Electrical hook up of hayward filter

bergant

Jun 7, 2020
Sioux City
I am replacing an intex pump with a hayward pump to go with my sand filter. The fittings adaptors that I purchased work perfectly, but I am wondering about the electrical part. There is a grounding lug on the side and it has a three prong plug. Am I okay to just plug it into a gfci? My intex was plugged into gfci, but it also had its own reset botton on the end it the cord. Also the cord is only 6ft long and the instructions say to not use and extension cord.

Welcome to TFP! :wave: As long as the power source has GFCI protection installed somewhere in the circuit, and it is rated for the equipment to be used (pools are often 20 amps), it's fine to use. The GFCI might be built-in to the outlet, or sometimes the GFCI is the breaker in the electrical panel. You can plug the pump's plug directly into the GFCI outlet as long as the prongs all match. Extension cords are a different issue. The textbook answer is that extension cords should not be used, at least not permanently. Often times it's to avoid having a connection exposed to moisture, or the extension cord itself is not rated (amps) properly and could potentially overheat. For pools that are located a good distance away from the house, we recommend having an electrical outlet installed at the pool's equipment pad - GFCI protected of course.

The grounding lug on the side of the new pump is for bonding . Read the thread below to see how that applies to your situation. Hope that helps.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.