Eminent Weather- Hopefully this is the right forum.

A member a few years ago wrote this to document their experience following Hurricane Harvey. I suspect some of the info will help you prepare. 👍 For sure add some extra chlorine just to get a head start. It’s ALOT easier to add now than it’ll be trying to add it during the rainfall.

It will, some, but not as much as you are thinking. Assuming you start at 48" actual water depth, you have 13.5K gallons. Add 6 inches and you are at 15.2K. That would dilute the chlorine by a bit over 10%. If you started out at FC 8, you would still be over 7 after dilution.

If you get 6" of rain in a 12 hour period it is less about the dilution, than about stuff that will wash into your pool. Maybe less risk in an above ground, but there will still be debris. It is always prudent to increase your FC levels in advance of that. Maybe not quite SLAM level but 20% of your CYA wont hurt, and can only help. The worst thing to happen is you have spent a little extra money on chlorine.

I would also stock up on some chlorine in case you get worse.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If you have an SWG I’d be ready to put some extra in. I’m putting my SWG at 4000 ppm and that’s what the SWG says not what I measure with my Taylor kit. I’ve also got my FC up to 12 today. Better safe than sorry. I’ve had my salt go from 3600 to 2600 after two heavy rain rainstorms last May.

Reactions: Newdude
Trust me you haven’t seen HOUSTON rain before. We can get 6” in less than a day easily.
I can never fathom how off the weather reports are. We have several tracking places locally that will claim we got 3/4 inch and I’ll see 7 in my wheelbarrow or anything else around the yard that can collect water. In just a few hours. And with nothing above them that could have funneled more water their way. Whenever they say XXX with ‘locally higher amounts’, They ain’t kidding.

My friends who have questionable chemistry at best go cloudy or green afterwards all the time. They are always playing catch-up after a good storm and it factored heavily into me not wanting a pool for the longest time. Give yourself room for error. It will never hurt and you have everything to gain.

Move.
Slide your rump
Just for a minute, let’s all do the bump
Bump
Bump
Bump

HaHa, Yeaaaaaaaah
6F35F39D-A4FC-40D7-83A6-002F7FC14ECA.gif

Stay safe all who are in the way

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.