Pump and PVC Melted under Blanket w Halogen Light during TN deep freeze 2024

I put a blanket over the shed opening last year during the super cold event. I have all the supplies I need to blow out the lines and drain everything in case I ever lost power during a freezing event. Gizmo, bungee plugs for the returns, skimmer plate cover, dummy pipe for the swg. The thing that screwed everything up was the ice around the pool pump inside the bottom of the shed. I couldn’t get the drain plugs out of pump. My only guess is the snow melted outside the shed in the sun, and it drained downhill into the pool shed and froze when in the shade. That’s when I panicked and grabbed blankets and the work light. Stupid mistake! I still can’t believe it got so hot, every time I checked under there … it barely felt warm and the ice wasn’t melting.

View attachment 551468
When you posted that you were using those lights I almost said something (I have seen them catch things on fire before).
I didn’t because I thought it was sooo cold that it would probably be ok for a short while but the blanket still concerned me.
My heart literally sank when you posted the damage & how long you were away 😩
Although it was bad it could have been much worse. So glad it wasn’t!
As much as I hate to be a Debbie downer in the future I will speak up when I have a concern. I’m so sorry this happened!

IMG_0958.jpegIMG_0959.jpegThey finished repairing my damage today. It looks like they replaced more PVC, the pump was up and running when I got home. When I got home last night and I started it up, there was an leak under the multiport valve area. They were here 1.5 hours yesterday and 45 minutes today … that’s a lot faster than it would have taken me to do it! I haven’t heard from the PB or gotten the bill yet. 😅

I called my PB last week because they never called or billed me, they said they would have to get with the worker to find out how much he had to repair ... but I still haven't heard from them. I went out yesterday and heard an awful loud sound in the backyard. It thought it was coming from a neighbor, but it was my pool pump. Extremely loud noise while running at low and high rpms. I cut off the pump and will make a video tomorrow when I have time. I can't win for losing lol

• Sad
Reactions: Newdude
I had to replace the pressure gauge on my MPV to stop a leak. It also appears that I have a sunction side leak near the pool pump. Bubbles come inside my filter basket when I turn off the skimmer or main drain ball valve. I'll try running water over the pipes tonight to see if I can find the leak. One thing after another.
I got charged for a new MPV but I cant really tell if its new or not ...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
PB came out today and fixed my suction side leak. It seemed like it was coming from the top of the pump from a pvc joint/union. I guess I’ll pay the bill now 🤑
IMG_1285.jpeg

Reactions: Newdude
PB came out today and fixed my suction side leak. It seemed like it was coming from the top of the pump from a pvc joint/union. I guess I’ll pay the bill now 🤑
View attachment 555862
Leaking from the top side is the discharge side of the pump so it wouldn’t be a suction leak but under pressure. If what appears to be silicone applied around the threads of the union into the pump housing was the fix, I’d be concerned about the long term durability of the repair. I see those types of repairs open back up over time due to flexing of the housing, heat etc. CMP sells a self sealing high temp union that utilizes an o-ring and is well designed for just this application, better imo than the standard union that’s often utilized because it’s cheaper and readily available on suppliers shelves.

Reactions: Apsuhead