders here want to use one. My PB is still warning me about how much trouble it's going to be...but he's been doing the same thing for 20 years and is stuck in his ways.

Hmm..I dont really have a preference to be honest. I'll ask. We do have three 3 foot descents, so not sure if they make a 9 foot descent. I'll ask on Monday.

I was just researching travertine and salt water pools. Let me research some more. Believe it or not, it's my husband that wants the travertine decking (SMH - for once it's not me making a dent to the budget!).

Thanks!

If you're looking to save bucks don't buy the robot thru the PB (unless you're feeling magnanimous and don't mind his profit) as we know where to buy it for far less than what the PB will sell it to you for.

A Chlorinator is usually a tall column packed with pucks that dissolve into the water. The pucks contain both chlorine and stabilizer.....the problem lies in that the stabilizer will build up too high in short order and unless you drain/refill the water routinely too high stabilizer makes the available chlorine ineffective. Algae can move in and takes up house. The only way to lower the stabilizer level is to replace the pool water. This is why we suggest a SWG or liquid chlorine for routine sanitation.

Maddie :flower:

Reactions: DanF and JMSMommy
Really dumb question - if we switch to a SWG, are all of the Jandy pumps, lights, etc fine with the salt water? I have read that a salt water system will sometimes damage the pumps, lights, etc and so what we get needs to be okay with salt water. I am assuming it is fine because Jandy is a huge pool brand but I want to ask my dumb question anyways.

I am now seriously re thinking the entire selection of materials now - non travertine deck, etc. My PB is gonna think I am a crazy lady.

Really dumb question - if we switch to a SWG, are all of the Jandy pumps, lights, etc fine with the salt water? I have read that a salt water system will sometimes damage the pumps, lights, etc and so what we get needs to be okay with salt water.

You have not read that on this site. Blaming the SWG is a common excuse builders use. All pool equipment are compatible with the low levels of salt a SWG system uses in the water. That salt is only 10% the level of the salt water ocean.

Last edited:
Reactions: JMSMommy
You have not read that on this site. Blaming the SWG is a common excuse builders use. All pool equipment are compatable with the low levels of salt a SWG system uses in the water. That salt is only 10% the level of the salt water ocean.

Yes - you are right - I have not read on this site at all! More like my google searches and talking to builders. Okay...yeah we are switching. I need to switch my deck material and coping material and we are good to go! Oh and also need to get rid of the Polaris.

thanks all!

Pools owners that do not add salt and a SWG actually end up SALT pools because each and every chemical added to the pool breaks down an leaves a bit of salt behind. So if you fill up a pool this year on day one the salt would be zero. One year later the salt would be almost half of what you need for a SWG... people don't realize that!

Maddie :flower:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
What I feel he is saying is that the water feature pump can be turned on/off remotely/via automation (Aqualink PDA). It will have a line to the long wall where it will branch off to supply each of the 3 sheer decents waterfall. Each branch will have a manual valve that you can turn on or off. It is unclear how you will control this other weeping water flow off a second long wall. Also how will you control the bubble gushers. You may ask to have the PB provide a preliminary plumbing plan so you can determine if that meets your expectations. There is no right or wrong, just the method as to how you wish to control each feature and whether you want to do that manually or via remote.

Best to get this clarified as it will influence how you sanitize your pool. Since it will not be a salt pool my assumption is that it is an inline chlorinator (that uses pucks) with the "power" being the water flow through it to dissolve the pucks. But lets see what the PB states.

The pool design looks great - it appears to be a wonderful setting.

Okay, designer wrote back regarding controlling the features. Here is what he said:
If you wanted to control each one separate you would need an automatic actuator at each valve. You can control separately manually by turning on and off valves for each water feature but it is not deal because it will send more water to the others. You can also have a separate water pump to control lets say the wall water features and the other for bubblers.

**So should I ask for an automatic actuator for each valve?

In terms of the chlorinator - yes, it's tab. He didn't seem to have an issue about switching over. Just said its coersive, so be aware and to make sure we power wash our deck and property twice a year ( we do that anyways). Metals will be an issue on the property so be aware.

