Eastern PA region - when do you open?

We can get some big snow dumps in early March. I usually open in mid-April.

Reactions: l1ltaral1l
I actually love having snow in the winter, and this year has been a major bust so far. I hope we have a good storm or two.

BUTTTT. 50 deg weekends are pretty lovely too, especially having kids. Being outside = tired kids which then = happy Mom ?

How's your gas bill? I bought a house with a pool and heater but haven't used the heater yet thinking heating the pool will be expensive.
I realize this question was posed to someone else, however in Northern VA I typically heat my pool over night or for around 10 hours bring the temps up about 15 degrees or so. I estimate its cost approximately $4 an hour to heat. Depending on how cold it gets this will normally keep the pool warm through the weekend.

i imagine if I had a bubble cover it would retain the heat for longer. I also have a very old Pentair MiniMax Plus 400k BTU heater from 1999.

How's your gas bill? I bought a house with a pool and heater but haven't used the heater yet thinking heating the pool will be expensive.
I like to keep the water temp around 80-90 from March up until October. I also have equal payment plan it’s about 150-200 per month all year long. This year I’ll look into a bubble wrap cover to help retain some heat over night hours.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I like to keep the water temp around 80-90 from March up until October. I also have equal payment plan it’s about 150-200 per month all year long. This year I’ll look into a bubble wrap cover to help retain some heat over night hours.

I thought u couldn’t run a ng heater under a certain temp? How do u run it in March?

I thought u couldn’t run a ng heater under a certain temp? How do u run it in March?

You can run a pool heater as long a you keep the water temperature above 70 degrees.

What you do not want to do is constantly let the pool water temperature drop below 70 and heat it back up, or use the heater to heat the water between 40 and 60F to keep it from freezing for example.

You can run a pool heater as long a you keep the water temperature above 70 degrees.

What you do not want to do is constantly let the pool water temperature drop below 70 and heat it back up, or use the heater to heat the water between 40 and 60F to keep it from freezing for example.

. So if I open at 32 degree water I can warm it up to 70 but then have to maintain it there?

We have zero nights below 32 for the next 14 days. I might do it wicked early this year!

we actually fished the river yesterday cause there is no ice jams. The levels are actually summer low right now. It’s just a wacky winter

I'm waiting until at least mid-April. This is too early just paying for gas and maintenance. Still too cold to swim (air temp)! If my water gets close to 60 though I'd open early. We are 60s most of this week. Gotta check the water temp.

I admit, we would open in May and use the heater but recently the grackle (?) birds started to dive bomb our pool with baby bird poop to clean their nests. I found it easier to deal with poop on the cover vs. poop in the bottom of the pool. So we started getting everything balanced and moving, but not taking the cover off until the end of May, beginning of June.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.