Electrical issue with Hayward Tristar v950 Omni

aswinjohn

Aug 12, 2023
Cypress, TX
Hey folks, got a pool as part of buying a home 2 months back. Learning things the hard way.

Yesterday, got an alert on OmniLogic pool app : msp_dev_comm_loss,comm loss device:10-01-13-b2-04 hua:vsp

This forum was the only place I could find on how to troubleshoot. Based on the recommendations, I looked at the wiring, and it seems the wiring from hv voltage to pump and Ferrite bead burned.

Any recommendations, while I chase the original owners to check if there is warranty (pool was installed in 2021). I don’t even know whom to call at this point.

Attachments

• IMG_0416.jpeg
    IMG_0416.jpeg
    595.5 KB · Views: 20
This happened at noon, no lightning.

No home warranty, but kept a bit for emergency fund. Looks like I will drive to get a new drive first. Going to call Hayward on Monday to see if there are technicians in the area, or if it’s something I can do myself.

I have some good news. Since I was planning to replace the drive, thought I’d check what’s on the HV board. Turns out there was nothing to get fried.
IMG_0419.jpeg
Bought a new ferrite bead and some power cables and soldered in new wires. Pump now works ! Yay!
IMG_0424.jpeg
Now, still concerned what caused the original problem. We have been having high temps in Texas. Or an EMI pulse heated up the ferrite bead. Asked an electrician to come in and put a pool sub panel (all pumps are currently on a 50 amp breaker) and surge protection.

I have some good news. Since I was planning to replace the drive, thought I’d check what’s on the HV board. Turns out there was nothing to get fried.
View attachment 522741
Bought a new ferrite bead and some power cables and soldered in new wires. Pump now works ! Yay!
View attachment 522742
Now, still concerned what caused the original problem. We have been having high temps in Texas. Or an EMI pulse heated up the ferrite bead. Asked an electrician to come in and put a pool sub panel (all pumps are currently on a 50 amp breaker) and surge protection.
Glad I was wrong.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.