In terms of returns/suction. Yes - 2.5/2.0 Correct. And we also do sweep elbows instead of 90 degree at pubming to give the pool better water pressure. We also use 40 pvc pipes not flex pies. So we bend them on site with heat. This also helps for good water pressure and just having the equipment run smoother.

I dont think designer understood my question on diverter valve vs ball valves. He just confirmed Jandy valves. I'll ask again.

Thoughts?

Just ensure it is a Jandy never-lube valve.
Per the original equipment and feature list, you have 4 pumps
1 is a VS pool pump which is great
1 is a booster pump which is not needed if you go with a robot cleaner
1 is a spa pump (may or may not need depending on which PB you select and how they want to run the jets or if the VS pump can handle that)
1 is a water feature pump
The features you wish to have are
Small shelf for 3 bubble gushers
3 sheer descents off a long wall
1 weeping water flow off a second long wall
For sure you do not want a pump for each feature but you do want control for each.
The bubble gushers can be connected to the main VS pool pump with a Jandy valve and you can control whether they are on or off when pool is circulating.
The sheer decents and weeping water flow can both be plumbed to the dedicated water feature pump. Each would have its own valve to turn both on or one or the other on. At the back of the sheer decent wall you can have a manual valve to each of the decents therefore you can control flow to each (or isolate one if there is an issue in the future).
Furthermore, you could request all the plumbing be run back as independent lines to the equipment pad and put all the valves there (rather than behind the decent wall). Also, each valve can be manual or use an automatic actuator however you only have so many circuits on your Main Control system so best to understand what you wish to control via remote and those you wish to control manually.
There is a lot to think through but there are also multiple ways to accomplish this to meet your needs.

1 is a spa pump (may or may not need depending on which PB you select and how they want to run the jets or if the VS pump can handle that)
For sure you do not want a pump for each feature but you do want control for each.
The bubble gushers can be connected to the main VS pool pump with a Jandy valve and you can control whether they are on or off when pool is circulating.
The sheer decents and weeping water flow can both be plumbed to the dedicated water feature pump. Each would have its own valve to turn both on or one or the other on. At the back of the sheer decent wall you can have a manual valve to each of the decents therefore you can control flow to each (or isolate one if there is an issue in the future).
Furthermore, you could request all the plumbing be run back as independent lines to the equipment pad and put all the valves there (rather than behind the decent wall). Also, each valve can be manual or use an automatic actuator however you only have so many circuits on your Main Control system so best to understand what you wish to control via remote and those you wish to control manually.
There is a lot to think through but there are also multiple ways to accomplish this to meet your needs.

Thank you! This makes sense. We are most likely going with the builder that recommended the dedicated spa pump.

I may have too many water features....I may just take these gushers out and simplify.

This back from my PB: Answer: I would keep as you have. We can run the bubblers with the pool pump and the sheer descensta nd weeping wall with water feature pump.

**this was no prompting from me. His idea. =) So sounds like we are good or at least know that I am thinking about this and will make a big stink about it. I'll bring it up prior to the build meeting.

Reactions: HermanTX
Thank you everyone for your feedback!

We switched over to salt water, PB will be using Jandy APUREM and the PLC1400. My PB also didn't seem to have an issue with the salt water (I think at this point he is probably very tired of my detailed questions regarding diverter valves, suction/return sizes, which feature will be routed to which pump, etc or he knows I am getting advice from some wise people!). He also didn't seem to worried about the travertine. He said it will be overall fine - yes there is erosion but it will be okay.

We also got rid of the Polaris; will get a dolphin.

I think we are good to go. Thanks everyone!

Reactions: HermanTX
We switched over to salt water, PB will be using Jandy APUREM and the PLC1400.
This is rated at 40,000 gals which is good as it is 2x your planned pool volume.
Appears you got everything going the right way.
it be good for PB to supply you with an updated spec sheet or quote to ensure all the changes are updated.

This is rated at 40,000 gals which is good as it is 2x your planned pool volume.
Appears you got everything going the right way.
it be good for PB to supply you with an updated spec sheet or quote to ensure all the changes are updated.

Yes, I already have that. Thanks for the reminder.
And thank you for explaining the gallon size - I missed that as well.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.